• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

New ratmen..!

sven

Skeleton
Anything is better than those old clanrat models. But there's something odd about them. I wonder what will stormvermin look like..

Funny thing is I kinda put my rats in well deserved vacation, and got into VC to pass the time while waiting new skaven book. Now I don't feel like returning to skaven. And new models aren't helping either.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I think they look pretty good myself. I am eagerly anticipating the release of the Skaven book, not to collect them but for some reason Skaven have always held a certain interest for me - bring back the doomwheel!

Sibbechai

Grave Guard
Disciple of Nagash said:
I think they look pretty good myself. I am eagerly anticipating the release of the Skaven book, not to collect them but for some reason Skaven have always held a certain interest for me - bring back the doomwheel!
Unless they make some last minute-changes, the wheel will be back!

The models, yeah, I really like them. First impression was more like "huh, what, wow, weird", but they have exactly the creepy feeling they should have..!
Oh, and just got this in an email... :lol2:

ironlord

Black Knight
the new mins seem skinier than before
this is a good thing actually because i think it fits better with the skaven fluff
i didn't like the previous bulky ratmen because i didnt think skaven could put on some beef
these look alot more like skaven to me

i am considering a skaven army but im going to wait until i see stormvermin and the rules madness finishes and everyone is finished picking appart the rules looking for flaws and things to moan about

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Nice models, and a nice cover as well.

The things in the background: Perhaps some sort of monster, like a Hydra for Darkelves? Originating from Clan Moulder?

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Oh my, what wonderful minis. It took GW long enough to re-do this army.
As for the monster in the background - it's probably one of those modeless terrors that show up on the cover on any given Army Book but never the table because they'd be too powerful (did anyone notice the Warlord Titan on the cover of Codex: Chaos Space Marines?) :)

ironlord

Black Knight
Nope the rumourmill has spoken about a giant rat, similar to our varghulf, but it will be a moulder pet thing anyway.
It was discussed on podhammer and sparked a debate about how every new army seems to have a rare monster that is literaly a close combat monster capable of eating whole units in one gulp.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
This is making me want Skaven....Can I handle 3 1/2 armies for Fantasy? I'm starting to get obsessive, I think. =O

ironlord

Black Knight
the big rat looks like its made fom resin?

or is that just a tester before they start to mass produce it

ironlord said:
the big rat looks like its made fom resin?

or is that just a tester before they start to mass produce it
It is generally considered to have absolutely nothing to do with the upcoming Skaven release.

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
How come every time I'm offline for a day or two something exciting happens..?

These new models look a lot better than the old ones, and even though I won't probably get any rats I'm damned tempted.

Sibbechai

Grave Guard
The Dark Sheep said:
How come every time I'm offline for a day or two something exciting happens..?

These new models look a lot better than the old ones, and even though I won't probably get any rats I'm damned tempted.
Nothing personal, really, but... could you please go away for a while then? :lol2:

Stuff I know and remember from WarSeer..:

Dude on the cover is, as I thought, Queek. Not sure whether he lost his 2 magical weapons ruleswise though, since he's shown with a shield.
The verminlord seems to be back, but only available after casting some very hard spell, the highest casting value in the game (including Kroakies special stuff!). He's said to have a lot of 5's in his profile, and he will or will not be able to cast spells himself (probably "will", since Harry said so..!)
Assassins are going to be upgrades for units, like with DE. Not as strong, but some nice magic stuff possible.
Lots of older special characters will be back, including the clan-specific guys. Queek, as shown on the cover, and the Deathmaster. At the very least will that last guy get a new miniature, some jumping pose (described as extremely awesome..!)
Oh, and of course, the Doomwheels are back. Possibly as a character (Skryre) mount.
According to some offcial text, there should also be at least 2 really new units. One of which is some kind of Wind Globe thrower or so.

ironlord

Black Knight
oh that would be sweet, maybe not to face but fluff wise it is awesome
a giant catapult sized poison globe...

Sibbechai

Grave Guard
Yeah, it was some kind of warmachine. There was some speculation, but it was something along those lines. I think.
Some stone thrower-like rules indeed, though I'm not sure anymore what it fires. Whatever it is, it probably isn't nice and furry, right! (at the very least mean and furry, if it's a slave launcher..! :pumpkin: )

Yeah, the new war marchine is a kit that combines with the redesigned Screaming Bell... If im correct you can see the new contraption on the right side of the cover :thumb: It's rumoured to be some sort of giant plague censor thing that uses the same frame as the Screaming Bell.

Most of the old heroes are coming back like Ikit and Queek, and Deathmaster Snitch has a fantastic new model... Probably one of the best so far in my opinion :vampire2:

I don't know how true this is or not, but... the giant beastie thing is hellpit monster that burrows... and suposdedly units can follow it up afterwards.

They are making a more varied list so that all the clans can be catered too, not predominetly skyre and pestilens as in 6th edition.

Skaven lore is rumoured to have 13 spells with the highest casting value spell in the game and also rumoured to be grey seer acolytes that are casters, but we shall see in a few months time!

Also that big beast posted above has been debunked as the skaven monster, and was some sort of nurgle demon.
The Doomwheel is also making a come back!

ironlord

Black Knight
ooh a slave firing catapult

id probably mod it to fire gutter/night runners
first turn charge ftw!

but that would make it like the gobbo doom diver

ironlord said:
ooh a slave firing catapult

id probably mod it to fire gutter/night runners
first turn charge ftw!

but that would make it like the gobbo doom diver
I have a feeling you would have loved the Skaven experimental weapon rules GW released a few years back. Not to derail the thread at all, but there was a Stunty-Shredder (a Dwarf gyrocopter on it's side, pushed by Rat Ogres) and something like a Warpstone-Thrower.