• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Ghostmaker

Ghoul
Feb 17, 2010
Oslo
I'm on the same fence as Sanai. I might join, if only to be there from the beginning^^ But first I would like to know a bit more. I love backround information, and thouroughly developed worlds, so I'd enjoy your version of 'know as you go', but first I would like the overall info on the universe.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
So, I think the general idea is that theres a lot of interest in your idea Grish, but people would like to know a bit more about the backstory/ general history as well as some inkling of game mechanics... I know I like to know how a game is to work roughly before jumping in...

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
So we have for sure:

knightofni
Evanm7
Marcus Von Drac
AsdrubaelWho
DoN
Deadgrass

On the fence:
Ghostmaker
Sanai
Onikaigo

Out:
Keldane

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
To reply to everyone on the fence:

World:
The world is sort of like our world. You know how something like Dick Tracy, or Sin City, is basically our world with little tweaks? Things are darker, dirtier, poorer. More punk/goth elements. Corporations are more sinister, more crime and violence. Cops are dirtier... hopefully this gets you going. I don't like to set it all in stone as the characters are the central part of any story; not the world. A world that is malleable can be tweaked to have a better story with the characters.

I do not really want to go into the details and history, especially about mages and supernatural elements. This is part of the wonder and appeal that is Mage. If necessary I will PM certain people if needed to get them on board, but it might be back and forth. I have let DoN in on it as he may cohost it with me. As I am in Canada and he is in the UK, two people running the show may be better than one. Also, I lack experience with this form of roleplay. Suffice to say, the world may really have some people struggling to wrap their heads around it.

Character creation:
No one will start a mage. Everyone will be a regular joe. You'll work in a movie store, a coffee shop, as an accountant, a clerk, a programmer. Regular lives. Law enforcement is fine, detective work, drug dealer (small time), deadbeat thug etc. Everyone will come from the same area of the world, or end up there (working overseas). We'll roleplay the rest. Most will get their asses handed to them in a fist fight with drunken frat boys. Some may have families, others are single. Whatever you want. People are encouraged to create people that will work well together. Sneaky characters that go off on their own are discouraged, as it will downplay roleplaying, and make story telling more difficult as you need to devote so much extra time to one persons wish to go out on their own. Evil people will be disallowed, as will characters that cannot work well in a group. Nothing worse than when someone wants to play a necromancer and someone is a paladin. Either one kills the other, or people don't roleplay their characters. Neither is good, although I much, much prefer people play their characters. If someone wants to occasionally play a villain, that will be allowed (in so much as I would normally be roleplaying that character... it will not be their character, they will just be roleplaying it).

I do require everyone flesh out their character as much as possible. Are they a coward? Are they a drug addict? Love of women, coffee, power? What kind of family do they have, background growing up? As much as you can to make them as real as possible. Did they have a major failing, or could not be what they wanted to?

Character goals:
At first, it'll be mundane goals. Get a raise, a new job, a girlfriend. Go the concert they've wanted, get out of a loveless marriage.

I do not want people roleplaying enemies, except for people that are strong roleplayers that want occasional appearances, and are fine with their character being slain. In fact that goes for everyone... no one will be killed out of hand, but rest assured you CAN be slain. No combat feels the same if you feel you can't be killed. As long as you play in character things should be interesting and go well.

Game Mechanics:
I'm brushing up on the rules currently, but these should not matter. They are background to story, a manner of getting things done. If you want to be perceptive, strong socially, charming, etc, then that's your character. You can make the character fit any game mechanics, so the mechanics themselves shouldn't be too important.

As roleplaying in the forum is done differently that what I'm accustomed, the game mechanics may even change if they're not working out well. Most roleplaying is done very back and forth, with the GM asking for roles, and the results of those roles determining future actions. I don't know if forum roleplaying can be done the same. My gut feeling says it will be far too slow, so prerolling will be important, or even if/than statements. Perhaps dice rolling will not work at all, and a free-form story telling will be needed.

So at first it will be some trial and error I think.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
I'm afraid I don't think this particular game will be for me. While I can definitely see the value of building character in such a manner, I suspect I would be bored to tears long before the game reached the point where magic came to the fore. In short, if a game is about magic and the supernatural, then for me to enjoy it, it has to actually be about magic and the supernatural. And, I will admit, the lack of specificity about available abilities is pushing me away from this game, as well - it seems to make the game far too open to the possibility of characters of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu archetype (and as a reminder, these are personal preferences, not anything aimed at anyone).

On your note about loner characters, one of the beautiful things about forums is that it's easy to do offshoots. Whereas in face to face roleplaying, dealing with loners that have separated from the group requires that the GM stop telling the group's story to tell the loner's story, on forums, it's as simple as a paragraph per post assigned to the wayward character. It is more effort from the GM, and it doesn't pose the same interference with the main story that the divided attention demanded by the same event in tabletop roleplaying would. Technically, this is neither here nor there, but for some reason, I felt compelled to comment.

On the topic of dice rolling, as I've mentioned, the dice roller at Invisible Castle allows for recording and linking to roll results. Until DoN gets the integrated dice rolling up and running, it may work for your purposes.

At any rate, I wish you luck, and I'll probably still be hanging around and seeing how this develops.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Ok Keldane, sounds good. If you want to join in later let me know.

To extrapolate:
This is the style I wish to run. If you want to join in later when these questions are answered and established, that's more than fine. However, a good deal of enjoyment I myself recieved from this game was slowly finding out about the world. I suppose I am saying "just trust me". It is possible to have Mary Sue archetypes, but these will be highly discouraged from myself. However, I can't force people to roleplay well if they do not wish to (or cannot!). I can only encourage it and reward it. (I actually had to google those fan fiction terms...)

After about 1 - 2 weeks of roleplaying, I hope the story will progress where magic will be there.

Abilities are not limitless, and if a character is stronger in one area, they are weaker in another. They will only have so many points to spend.

You seem to be an experienced player Keldane, I would like you to join!

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
Sounds good.

Just two minor questions. 1) Is this going to be third or first person? and 2) Is there a set character profile template?

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
I also have a question.
Will the magic ability be chosen by the role player or will it be given by the GM?
If given, will that be before our characters are submitted?
If chosen by the player, since it won't be present at the onset of the game, does the player inform the GM what this ability is when their character is submitted for approval? As I assume the characters will need to be approved.
Knowing what their ability will be can go a long way to helping develop a background and fleshing in the persona of the character. Downside to this is that it may become obvious what the ability is even before it is revealed.
I like the idea of being given an ability as it makes me as a player work harder to integrate it into my character (or vice versa) and the story.
On the other hand, choosing and knowing what it is, as I said previously, goes a long way making the character my own.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Magic and abilities will be chosen by the player.
Players will choose when given a lot more information by myself. You will have adequate information and time to make a choice that best suits yourself and your character.
All characters will have access to all abilities. However, you will need to make choices and you cannot be great at everything.
I believe a persona should be different from your abilities. Regardless of what life you walked before you become a Mage, you will have a completely different life when you become a mage. You will have free choice, and the story developed to encompass that choice.

If people really feel they need more information than just trusting me, I will post up the types of mages there are available once you become a mage. All types of mages have access to the same abilities, so it's mainly a style choice.

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
I'll trust you Grish, just unaware of the mechanics due to being new at online play.

When would you like the submissions by and do you want them PM'd or posted?

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Characters should be PMd to me. Once DoN gives this a proper forum, I'll have a public Character section where people can post their characters, and what people should know about them.

All private matters should be dealt with via PMs. Anything public knowledge should be in the Character section. The less opportunity for metagaming the better!
Also, could you provide me with what experience you have with roleplaying and what country/timezone you're in (GMT-1, GMT+6, etc)

I need a city to run this in. Currently I'm thinking either Toronto or London, UK (depending on how much involvement DoN will have). This is so that the people running the game know the city, country, laws, structure, etc quite well and can create a believable story (as much as a story about Mages can be). If DoN is too busy or too wishy washy, we'll do it in Toronto. I know Google Streetview has been through there as well, so any streets/settings can actually be viewed by all of you. Your origin may be different, but for whatever reason (work, holiday, etc) you will need to be in one city and have or find a compelling reason to remain. This will greatly aid roleplaying.

Looking forward to it!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Just a note that this RP will be anything but boring. I have spoken with Grish and the mechanics he has on place are very interesting, I can assure you of that. The possibilities for you characters are enormous, but there is also a superb thing in place to stop players going over the top.

Basically I am saying that having seen what Grish is on about, you should trust him and give it a go, if you don't Grish then trust me! xd

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
I'm sold.

After I wake up I'll make a character, a regular joe kinda guy. I -love- playing a normal dude, especially after yeas of playing something that is supernatural, superhuman, or otherwise abnormal in an awesome respect.

I call the place of the tourist! I'm visiting London (If it's held there), and as such will fit in perfectly as a Yank (Isn't that what you Gentleman call us? ^_^). Of course with a few personality quirks.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
I think you've snared me too,(that and this fence isn't terrible comfortable :|) without knowing the mechanics of the game I can't promise I'll be a great addition, my experience with RPG's beyond the computerised variety are heavily-DM-driven DnD campaigns and things like the VAU, but I can promise to give it my best!

I'm in Brisbane, Australia so I'm not great on what will be local customs and my timezone varies a bit to the CN norm, but if you'll have me, I'll gladly take a whack at it!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Can we have a thread for planning/developing our characters before we post them in the characters thread?

Mr Nightwere

Necromancer
May 30, 2009
Nuln
Ge all this talk of archetypes has me recalling my other characters...:|

I think I would like to be a part of this Rp..
I just hope it wont end up like when I tried to join the Gunhearts thread and lose interest.. but this looks like a cool idea so ill see how it goes.
Nice idea Grish

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu