• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

New - is this too cheesy?

So I've decided to make a VC army, always wanted one, but never got around to it, so I am converting a bit of my Empire to save a chunk of money (AU$150 for 5 knights? Comeon GW...but that's for another topic...).

Anyways, in the next few months, my local GW (and all the ones in the city) will be having a 1250pt tournament and it will most likely be played with 8th Ed rules assuming they come out on schedule.

Anyways, my question is would it be too over the top for have a unit of say 4 or 5 blood knights with the BSB, regen and hatred and all that in a 1250pt army? I know I'll be spending a good chunk of my points on it, looking at 500ish, but I don't think there would be a lot in 1250pt that can have an easy time with that kind of unit.

Making friends with this army is a non issue ;) :tongue:

I've run that unit in times past. 5 Blood Knights with full command and Banner of the Blood Keep is 400pts. A Wight King BSB (the cheapest BSB you'll get) is 257pts with the Drakenhof Banner. So together that's 657pts altogether. The unit will be all but invincible but I don't think it's necessarily in the spirit of a 1,250pts game...

Also consider that the BSB can't be your general so you'll need a Vampire as well who'll likely come in at between 150-200pts on his own. That's up to 857pts before you've started on your main army itself and the Blood Knights will be quite simple to charge bait - especially if they can't march with 8th ed rules. If you find yourself playing an elf army, another vampire army or anyone rocking the Lore of Metal then I reckon you'll lose, friend.

Now personally I've found that when this unit really comes to the fore is in a 3,000-4,000 game and upwards.

ok, cool, just tossing up ideas at the moment, I really wanted either a decked out Blood Knights unit or decked grave Guard as my core.

U

ulrik

I'd say 5 Blood Knights, FC, but without character or magic banner.

Because if you have a full unit with character and banners and all that stuff, if the tournament has any kind of point system for army composition, you'll end up so low on these points, you can't win the tournament even if you massacre all your opponents (and if you end up losing a game or two, you'll end up among the bottom for sure).

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
8th edition rules? Then 25% max on rares means 312 pts max on Rares. Personally I'd take 5 Blood Knights with Banner of Hellfire for 305 pts, would eliminate all the aboms, hydras, regen stuff~ and hit a wall against dragon princes :D

Kalandros said:
8th edition rules? Then 25% max on rares means 312 pts max on Rares. Personally I'd take 5 Blood Knights with Banner of Hellfire for 305 pts, would eliminate all the aboms, hydras, regen stuff~ and hit a wall against dragon princes :D
Hmm, yeah, assuming they go back to %. Why oh why do they need a new edition :( It's so hard to write up lists without all the details :tongue:

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Cheesy, no because you could terrorize you opponent, but more often than not you'd just be chasing fast cav around the board or blasted by some sort of nastiness.

Having played Beastmen and O&G before starting in on the VC army I'm sure I'm just as giddy about some of the things your excited about. Units that won't run away because of a failed fear test, will stick around for a few rounds even with combat going poorly, and some super amazing cav choices. On the same note, how would you deal with the Uber Ouchy Vampires of Destruction with your empire? Line up some fast cav bait near a wood, then let them work their way out of the wood for a turn or two while you go and kill the VC general ?

If you wanted to use some effective cav I'd go with the black knights and some dire wolves. Sure they won't blow up a unit but they'll give you some tactical advantages that will greatly outweigh the effectiveness of one super unit that might spend several rounds enjoying the trees and woodland creatures of Old World.