• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Need help developing rules for a campaign

Xivigg

Grave Guard
Greeting, i'm in the process of developing a campaign and i'm trying to make rules to add a little something to the leader of each player. I inspired myself from the commander abilities from 40k but i'm afraid that some abilities might be too strong or that other might be too weak. I would like your input for that.

So what do you think ?

Command
1. +6" to the general ld bubble
2. Units within 12" must use their own ld
3. Every friendly unit re-roll failed dangerous terrain test
4. Friendly unit within 12" add +1 to charge roll
5. Models within a unit the general join can re-roll result of 1's while shooting
6. Models within a unit the general join can re-roll result of 1's while in close combat

Strategist
1. Can add 2 building on the table after side are chosen.
2. Night attack : Everyone re-roll successful ranged attack (shooting, magical and war machine)
3. 3 units gain ambusher
4. Chose deployment side and gain first turn
5. 3 units gain scout
6. 3 units gain vanguard

Personal
1. +1 A with the heroic killing blow rule
2. MR (3)
3. +1 mage level (max level 4) + loremaster
4. Multiple wound (2)
5. Regenerate + any unit joined gain regenerate while in a building
6. Unbreakable

thanks for your input :)

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Are you going to be using Vampires in this campaign? They can't really benefit from Command 1, need Udead Legions to benfit from Command 6, and can't benefit from Personal 6. Unless these are generic abilities. Maybe Command 1 should change to allowing -1 Crumble for IP range.

Xivigg

Grave Guard
these are rules that everyone will use. I'm trying to make them so they can be useful to every armies. But, some will be better to some army and other won't obviously.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Don't check the bloodlines section very often, but this caught my eye so I thought I'd give you some feedback.

Command
1. +6" to the general ld bubble - Good. Maybe it could also add +6" to the VC march bubble?
2. Units within 12" must use their own ld - Do you mean enemy units? If so I think it's rather cool.
3. Every friendly unit re-roll failed dangerous terrain test - Maybe a bit weak. Perhaps you could get some other bonus from terrain, like always an extra -1 to hit for enemies shooting at your units inside terrain?
4. Friendly unit within 12" add +1 to charge roll - Cool.
5. Models within a unit the general join can re-roll result of 1's while shooting - Works, but maybe something for armies that can't shoot?
6. Models within a unit the general join can re-roll result of 1's while in close combat - Works, but maybe something for DE since they already have this?

Suggestion for possible replacement: +1 Ld.

Strategist
1. Can add 2 building on the table after side are chosen. - Can get insanely powerful. There is a reason that the Folding Fortress is pretty much banned from tournaments.
2. Night attack : Everyone re-roll successful ranged attack (shooting, magical and war machine) - There are pretty cool rules in the new End Times book for fighting in the dark IIRC, why not use those?
3. 3 units gain ambusher - Works
4. Chose deployment side and gain first turn - Might be a bit powerful. Perhaps you could replace gaining the first turn with getting +2 on the roll.
5. 3 units gain scout - Works
6. 3 units gain vanguard - Works

Personal
1. +1 A with the heroic killing blow rule - Cool, but perhaps it could be at the character’s base str, unmodified by weapons?
2. MR (3) - Works
3. +1 mage level (max level 4) + loremaster - Does it make a wizard of fighter characters? If so, hell yea that's cool ^^ Though Loremaster might be a bit too powerful, maybe the dude learns one extra spell for what is normal for his level (so a level 3 wizard would become level 4 and know 5 spells).
4. Multiple wound (2) - Shooting, magic and combat? Magic with that ability is quite powerful.
5. Regenerate + any unit joined gain regenerate while in a building - A bit odd but it works. Keep in mind that a lot of players dislike buildings and seldom plays with them (as far as I know).
6. Unbreakable - Could be too powerful, also does it transfer to the unit he is with, if not it's pretty useless for some armies.

Suggestion for possible replacement: +1 A and gains poisoned attacks that works even though the wearer has ha magic weapon.

All in all I think it's a cool idea. Could bring some nice spice to the battles.

EDIT: Apparently I am very confused since this is not even the bloodlines section, but I visit this section even less often :tongue:

Last edited: