• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Most Survivable BSB

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hey ya'll

I'm trying to come up with a BSB that absolutly will not die. My idea/plan is to have my general and BSB in the same unit (Big ole block of GG). Then I will have a fortitude of 4 in the 1 unit thus people cannot ignore that unit if they wish to win. Combat output is not important.

Vampire: There are tons of vampiric powers (Begile, AoDM, DreanKnight) that can help it live.

Wight King: Cannot take vampiric powers, not a spell caster (Can be good or bad), but T5 with 3W aint to shabby, and 20 points cheaper to boot.

Ideas?

akiro27

Wight King
Careful with dreadknight - you'll have to issue/accept challenges. Counterproductive!

If you didn't need to be in the same unit, i'd be all like COVEN THRONE!!

-aki

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
What does the rest of your list look like?

In a dual engine list:

WK BSB with nightshroud and seed of rebirth. With a shield and HA this guy will have T5, 4+ Armour save and a 4+ regen save when close to the ME's. HE will help out the VL i CC too.. T5 together with nightshroud is actually rather good.. I would always have a 4++ wardsave reserved for your general.

Armour of destiny could be an alternative in a non engine list.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
The reason I say dreadknight is to get cheap WS boost and being in a challenge isn't all bad, you're reducing the number of attacks coming at you. I agree with the coven throne but the reason behind taking the BSB is so that I can get my fortitude in that 1 unit up.

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dread Knight is only a no go on a kitted out CC VL. Not on a defensivly kitted baby vamp BSB. As said you reduce attacks against you, still think you will have a better run for your money with the WK.!

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Oh and that is deffinetly possible! I just have never built a good BSB so I'm lookin for ideas, maybe things that people have tried?

akiro27

Wight King
If im not going death magic snipes from hero vamps, or some sort of "many casters with the upgraded mortis engine" strategy, then i take a Wight King for a BSB.

T5 is awesome and it's often unexpected. Heavy Armor, shield, Nightshroud, 6+ regen is pretty great (doubly good next to a mortis engine). Also good if mounted you get 2+ AS. Sure the shroud is expensive, but it really makes that t5 shine.

-luke

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Regen gives you nothing against KB and you have to rely on the engines sticking around if you use the seed. Nightshroud doesn't give you protection against snipe spells or hochland long rifles. Greater Daemons have Str 6 base and don't care about the shroud.

badfox7

Black Knight
Do a vampire with glittering scales, fencer blades, beguile and aura of dark majesty and it will be hard to hit him.

badfox7 said:
Do a vampire with glittering scales, fencer blades, beguile and aura of dark majesty and it will be hard to hit him.

A BSB has a 50 point magic item limit so can't take Glittering Scales and Fencer Blades. On top of that, as mentioned before, I believe no vampire should ever take Glittering Scales. It's wrong for vampires to sparkle.

badfox7

Black Knight
Oops. I didn't add the points up correctly. My point was to make the bsb as hard to hit as possible.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
My Vamp BSB with:
Scroll of Shielding
MR2
Charmed Shield

is pretty durable, though he's never meant to see combat so I guess that's a good way of keeping him alive!

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Lol, yeah just not being in combat sure would help, but he's going to be in a combat unit sooooo I can't really steal that trick.

So the best one I've noticed so far is just a wight king with the Armor of Destiny? I mean, you give him BSB and a great weapon and he's 165. Not terrible but I feel like you could get more for your money.

My vote is WK with a 4+ ward and a enchanted sheild. 3+4+ is about as good as you are gonna get on foot hero. Better if you have a lord with the nightshround next to him. If you are not worried about cannonballs stick said WK on a barded steed for 1+ 4+ goodness. Even if you are getting cannoned a unit of 5 dire wolves give him a lookout Sir! if they hang out nearby which is easy to do as he is on the corner.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well, The 4++ is on the lord, hence why I just gave him the armor 4++. With the armor I can't have the enchanted shield because of points and item restrictions (2 Magical armors) :(

I don't want to mount him because I don't know if I like him for 1 (I may go with a vamp for the extra magic and a touch of fighting capabilities) and I don't want to have to buy one if I'm never going to use him outside of a few games. And I want to keep him in the GG and potentially move him around as I see fit incase a big scary character is in front of him, which cannot be done with a mounted character in an infantry unit.

As far as the dire wolf thing, it doesn't work that way. In order to get a look out sir, models need to be of the same troop type and not just on the same base size sadly. You could do it with a small unit of black knights or just keep a unit of hex wraiths near by for a 4+ LOS.

why would you want a BSB? Those are super great for every OTHER army, for VC a BSB is about a helpful as wishing really hard. 1 less dead troop when you lose a round, whoop-dee-fricking-doo. Now if it was THREE less dead from crumble, or maybe canceled out the enemies fear and break rerolls within 12", now were talking. But that's in what-if land....I love what-if land.:lol:

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Corien Sumatris said:
Lol, yeah just not being in combat sure would help, but he's going to be in a combat unit sooooo I can't really steal that trick.

So the best one I've noticed so far is just a wight king with the Armor of Destiny? I mean, you give him BSB and a great weapon and he's 165. Not terrible but I feel like you could get more for your money.
That's a pretty good buy, really. Considering Krell is over 200 points and has no ward save.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Kindred: My soul purpose of taking a BSB is to raise the fortitude in my Grave Guard unit to 4. Now that unit will have to get dealt with otherwise I can't lose blood and glory games. I'm also using it to cancel out the banner when I charge in with my spirit hosts, try to help them tie up a unit for a bit longer.

Xivigg

Grave Guard
vampire, bsb, shield, glitering scale, dread knight, beguile, barded nightmare
(unsure if i have enough point to add AODM)

WS8, almost everything hit him on 5's or 6's, 3+ armor save
enough point to add a small ward save ( i think)

put him in a challenge and he'll only face few attack with low chance of hitting

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
1 no nightmare. Hes gotta go in gg. 2, you do indeed have enough points for AoDM. I have a list written with almost that exact same set up.