• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Harbingers arrived, after a month, sans Feast of Bone book and tokens. Fed up, but still wanting the missing parts of the order, I contacted the seller with a rebuke and hopefully I don't have to wait another full month. Need to throw together another list for the local store's Path to Glory campaign, which may include some Necropolis Stalkers at some point, since Petrifex Elite. I need to get my schedule sorted out so I can get back on the Handbook too. By Nagash, let it be so!

Reactions: Unas the slayer

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Wishlist:
19 liter Storage Box
Malign Sorcery
Black Sand Basing
Katakros

On Order/In Transit:

Assembly Queue:

Bone-Tithe Nexus
Necropolis Stalkers (3) [rfs]
Mortek Guard Shields (40)* [rfs]
Arkham the Black [rfs]
Morghasts (4) [rfs]
Mortek Crawler Crew (5) [rfs]
Kavalos Deathriders (5) [rfs]
OBR Endless Spells (2) [rfs]
Mortek Guard (20)
Mortek Crawler
Gothizzar Harvester
Mortisan Boneshaper

Conversion Queue:
Liege-Kavalos* [finishing/crow]
Mortisan Soulmason [fill]

Painting Queue:
Necropolis Stalkers (3)*
Mortisan Boneshaper*
Mortek Guard (20-20)*
Kavalos Deathriders (5)
Kainan's Reapers (6)
Vokmortian
Zandtos
Gothizzar Harvester
Bone-Tithe Shrieker
Mortisan Soulreaper
Mortek Crawler

Last edited:

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
My local store owner has an Arkhan (NIB) he's been holding onto after an aborted attempt at starting OBR, and today I told him I'd pick it up next payday. I like that Arkhan can take any of the Legion keywords, and it's kind of a shame that Katakros can't. In low point Path to Glory campaigns with OBR want to start in Petrifex Elite, which means that once you can afford a big centerpiece character you're more likely going to recruit Arkhan. Running Mortis Praetorians is possible at higher values, since you can just have Katakros right out the gate, but you might find yourself running a less productive list if your opponents started at a lower point value. Hopefully the next battle tome will make Mortis Praetorians evergreen, instead of Katakros or bust.

Still need to sort out the paints I need, hrm.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I've been playing with the idea of a vampire adopted into the OBR hierarchy. The biggest narrative issue is: "Why not build the vampire harder, better, stronger, faster per Ossiarch doctrine?" I can think of a few reasons, first, the area in which the associated legion operates is dominated by vampire superstitions and having an actual vampire in the command structure makes "diplomatic" relations with the surrounding mortals substantially easier and said vampire might even be the progenitor of the very beliefs the legion is leveraging. The next reason would be espionage, vampires can go into mortal settlements with little fear of discovery, whereas the presence of a Bonereaper is hardly subtle, and I'm surprised the Bonereapers even have this blind spot in the first place. Sure, they have their little spy birds, but they're hardly going to be convincing the local noble to sell out his own town, or a guard to open the gates at an opportune time.

And why would a vampire want to join up with the OBR, even with an exemption on being turned into a bone golem? The Soulblight Gravelords faction is rife with internal conflict and, as I've bemoaned many times, armies full of rust and rot. The OBR represent Death's most ordered and productive faction, any vampire that values empire building and tactical acumen over ego stroking would at least have a passing interest in, if not a deep envy of their Ossiarch contemporaries.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Arkham acquired, might put him together for kicks, since I don't plan on fielding him anytime soon. I do want to put together a unit of Necropolis Stalkers for the Order of Battle though.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
De-sprued Arkhan and figured out the storage box size needed for him and the Bone-Tithe Nexus (and Katakros and Nagash eventually, the only models in the current OBR range I'm missing). I've got another 9 liter box just about ready for a magnetic sheet for most of second battleforce and the Morghasts. The local store changed their Warhammer AoS night to Wednesday, so it looks like for the foreseeable future I'll be playing at home. On that note, I did pick up the new DoK and NH books for my family, but haven't told them yet.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Worked a bit more on the Liege-Kavalos, added a soultrap to each of the hip plates, and I might add the last two in a similar fashion after I've checked it over after the green stuff dries a bit on the scythe. It's a nice conversion and I hope I can do it justice.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I have an extra skull raven I was going to put on the Liege-Kavalos, glad I remembered to do that before I primed it.

Speaking of birds, I've been thinking about changing the theme up a little, but it might to too much work to throw a bunch of Aviarch Spymaster heads into the army.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
As I've been removing the Nexus from it's sprues and cleaning up the parts, it's clear that the statue will need to be painted in pieces. A shame, but the model otherwise is huge and amazing and it fills the Nexus shaped whole I had in my heart when I played my army without it.

Reactions: The Sun King

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu