• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
A few notable changes:

1: The Ring of Immortality got nerfed to hell in matched play

Q: Does the Ring of Immortality require reinforcement points to return the slain bearer to the table?
A: Yes.
IMO, our best relic is effecively dead.

2: Tomb Heralds' bodyguard ability restricted to Liche Priests and Mummies

TOMB KINGS WARSCROLL COMPENDIUM
Page 6 – Tomb Herald, Abilities Change the Sword Bodyguard ability to: ‘Sworn Bodyguard: Each time a Liche Priest or Mummy Hero from your army suffers a wound or a mortal wound whilst within 3" of a Tomb Herald, he can leap in front of the attack. If he does so, the Liche Priest or Mummy Hero ignores that wound or mortal wound, and the Tomb Herald suffers a mortal wound.’
This doesn't kill Heralds - in deathrattle lists their banner is still fantastic, but a herald buddy will no longer give our non-liche, non-mummy 5 wound heroes the added buffer needed to help them survive a round of sniper fire. In particularly, you can no longer use them to manage wounds on a vampire in order to get the most out of their blood chalice.

3: Merged zombie units must still respect max unit size in matched play
Q: Can I use the Zombies’ Shambling Horde ability to create a unit that is larger than the normal maximum unit size for a Zombie unit in a Pitched Battle? Does it cost reinforcement points to use the ability?
A: No to both.
This one sounds reasonable to me, and I already played this way.

Did anyone notice any other particularly relevant changes?

dongilles

Grave Guard
Mar 17, 2011
The ring one really sucks... I do not understand this change. Why would you ever use it now.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, it's pretty much worthless now. At least there's still the cursed book and the tomb blade.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
The ring is absolutely insane decision. This is not a new unit this is an existing unit that gets 1D3 wounds back to try again.

Our local GW store immediately house ruled that decision to be invalid so we can still use the ring as usual in our local store. That's how stupid that decision is.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I am also baffled by the decision to make that ruling on the Ring of Immortality. I can only surmise that they wanted to stop making it such an attractive choice, but to go to the opposite extreme is a very bad piece of FAQ implementation. It's very disappointing.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
On the bright side, the ring ruling confirms that ANY rule that replaces a destroyed unit will require reserve points. So, if High Elf players expect to resurrect a phoenix, they will need to set aside 300 points out of their list but will only get to spend them 50% of the time!

Eat it, Phoenix Temple! :D

But the idea of setting aside full points on an item that will return the model with D3 wounds is absurd when you could just spend those points to have a SECOND, full strength character for the ENTIRE battle, and a different magic artifact. Or in the HE example, a second Phoenix for the whole game and no resurrection.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
The only way i can see the ring still vaguely useful, is upon a low points (100) general, and just because it means that you still have the command ability and the general trait.
But it's very situational.
If only the cost was halved... to pay full points for a d3 wounds model makes no sense.

Zacharias

Ghoul
Jan 28, 2011
I'm reading the FAQ to the generals handbook and can't find this information anywhere. Was going to give this ring to my mounted ghoul king but want to double check I can do it.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
If you're looking at the FAQs, you need to go to the Warhammer Community site. I don't think the GW site Rules Errata page has the updated FAQ for the General's Handbook yet.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu