• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Need advice for 2k pts vs Teclis HE

Hello!
Im going to play against a teclis led HE army on firday, 2k pts.
That guy is full of cheese, im planning to bring in mannfred on abyssal terror, to counter him somehow... (magic heavy list)
Should it be summon heavy?

So, how to beat teclis and his army?
Any help would be appreciated :)
Thx in advance

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
I wonder if it wise to use an Abyssal Terror VS Teclis. Teclis wields a lot of magical power and without much difficulty can bring down a world of hurt upon your vampire lord mounted in a monstrous mount. It makes your lord a very juicy target, both for magic and bolts(of which probably has in there too).

But if I am going to give any real valuable advice how does his army usually look, beyond having Teclis in it?

Yanda

Black Knight
I would avoid the abyssal terror as its a large target and will be a big target. Maybe take a combat lord with frostblade hide him in a unit with the flying vampiric power and do an unexpected charge and try to 1 hit him. However a kitted up vampire lord will probably cost the same as other options.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Yanda said:
I would avoid the abyssal terror as its a large target and will be a big target. Maybe take a combat lord with frostblade hide him in a unit with the flying vampiric power and do an unexpected charge and try to 1 hit him. However a kitted up vampire lord will probably cost the same as other options.
Your lord would then probably bite the dust to combat res, putting you in the worse position because of crumbling.

I can't remeber what kind of ward teclis has but I know he's only T2 so shouldn't be hard to kill when you get into CC with him. I'd go for big infantry blocks to weather the storm, and hit the poncy elves in combat. Esspecially the particually poncy teclis.

Yeah, lots of big blocks, the real threat of his magic is to smaller more elite units, lone guys are like the jackpot. You need some big blocks to weather their ranged/magic attacks 'cus you won't get much of a chance to invokation if he uses drain magic once or twice.
I'd even suggest maybe having a scroll caddy necro to dispel the important spells he goes for, then just get someone close enough and it's clobbering time.

Pulimuli

Wight King
I've had success with Mannfred on a barded nightmare - keep in mind that if you have him on an abyssal terror he will probably get targetted by bolt throwers and magic missiles (not really something you want)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I would have thought that Teclis would be in a swordmasters unit? The best thing to me is try and get something in combat with Teclis asap, as he is stupidly weak. Even sending in a suicide bat unit may reap decent rewards, though sacrificing a Varghulf may be in order.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Order of the Blood Dragon said:
I'd even suggest maybe having a scroll caddy necro to dispel the important spells he goes for...
Therein lies a pickle though, since Teclis will count as casting a spell with irresistible force if he rolls it with any double number on his casting dice, not just with double sixes. Magic defence can often end up doing very little against him since you won't actually get to use it that much at all~

Capt Rubber Ducky said:
I can't remeber what kind of ward teclis has but I know he's only T2 so shouldn't be hard to kill when you get into CC with him. I'd go for big infantry blocks to weather the storm, and hit the poncy elves in combat. Esspecially the particually poncy teclis.
Teclis has NO wards or saves of any kind!!! This really annoying!!! (yes I have a High Elves army) He is the strongest wizard alive, yet he has no sort of ward save or anything:mad2:

Get a vampire with ghoulkin, flayed hauberk, infinite hatred and talisman of lycni, in a unit of ghouls and try to assainate teclis early on. I managed to pull that trink off on my brothers lizards on the first turn (granted i sent a wight king too) and killed a Skink priest on an EOTG. Was an easy win from then on.

The other thing with teclis is that most of his high powered spells are going to need LOS - summon small squads of Zombies and/or direwolves to block his sight as you move up the board and scare him with Vargulfs and other fast movers as you advance.

Only issue with the suicide vamp is if his challenge is accepted by a unit champion, or if he is ASF'd by the unit Teclis is in, then you'd end up losing because of CR, an awful risk unless he's in an archers unit, in which case, why would he not be deployed a little further back.
If Teclis is in a Swordmasters unit, then I think you'd not have a good way of rooting him out, magic attacks would be pretty much shut down by him and his mage buddies, and you don't want to be facing swordmasters up close unless tarpitting or using some big hitters.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
I think a Vargulf suicide charge is the way to go, with teclis having no save the thing should bring him down. As its not a character it can't be challanged off like a vamp could by a champion and its Tough enough to suvive the attacks from the elves around teclis.