• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Nagash

what edition was Nagash in the army book? and does anyone have his original stats & powers from then? i have the models of Nagash and Neferata and want to use them in a battle which my friend has agreed to (he is using his old skaven characters, which might be back in the book soon) i have neferata's stats & powers but cant find Nagash's. any help?

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I believe that Nagash was around in either 4th or 5th edition. I'm not quite sure which since I didn't play back then but I do have the army book. If you want me to I could probably write them up for you, though I don't think that they transfer flawlessly to the new rules, mainly due to the magic phase re-vamps.

MasterSpark said:
I believe that Nagash was around in either 4th or 5th edition. I'm not quite sure which since I didn't play back then but I do have the army book. If you want me to I could probably write them up for you, though I don't think that they transfer flawlessly to the new rules, mainly due to the magic phase re-vamps.
i'd be grateful if you would, i can try to slightly alter his rules to fit the current rules and see if my friend agrees with them. he only wants me to use Nagash because the skaven have a weapon specifically designed to kill him :lol:
thanks

Ah yes, the Fellblade. It might not do much, depending on what Nagash's rules are like. It's still damnably nice, S10 and D6 wounds are nasty even with the roll to wound yourself at the end of the turn. It's only on a 1-2 anyway. Watch out for the death of your General if he manages to attack him.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Lets see...... I can't write out stat lines, but where there is a will there is a way:

Apart from movement everthing upto I is 7, then everything upto Ld is 6, Ld is 10. He is an absolute monster.

Had a sword that was like the Bloodrinker but also increases S

Armour like the Crown but no stupidity

Crown like the Black Periapt but holds upto 4. Starts the battle with one already.

Book like Dark Acolyte even though he is already Lvl 4. (In those days you could get a lvl 5)

There you go - give you a good idea.

sounds like he was the bane of many an army. did the other armies have characters as powerful as him?
was Neferata taken out of the book at the same time as Nagash or did she survive to a later edition?

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but my friend and I looked through the old Chaos army book a few months ago and came up with a pretty horrid lord. He costed a bit above 1100 points and anyone who suffered a wound from him died instantly. He rode on a dragon and had something like 7-8 attacks at S5 or 6 and WS8 I think. Also virtually unkillable, haha. :lol:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It really was herohammer back in those days. However it was also much more characterful and in my opinion "fun"

Yes there was other powerful characters around but Nagash was generally thought of one of the strongest.

Nefereta was not in the same edition as Nagash, she appeared when the split was made into VC & TK, whilst Nagash was in the undead which was prior to the split.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I still have the old Undead army book (ye gods the cover is horrible :tongue: ) and it was 4th edition alright. *sighs* Why did I sell the first VC book? I'd really want a copy of that one. Stupid me I have all the old books except for that one as I sold it along with my army; the cover art was so beautiful.

But back on topic yes characters were killers back then plus combined with the lack of rules of core, special and all that you'd get the craziest army lists. So much fun but yes very unbalanced.

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I believe even the High Elves could hurt someone with a blade.

Hmm Nagash, the Horned Rat, Greater Daemons, Kroak... it was a big rave :silent:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Personally I think it was. For a bit of fun, I've been looking back over the old Undead book, and you do actually get what you paid for. The characters might have been much more powerful, but you paid in points it. I still want my S7, T6 vampire lord back!! :(

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
He was 4th ed. and he was an absolute beast. Necormancy back then was like it is now - spamable casting. So you could raise/heal skeletons by the dice loads. If you could imagine the system being more out of whack than it is now, it was! He was awesome in combat, too. The other thing about him is that he had the first true ward save. Back in those days, you could equip special characters any way you wanted. If they had a weak magic item - no problem! Just swap it out for something else. There was no point limits like there are now, either, so just imagine...

His only weak point (if you could call it that) was that he could not hide in a unit (he was over 16' tall). So he was easy to hit with cannons and such.

Yeah OG Nagash (we always called him "Uncle Pumpkin Head" due to the awful proportions of the mini) was a magic-slinging nightmare, but he had a very exploitable weakness. Recall that in 4th ed. there was no overkill rule, so the most points UPH could get in an HTH challenge was 1 CR. If I had a nickel for every time I saw him flee in terror from a unit of skaven slaves...