• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Need help for my 2000 pts list (8th edition)

Hi all, I'm currently in a little league with some friends of mine. We are 6 players (me, tomb kings, high elves, dwarfs, beastmen, skaven). This is my current list. I played my first game againsf dwarfs, and, due to some errors of mine and being a little rusty, I got my ass completely handed to me. Still I think the lost is not top notch. So I come to you for some tips.
Problem is, due to the rules we have decided for the league, we can modify only up to 400 points.

++ Standard (Vampire Counts - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.1.) [1996pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

- Army Size: Army (0-2999 points)

+ Lords +

Master Necromancer [270pts]: The General of Undeath, Wizard Level 4
. Magic Items: AB - Book of Arkhan, BRB - Talisman of Preservation

+ Heroes +

Necromancer [125pts]: Wizard Level 2
. Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll

Vampire [217pts]: Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armour, Red Fury, Shield, Wizard Level 1
. Magic Items: BRB - Ogre Blade

Wight King [104pts]: Shield
. Magic Items: BRB - Gold Sigil Sword

+ Core +

Crypt Ghouls [310pts]: Champion, 30x Crypt Ghoul

Dire Wolves [80pts]: 10x Dire Wolf

Zombies [150pts]: 50x Zombie

+ Special +

Black Knights [264pts]: Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
. 9x Black Knight: 9x Barding, 9x Lances

Corpse Cart [90pts]

Fell Bats [32pts]: 2x Fell Bat

Grave Guard [322pts]
. Champion
. 22x Grave Guard: 22x Shield
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: AB - Banner of the Barrows

++ Total: [1996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Thank you all for the help.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Not having a Vampire Lord immediately jumps out at me. Necromancer Lord lists do work, but they are harder to use, is this a normal list for you?

I would personally be running with a Vampire Lord in a 2K list, and the existing supporting heroes should then be a good blend.

Maybe split the Dire Wolves into 2x unit of 5 as redirectors.

What's your aim as a battle plan?

I haven't played a necromancer list, to be fair I think I only played 1 or 2 games in 8th (mostly played in 6th), when the edition was released. I chosed a necromancer cause it costed less points and I wanted to fit a unit of knights.
The main idea was to engage at the front with zombies and ghouls and from the sides with the knights and grave guards, while bats and wolves killed war machines. Now, I surely made some mistakes (charged a unit of irondrakes with the ghouls and got flanked by a unit of longbeards, thus losing the ghouls pretty easily), and got a couple of pretty unlucky magic phase. Still I feel the list need some tuning. Now I am torn between two choices:
1) lose the necromancer and the knights, put in a blender lord (ogre sword, talisman of preservation, charmed shield, quickblood, red fury) and increase the Ghouls and the grave guards with the rest of the point
2) keep the necro, lose the knights, put in a mortis engine and increase the ghouls and grave guards with the rest of the points.

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Personally I would go with a Blender Lord, or alternatively a heavy magic one. It has been a whilst since I've played myself in fairness, but I always felt our lists at more points worked much better with a Vamp leading the way. I'd also be mindful of ensuring those flanks of the big unwieldy units are protected.

I quite like leading the Army with a Necromancer, I do this quite a bit, as I find Vampire can sometimes be such a target they get in trouble quick or you spend so much time protecting them they arent worth the points (sometimes)
however the army needs to be focused around the Necro, so tons of zombies, corpse carts, mortis engines and to get more 'killers' on the field, a couple of cheaper vampire hero's in some black nights or something.
gives them a problem, do they try and kill the black knights and vampires before they create carnage, and leave an ever growing zombie army buffed by magic, or go for the general and leave the vampires to kill!

and are you paying 22 points for shields? they come as standard with GG in 8th

The list now looks like this.

++ Standard (Vampire Counts - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.1.) [1999pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

- Army Size: Army (0-2999 points)

+ Lords +

Master Necromancer [300pts]: Lore of the Vampires, The General of Undeath, Wizard Level 4
. Magic Items: AB - Black Periapt, BRB - Talisman of Preservation

+ Heroes +

Necromancer [125pts]: Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 2
. Magic Items: AB - Book of Arkhan

Vampire [239pts]: Heavy Armour, Lore of Death, Red Fury, Wizard Level 2
. Magic Items: BRB - Enchanted Shield, BRB - Ogre Blade

+ Core +

Crypt Ghouls [390pts]: 39x Crypt Ghoul

Dire Wolves [40pts]: 5x Dire Wolf

Dire Wolves [40pts]: 5x Dire Wolf

Zombies [60pts]: 20x Zombie

Zombies [93pts]: 31x Zombie

+ Special +

Grave Guard [440pts]
. Champion
. 30x Grave Guard: 30x Great Weapon
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: AB - Banner of the Barrows

+ Rare +

Mortis Engine [240pts]: Blasphemous Tome

++ Total: [1999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The vampire goes in the ghouls unit.

I already played a game vs tomb kings (he runs a list with a huge unit of skeletons with the prince, hierophant, herald and ramothep inside). Despite being pretty unlucky (general exploded in second turn due to a miscast on 3 dice, and mortis engine got shot out of the water by the casket of souls, having only 5 LD) I still managed to get a draw (5 pts difference).

sounds like you done fairly well then considering, in the past i have found a Terrorgheist (or the deathshriek) to work well against TK, fly it out of charge arc and let it scream at the constructs like the huge sphynx

I always fear that the 'geist will eat a cannonball and leave me with a 225 hole in my army (especially since the lists in this leage tend to favor war machines when possible).

That's the problem I face regularly especially with GK on it as a can ball hits Both!
I just quite like given cannons too many targets sometimes if it's firing at a terrorgheist its not hitting your general etc
I have a game Sunday and I am expecting cannons as facing Dwarves