New To Warhammer, Need Pointers on my 2500 army

Armoured

Zombie
So I'm just starting out, my teacher runs a mean dark elves army and doesn't often lose to anyone. I am currently building my army and have a general Idea of what I want to run and do. Below I will list my selections and point costs. I have researched my unit choices thoroughly and I definitely want to run black coaches if I take rares at all. I have researched them thoroughly and understand that most people just use them incorrectly (by themselves with no cav support). All unit champions and musicians were taken.
Lords- Count Mannfred (530 pts)
Core- Crypt Ghouls x30(310 pts)
Skeleton Warriors x40/w swiftness standard and spears(235 pts)
Zombies x25(85 pts)
Specials- where I need help!
Vargheist x6(286 pts)
Black Knights x10(330)pts,x5(200) with barding,lances, and Banner of Barrows
Grave Guard x24(319 pts) Mannfred will be on foot with them plus war banner
Hexwraiths x5(160 pts)
Rare-Black Coach x2(390 pts)

So I'm 15 over if I take 5 hexwraiths with 5 black knights and want to take 2 black coaches. Ideally would it be better to cut out 1 black coach add 5 more black knights and give myself a few more skeleton warriors or zombies as tar pits?

Last edited:

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
I should preface this by saying I've not played in a while so my word should be taken with a grain of salt.

I will always be a staunch defender of black coaches, however taking more than 1 us generally not that great an idea because they have to share the dice from evocation of death, making them charge up a lot slower and you really want them to get to at least level 3 as quickly as possible.

In that light I would probably drop the second black coach in favour of a hero, rather than more knights. Whether a necromancer or a vampire, it's pretty important to have a back up in case your lord dies- both in terms of having access to spells/ not losing your entire magic defense capabilties.

Any spare points could basically be put anywhere, more black knights or filling out the core a bit.

I would say that black coaches are actually quite effective by themselves without any support, so long as you understand that they can't deal with ranked units and will have a fair amount of trouble in later rounds. My preferred tactic is actually using them in a combo charge with monsters/ other chariots- you charge such that the black coach will take up as many enemy models as possible and leave the other, more squishy units on the fringes where possible- this isn't really possible with cavalry as your own unit will lose attacks in the process.

Armoured

Zombie
Thank you so much for the pointers it definitely brought light to what I can and want to do. My next question is in taking a vampire as a hero should I give him the battle standard after making him level 2?

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
If you have the spare points it can be worthwhile, just beware that it will make the vampire much more of a target because of the bonus points you get for killing your opponent's Battle Standard Bearer. rarely is it worth getting a magic standard though

Armoured

Zombie
Hey thanks man, the only question now is what units do I put him with as foot infantry

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
If Manny is in your GG then put him in your skeletons, the champion can accept challenges and you can resurrect him each time to accept more challenges :)

Hellion Nox

Grave Guard
Hey there, just a heads up.
Banner of the barrows is best used in the GG unit.
I find 10 black knights, on their own, no support of the blender vampire lord on nightmare to be quite a waste of points.

24 GG will also not do you any good. Try a 32-34 strong unit with GW and BotB instead. You can put characters in there if you want.
Crypt ghouls are decent vs dark elves, but best used for flanking purposes.
Skel warriors with spears is a waste unless if you're boosting them with lore of shadows. They become dangerous if supported with okkam's. S&B is the way to go ;)
Split the vargheists up into 2 units of 3. A unit larger than 4 is usually overkill. And there is alot more hunting they can do if split in 2. Do know that your opponent would only have to focus on 1 unit to get them down should you run them in 6.
Hexwraiths are free points to Dark elves. They've got plenty of magic spells to take them out and rarely any armor saves for the wraiths to negate.
If you're set on running a black coach, pick 1 instead of 2.

Lords.. manny is good, but you'd be better off with a standard blender lord.
If your enemy runs cold one knights, run him on a barded nightmare with ogre blade. If he doesn't, pick +2A instead and run him with your GG or skeletons/ghouls.
ALWAYS pick a champion in the units so he can accept challenges for your VL. Why ? VL wants to go on an onslaught and kill at pleasure, not get stuck in face offs ;)

Also, if running a black coach, consider the black periapt on a master necro (if you've got the spare points) in your list. It is an amazing item. That been said, MoTDA is a good power to run with the coach, but if you ask me, I'd say it is overcosted by at least 20 points.