• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Necromancer Optional Army List

Necromancer Optional Army List

• Maybe - Needs tweaking, please post your suggestion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - A bad idea, please post why

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
This thread is for voting on the Necromancer Optional Army List.

Please note: This is not to vote whether it fits in with the theme etc. That is what the discussion in the threads is for.

It is to check and ensure we have created fair rules and choices that are not unbalancing, or there is not something grossly wrong that has been over looked.

Please note: Due to time constraints this will close on Thursday 10/12/09

[hr]

Characters

Master Necromancer
~see stat changes for options and standard mounts
~May choose the Master's Corpse Cart as a mount choice - see below for details

Necromancer
~see stat changes for options and mounts

Wight King - 67pts
~BSB option for 20pts
~Limit of 1 per 1000pts

Core
Zombies - 3pts per model
Skeletons - 7pts per model
Crypt Ghoul - 7pts per model

Corpse Cart - 67pts
~Upgrades - 20pts each

Special
Grave Guard - 10pts per model
~0-1 per Wight King

Spirit Hosts - 55pts per base

Dire Wolves - 7pts per model

Rare

Black Knights - 21pts per model

Cairn Wraiths - 45pts per model

0-1 Zombie Giant - 200pts
~See below for details

New Unit

Master's Corpse Cart - 175pts

M 4 / WS 3 / BS 0 / S 4 / T 5 / W 3 / I 1 / A 2D6+2 / Ld 7

Equipment
Grasping Hands

Armour Save
4+

Special Rules
Undead
Regeneration
Miasma of Deathly Vigour

The Power of the Master

The most powerful of Necromancers can create contraptions of immense power that eclipse those of their brethren. Fuelled with the power of the dead, it invigorates those nearby whilst providing more than ample protection to its owner.
The Master's Corpse Cart automatically comes with both the Balefire and Unholy Lodestone upgrades. In addition it confers its Regeneration special rule on its rider.

Zombie Giant

M 6 / WS 2 / BS 0 / S 5 / T 5 / W 6 / I 1 / A 5 / Ld 2

Equipment
Hands and Feet

Special Rules
Undead
Terror
Large Target
Move
(as per normal Giant rules)
Fall Over (as per normal Giant rules, with the exception that that the Zombie Giant falls over on a roll of 1-2)

Resilient
The pure size of the zombie giant means the power to resurrect such a creature must be all the more stronger. In battle this makes it all the more resilient, fighting on against insurmountable odds to carry out its master's bidding.
If the ZG loses combat it will only ever suffer a single crumble wound, regardless of the actual CR

Zombie Giant Special Attacks

A Zombie Giant may choose to forgo it's normal attacks in any combat phase and instead choose one of the following attacks:

Vomit - One Use Per Game
The ZG vomits a disgusting combination of long rotten flesh, stagnant bile and other unwholesome products on its foe. The ZG nor its foe may attack for that turn unless they have already done so. The ZG gains +3CR for this turn when working out combat results. In addition, for the remainder of the combat all enemy units hit by this attack suffer a -1 to hit and wound as they slip and struggle in the mess.

Braaaiiinnnnssss.......
Can only be used against Ogre sized creatures or larger. The ZG grasps hold of his opponents head, trying to eat the grey goodness inside. Your opponent must take an Initiative test on 1D6, a 6 is always a failure. If failed the model suffers D6 S5 hits. Any wounds inflicted heal an equal amount of number on the ZG, but they cannot take him over his original number of wounds.

Splat!
Can only be used against models Unit strength 2 or below. The Zombie Giant picks out one juicy morsel and attempts to turn him to mush with his fist. Pick one model in BtB contact. The Zombie Giant may make one attack, rolling to hit using his normal weaponskill. If successful the model suffers an automatic wound. If a 5+ is rolled to hit, the blow counts as having the KB special rule.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
hmm, my only issue is that Im pretty sure Giants always use the random atk tables. What if something got replaced in the table with the above special atks (Brains and Splat)?? Vomit is cool, as it's a once a game atk.

Other then that oddity, everything else looks okay!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
We discussed it and though the ZG would operate better similar to Bone Giants. As they are controlled by Necromancers their attacks shouldn't be wholly random, but other options were given in addition to its normal attacks to make up for it.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Some sort of test or something then? to bypass the table..

Nevermind, I just read over the powers again... and they are not really that powerful (ie. if you wanted to go the whole game using the specific atks, as oppose to the random ones, you'd prob end up killing a lot less models then the random atk table).

I went back and read the dev thread, and I see you aren't using the random table at all...

Though, Splat! requires a "defensive" mechanic of sorts (like Pick up and...has). It seems a bit powerful since you can pick out character models with it. Even as simple as adding in the allowance of the Look Out Sir! mechanic.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yeah I agree that character models should benefit from the Look Out Sir! special rule. Anyone else disagree?

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Most of the List looks fine apart from:

The zombie Giant

I think it will get slaughtered by combat res to a fully ranked up unit, unless it hits it in the flank which it will struggle to get to because it will fall over 33% of the time and marching isn't that easy in the necro list. I should on average get less then 2 kills a turn which isn't good for a 200pt unit.

Also as it competes with cairn wraiths (4 with banshee upgrade) and black knights for space i don't think it would be used unless the player really really wants a zombie giant

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
What about adding something like "If the ZG loses combat it will only ever suffer a single crumble wound, regardless of the actual CR"

Dragging down a giant zombie to crumbling should be difficult... this would make it a bit more like a tar-pit type of monster. I don't know that the ZG should be any better at killing things... maybe tougher to take down would help out it's appeal?

Comments?

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
I Think bishop's idea would work well, and make it a much more useable option.

"Can only be used against models smaller than Ogre sized."
I think it would be better to say Unit strength 2 or below.

Status
Not open for further replies.