• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Does Najo have the right kind 'o crazy?

• Yes! Have at it! Build Najo-hammer and let's see what you can do mate! Your crazy is my kinda crazy!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Most likely. Najo-hammer may be the crazy we need, but I'm not 100% yet. I'd give ya a fair go at it

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Najo-hammer? Serious? Don't you like Age of Sigmar? Call me skeptic...you got to prove it

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Even Najo-hammer can't soothe my soul .. with Warhammer gone...I am only blackened and dead inside

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
Ok, so here is where I am at on all things Warhammer...

I really, really, really want a valid 9th edition. I want something that streamlines 8th, is still regimental with square bases and resembles the Warhammer I love with smoother rules, faster play and better balance both internally and externally. All the various options right now don't fit.

I may have snapped, or was always a little crazy. The final straw was probably when I wrote up all those 8th edition Battlescribe files (pretty sure Archaon started talking to me...or at least his horse). Might have happened when Sunny and I wrote that second handbook and everything we previously wrote was recompiled I'm not sure, I just know madness has finally set in.

So here is the deal, I've been churning a bunch of ideas around and I'm tempted to see what I can throw together. I'm not looking to do this by committee like the other fan projects out there (though I will totally want and will respond to feedback), but I want to adhere to a vision and follow the muse and see what comes of it, with the ultimate goal of building what a legitimate GW 9th edition would look like.

I know I can pull this off. I have game designer DNA and don't shy away from a challenge. I'd be pulling on the best elements of previous editions as well as a smattering of Mordheim, Warmaster, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and even a tiny sprinkle of War of the Rings, Advanced Heroquest and 40k. Then I'd attempt stitching this beast together seamlessly and shock it to life.

Is this something you want to see? Is this something you can get behind if I can do it right? If so, what I need is encouragement and to know I would be spending my time well.

If you guys can get behind this, then I will start building "Najo-hammer" - working title ;)

Feel free to comment, offer wisdom or whatever and of course feel free to wish list...

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
Ehhh, I'm what ever. Square bases don't do it for me, and I've never been terribly impressed with GW's running rule systems anyways, as there is almost always huge flaws to be found while applying rules in basic ways. They just never wrote rules with the mind of a lawyer. You know, the type of rules without loop holes or idiocy. And that's to speak nothing of potential balance issues (Which are minimal most of the time, though sometimes they did preclude certain units from ever being fielded, HEY BLOOD KNIGHTS).

As for a revamp (No pun) or re-invisioning of WHFB in spirit? It's what ever. The rules are more strict than my friends and I care to be, and I am no tournament goer. As long as I have shiny models I'm in, so this wouldn't change much for me.

Although I do enjoy good design. One of the reasons M:tG is interesting to follow even though I may not play it any more. They certainly make pretty rules.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
I do believe in pretty rules and I got some lawyer-ing tendencies. So I promise rules that makes sense and we get loop-holes out of em.

Reactions: Dragonet

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
As I've been involved with this game since the '80's, I hate to see it vanish. I'd be delighted to see it 'shocked' into life by someone who actually cared about it.GET ON WITH IT!!!! love, jeff:thumbsup:

{VIPER}

Zombie
Apr 7, 2015
Australia
I'll play AoS, but I think there is always going to be a void needing to be filled where 9th was supposed to go.
Often during a game there would be better ways to see a rule played out, being designed from a veteran gamers perspective I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Although you mention not doing it via committee, however perhaps a good start would be to generalise the common trip ups and pet hates that people had with 8th. Iron those out and expand some more and I think you'd be onto a winner.

Quinten

Grave Guard
Jul 17, 2014
I generally shy away from fan-made stuff. It tends to be needlessly complicated and really scattered. But I read it all anyway. I would love to see what you come up with. I've tried designing a couple games from scratch myself actually got a homemade board and cards for one of them (A simulation of the struggle for the Iberian peninsula in the beginning of the exploration age (This was actually a more exiting time in history than that last statement made it sound)) but none of them were exceptionally good. Board Game and miniature game design is a lot harder than most people think. Not to rain on your parade but I remain a skeptic until proven otherwise.

*Edit*
If you do start it has to be finished before the countdown from 20 000 :lol:

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
I think it really would depend what you had in mind for my khorne boys ;)

Could be really cool, what sort of changes do you have in mind.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
A lot of people are trying to fill this void, it's a hot topic to be sure. Thst dhould mean lots of interest, loys of ideas floating about and plenty of resources available!

I think setting out your stall will help to focus your efforts and others' interest. How true to the basic format do you intend Najohammer to be? (Keep the name!) Will you keep the turn based system or go unit based? Will you still have a strict Move, Magic, Shooting, Combat sequence? I guess you have a lot of ideas, but who's your intendef market? If it's going to be a recognisable inheritor of the WHFB mantle you may struggle to make all the innovations you'd like?

Skittelz1981

Varghulf
Apr 28, 2013
AMS
Ok, so here is where I am at on all things Warhammer...

I really, really, really want a valid 9th edition. I want something that streamlines 8th, is still regimental with square bases and resembles the Warhammer I love with smoother rules, faster play and better balance both internally and externally. All the various options right now don't fit.

I may have snapped, or was always a little crazy. The final straw was probably when I wrote up all those 8th edition Battlescribe files (pretty sure Archaon started talking to me...or at least his horse). Might have happened when Sunny and I wrote that second handbook and everything we previously wrote was recompiled I'm not sure, I just know madness has finally set in.

So here is the deal, I've been churning a bunch of ideas around and I'm tempted to see what I can throw together. I'm not looking to do this by committee like the other fan projects out there (though I will totally want and will respond to feedback), but I want to adhere to a vision and follow the muse and see what comes of it, with the ultimate goal of building what a legitimate GW 9th edition would look like.

I know I can pull this off. I have game designer DNA and don't shy away from a challenge. I'd be pulling on the best elements of previous editions as well as a smattering of Mordheim, Warmaster, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and even a tiny sprinkle of War of the Rings, Advanced Heroquest and 40k. Then I'd attempt stitching this beast together seamlessly and shock it to life.

Is this something you want to see? Is this something you can get behind if I can do it right? If so, what I need is encouragement and to know I would be spending my time well.

If you guys can get behind this, then I will start building "Najo-hammer" - working title ;)

Feel free to comment, offer wisdom or whatever and of course feel free to wish list...

Najo, have you taken a look at the thread i posted with 2 links to 8th ed updates/9th ed streamline? both are made by different fans in warhammer community. So before you start on a grand WiP, it might be good to read what is already available?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
While I am still yet to play AoS, I read the rules and liked quite a few things there - but it still lacks a certain depth in my opinion, so if you are able to create something that merges the best parts of new and old - I can only welcome this with open arms xD

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
It's over, Najo. I know you put a lot of work into warhammer fantasy* but it's over now. Let it go.

* EDIT: To be clear, a lot of really good work, that many players have and some still do benefit from tremendously, and that the Vamp Counts community as a whole owes you a tremendous debt of gratitude for. But that doesn't change the truth of the matter. As a competitive game with a global community, Warhammer Fantasy is done. It will linger only in isolated basements and gaming clubs, which will all adopt their own independent collections of special rules and compositional norms.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Sun King

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Not to be confused with Celerity, a blood power from Vampire: the Masquerade. Spend one blood point to get an extra action to perform on your turn. If you decide to go forward, Najo, Celerity may benefit you more than Clarity.

Good luck, mate.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Not to be confused with Celery, which is an abomination on all accounts and should not be trifled with by any means. Peanut butter and sometimes with raisins has been known to counteract celery, but is not guaranteed. Proceed with caution.

Nov 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Not to be a downer...but there are like a hundred community 8th editions being developed right now. Might you not be better off contributing to a project like "The 9th Age," which seemingly has the support of the ETC community? Or perhaps some similar effort made in conjunction with the US Masters community. I don't think that Carpe Noctem really has the sway within the gaming community to produce a format that will gain any real traction.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
Word play. Hilarious.

Not to be a downer...but there are like a hundred community 8th editions being developed right now. Might you not be better off contributing to a project like "The 9th Age," which seemingly has the support of the ETC community? Or perhaps some similar effort made in conjunction with the US Masters community. I don't think that Carpe Noctem really has the sway within the gaming community to produce a format that will gain any real traction.

I entirely agree with @Pirate Robot Ninja of Death ; It seems that people wanting to develop cohesive gaming replacements for WHFB would be best served by pooling effort, at least on the grounds of a gathered community ready to accept it. For instance if 9th Age or what ever becomes big, but you're pushing to fix errors you believe were the worst, it only serves to divide the potential player base. Without GW to guide us, having a central focal point will be more important than the best re-work of the game that is isolated.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
Having read 9th age...if you're going to throw in with someone, maybe throw in with someone else.

Your not the only one. With the amount of changes they want to make they would be better going back to ravening hordes. I wasn't overly keen on the
VC changes, not a fan of the chaos marks.

I get the impression they are changing things they don't like that people simply haven't even complained about.

I kinda get why they wanted to change hexwraiths but I also agree they are weak for a rare unit. It might of worked better if wraiths had gone special and hex wraiths had been changed to mounted wraiths while retaining the walk through units.

GDD

Grave Guard
Jul 30, 2014
I have been writing my own tabletop wargame for a while now myself. I've got an education and experience with game design and 3d graphics, so for me it has just been a fun side project. I think to get anyone to play your game you would need to promote it, but If it is good then people will probably come. Bottom line if you aren't motivated to make it if people are skeptic about it you probably shouldn't.

So I guess on a side note I'd love to see your ideas! I am all for more good wargaming systems, and If you write something I like I might nag it for myself. And play it for myself!

For a start you could tell us how it fundamentally works. So people know if it's a regiment, or skirmish game for example. How do you move? How do the stats work? That might get more of us interested.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
I think the problem is, without the 'official' moniker, no one will ever be convinced that someone else's ideas are better than their own ideas. For instance, I might think the 50% Lords and Heroes limit is stupid, while someone else loves it.

Without an independent arbitrator to set out the way to play, then every game of 8th edition has a new phase called the haggling phase, which takes place prior to list building. Do you want to play with my house rules, or yours? Should we use End Time stuff, or not?

This is why I gave up on modding 8th edition. Every group, and even different players within groups are going to have different ways they want to play the game, which makes organising games and working on lists between games extremely difficult.

For instance, I think laser guided cannonballs are stupid. If I were to re-write 8th I'd make them work exactly the same as bolt throwers. But the Dwarf player in my group might strongly oppose such an idea. So each game between us becomes a sort of business deal where I get upset if his laser guided cannonballs ping my Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon on turn one, but he gets upset if his nerfed bolt throwers do nothing at all. Further, it makes pick-up games nearly impossible. Each player would need to truck nearly their entire collection to each games night, then spend time building a list before the game based on the agreed house rules they've decided to use for that game. As opposed to just working out a 2250 list and playing against whoever shows up.

I mean, I'm not saying don't bother. If you want to have a crack at it then far be it from me say it's a waste of time. I just don't think the end result will be a cohesive, rebuilt version of 8th edition.

Reactions: Razorfate

Razorfate

Skeleton
Feb 16, 2015
Istanbul
Are not Swedish people and ETC community writing 9th age rules already? I think +Blutsauger is right about the community will be divided to see which version is better. I think the best way to do is support the major tournament organizers and rule-writers (hence swedish and etc)

Reactions: Mad 'At

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Are not Swedish people and ETC community writing 9th age rules already? I think +Blutsauger is right about the community will be divided to see which version is better. I think the best way to do is support the major tournament organizers and rule-writers (hence swedish and etc)
They are, but the Alpha released and has almost no community backing. The rules are horrible both for the main game and armies. On top of that, they are going to have to change all the names of everything so GW McSueYourPantsOff doesn't go after them. I guess they could change it to a new 8th edition tourney comp, but it won't have any support there, either.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu