• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Mannfred!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yes, the greatest Vampire in existence... anyone here used him yet? I'm seriously considering taking him along to the GT with me (If I go at all). 690 points is a lot, but not much more than a Lord and 1-2 Heroes, and I am a great fan of his so that justifies it to me. A 3+ Ward Save is handy as well...

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
His staff is awesome, cast IoN 11+ with it every round. your opponent is looking at spending 3-4 dispell dice to stop it and you dont have to spend any power dice. He is fantastic.

Since quite a while I think. Hence that Thorek/Anvil of Doom/ Gunline armies being quite popular/
Yep I agree EvC, take him he is literally rather good, saying that though it's 2K in the GT isnt it? That does not leave you alot left to play with...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
When it's GW's main tournament and they're pushing Special Characters like there's no tomorrow! I do love the staff as well, being able to raise all those extra troops for free (Or put a nasty Curse on certain units) almost makes up for the points deficiency you suffer for taking an expensive special character. I note he actually has weaker stats than a normal Vampire Lord as well, only WS7, tut-tut.

So what's preferable, combining him with a Necromancer or Thrall/ Wight Lord? I think it's got to be the Necromancer, if only to be able to use a Dispel Scroll and the Book of Arkhan.

...and, this be the first time I get to use the "Summon Wolves" ability. Hello unstoppable march-blocking... it'll teach them gunlines too! :D

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
If I was playing with Mannfred I would supplement him with the Book of Arkhan and Dispel Scroll thrall. It seems to be that the extra Necromancer tips the balance back into favour of a strong VC magic phase.

Book of Arkhan and Dispel Scroll thrall.
Non-necarch thralls can't carry arcane items.

Mannfred allows us to field one of our best WAACs armies - Mannfred with the SoC AoS list is amazing. His staff coupled with the grave markers generates a pretty solid and relentless magic phase that would make Tomb Kings blush (well...you know...they would if they had any flesh ;)).

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
The Inspector said:
Mannfred allows us to field one of our best WAACs armies - Mannfred with the SoC AoS list is amazing. His staff coupled with the grave markers generates a pretty solid and relentless magic phase that would make Tomb Kings blush (well...you know...they would if they had any flesh ;)).
When you use Mannfred with the Army of Sylvania list, does he get any extra direct benefits, like Earthbind, Master of Wolves etc.?

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Vlad gets them while Mannfred is restricted. Quite silly really but I assume its to show Mannfreds invasion while Vlad was defending. This will probably change though.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Well it's got to change one way or another, as alternate army lists are considered obselete when the new army books are released... but will GW still include Mannfred, or go with the ridiculous Nemesis Crown background stating Mannfred is dead?!

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mannfred seems to be a master of political intrigue. I expect Walkadir to experience a 'bump' on his way to Slyvania!

What do you think the best spell to be able to autocast out of the range is - is IoN the automatically the best to get? I think Curse of Years would be better.

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
Depends, if you cast curse of years, with the bound item, is it auto broken when you cast another spell?

I personally want to use that bound item every turn, IoN has a lot of strategic value, so it isn't like its a bad spell to cast. And I can cast it every turn, draining a lot of DD from my opponent.

Curse of years, does minimal damage in the first round of combat, and really needs the second to start hurting. Although it can be used to drain the opponents power dice, if they want to avoid that second round... interesting.

Full-strength IoN is probably the best choice for casting with the Staff (at least for the first few turns). With Mannfred's high cost, most bets say that you have a pretty small army if you are playing a standard sized game (2000pts), and the IoN helps to raise some units to fill in the gaps.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ah, good points, you have to be quite tactical with what you use. For example when I use Mannfred, I think I'll probably use the Staff's spell at the beginning of the magic phase- just in case a miscast comes up later and either ends the phase or stops Mannfred from taking any more actions. Thus to use Curse of Years would be a bit of a waste... but I can imagine myself using VHD with it from time to time, if it's crucial.

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
A couple of questions has occurred to me reading the descriptions - does the staff allow the casting of any spell from the list, or just those that he has? Also, is it his one allowable casting per turn, or is it in addition to these (ie can he cast one IoN himself, and then use the staff for a second)?

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
I would interpret it as one of the spells he has, and it's in addition to it's normal casting.

I don't think being "dead" will affect Manfred being in the new book. If he "died" at hell fenn then either GW don't care or he wouldn't have been in the current book.

Also Gorbad Ironclaw is in the new O&G book despite being dead. pagr 33 O&G book
"Even today, many centuries after his death..."

So if Manfred isn't in the new book, I don't think his "death" will be the reason.

In my preparation games for GT I faced Manfred with army of Sylvania and it was a really tough match for my High Elfs.

All those bound spells followed by 6 power dice is hard to stop. It seamed as a very worthwile thing to do to cast Invocation on 11+ with the Staff as the first spell and than bulk out that unit even more with grave markers as oponent is waiting for the rest of the horrors.

He is very dangerous and I should have lost but my oponent couldn't roll that 3+ to ward him from a Dragon.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Skaramak von Carstein said:
A couple of questions has occurred to me reading the descriptions - does the staff allow the casting of any spell from the list, or just those that he has? Also, is it his one allowable casting per turn, or is it in addition to these (ie can he cast one IoN himself, and then use the staff for a second)?
I think he knows all 6 spells anyway and I would say he can cast ION and then let the staff do it again but not 100% on that one...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
It's Zacharias that knows all the spells sadly- I'm sure I remembered Mannfred having more goodies (Like all six spells plus a magic staff that reveals the magic items in nearby units) before I decided I'd be using him!

I'm not sure about the staff, given that Mannfred could have up to 11 power dice to use per turn, it seems a shame if he couldn't use it to cast the same spell twice- but I don't think people running the tournaments will see it that way...

The Dead of Night said:
I would interpret it as one of the spells he has, and it's in addition to it's normal casting.

I don't think being "dead" will affect Manfred being in the new book. If he "died" at hell fenn then either GW don't care or he wouldn't have been in the current book.

Also Gorbad Ironclaw is in the new O&G book despite being dead. pagr 33 O&G book
"Even today, many centuries after his death..."

So if Manfred isn't in the new book, I don't think his "death" will be the reason.
Hmm that's true I suppose- Eltharion is in the new High Elf book for example and he's in "historical" mode (On Griffon!) so with someone like Mannfred they could include him or not, and not even have to say if he's dead or alive...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
So, first game with Mannfred tonight, fighting the Pope (Empire lead by Arch Lector). Will let you know how it goes!