• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Mounted Vamp BSB

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi All

Im wanting a mounted vampire battle standard bearer for my army and was just wondering what models have others used or would suggest because im unsure which model or combo of models i could use from GW range to make one

i used the mounted manfred model and cut of his staff, replace it with a lance and added a banner to it...
looks nice and is fairly simple to do... does break rather easy though!!!

edit,.. the old manfred model...

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Quick and easy, use any cavalry model, get the lord from the Zombie Dragon Kit, Mount him, trim the lance from his hand, drill a hole through his hand and feed a length of brass rod through in its place and use the BSB top from the empire general kit. (you can even use that kits horse)

Quick and easy, sorted.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
See I had considered that Duke but cos I also want to be able to have that model as a none bsb character thats why id put a thread in undertakers auction for one on the off chance that someone was going for the terrorgiest and not wanting the blood dragon for whatever reason

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Well failing him I don't see why you want a vamp bsb and not a WK but a chaos knight with iconography removed and a spare head from the blood knight kit along side the same method for the banner I mentioned above would do.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ive got a WK BSB just I want a vamp one as well then if/when i ever get back into gaming i have an alternative, might just have to use ghoul head though unless anyone has a blood knight head i could somehow get off them

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
The mounted Blood Dragon models with the two-handed sword and lance, respectively, could easily have their weapons snipped off and replaced with a banner pole. (I would drill through the hands and insert a brass rod to act as the banner pole.)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440102a&prodId=prod1160077
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440102a&prodId=prod1160078

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Well the last one he linked there.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440102a&prodId=prod1160078

I was thinking of that last night as I have the on foot one I was considering converting myself.
I still have the mounted on as well minus his hands....... (don't ask me where they are, I haven't the foggiest)
Anyway I don't really need him so he is just sitting gathering dust on my modeling table.

If you think you could use him you can have the model mate.
Just pop by the Sunderland store this Wednesday or Saturday, I will be there all day, if I am not in store I will be on my way, not like you don't have my phone number anyway. :thumbsup:

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Thats great really appreciate that Duke thanks, yeah i'll be around Sunderland on wednesday, don't know what time yet though as ive got stuff on for uni in Newcastle that day but time hasnt been sorted yet so will let you know

Also afraid ive lost your number as phone broke just like last month and only recently replaced it with new one so havent got all numbers back and i cant find yours in my inbox either so would you mind just sending it again then i have it if i need it

Thanks

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
No worries mate, just stuck the model in my bag there for you so I don't forget.
I am there from 12 till 6 though so I don't mind waiting.

Just texted you, easier to do.
See you then.

It is worth considering that the banner doesn't neccesarily have to be in the models hands for it to be a nice BSB. For a mounted one, you could attach it to his horse anywhere. I have also had success putting the banner pole in the ground on the base; the model has reached combat, slammed the banner into the ground and drawn his normal weapons to fight better.