• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Note to self

If you take a combat lord on the dragon spend the points and get the wristbands of Black and gold

- no he didn't die, but he did take 2 wounds from 5 goblin spider riders. Needless to say the "pucker" factor was fairly high.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
What did you use as equipment for your Lord, if I may ask? But yes, it is generally a wise idea to invest in some additional protection when it comes to such a large and vulnerable target, and especially so if it happens to be your general. :vampire2:

Another tip, if you're going up against the Dark Elves and you've decided to bring a Dragon Lord, make sure to equip your Lord so that he is capable of engaging a War Hydra and defeat it with confidence. It'll really help the rest of your army out. :)

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
If you are spending THAT kind of points on a character... he better be able to take on multiple Hydra/ABombs/Gorghons/etc... after all, how many points is a Lord/Dragon? FOUR (or so) times the points of any of the monsters I listed?

When I wrote that I was still in shock.

1- I knew my opponent would assume that I had the wristbands
This bluff actually worked until the 5th turn when his spider riders had nothing else to shoot at.
2- My opponent has cursed his shooting phase the last 4 times and complains how futile it is shooting against VC
He took 2 doom divers and had 5 units of fast cav (so not to scary on the shooting but too much to gamble with)

So I made a combat god

Lord
+1 magic Level
Red Fury
Ghoulkin (4 units of ghouls) first time I used it and it was nice to get that extra 8"
Walking Death
Dread Lance
Nightshroud
Black Periapt
Zombie Dragon

as you can see little to no defense so the safest place for him to be is in combat. I did have two hills to hide behind so it made him a late game closer. The unit of 5 blood knights were the star of the show, they destroyed both his unit of savage orc boar boy bigguns then took out his only rank and file black orc 25 stong (when they destroyed the black orc unit they were only 4 strong). Very impressed.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Bishop said:
If you are spending THAT kind of points on a character... he better be able to take on multiple Hydra/ABombs/Gorghons/etc... after all, how many points is a Lord/Dragon? FOUR (or so) times the points of any of the monsters I listed?
The problem arises from the Zombie Dragon and its relative vulnerability when compared to other Dragons. If the Hydra is not killed on the charge (a very real possibility if you've gone for anything else than the Balefire Spike or the Dreadlance) then you'll face 7 attacks that'll hit the Dragon on 5's with re-rolls and then take a wound on 4's. From now on it'll be Balefire Spike, Infinite Hatred and Red Fury for my Dragon Lord, thank you very much. :vampire2:

I wouldn't take a zombie dragon against anyone with RBT's. Its to expensive, not just in points for what you get, but the hero slot and little to no protection. Orcs and Gobbos it is nice, but past that not worth it. think of what you can get for 270 points. I would rather mount my lord on another vampire lol.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
BigBoston said:
I wouldn't take a zombie dragon against anyone with RBT's. Its to expensive, not just in points for what you get, but the hero slot and little to no protection. Orcs and Gobbos it is nice, but past that not worth it. think of what you can get for 270 points. I would rather mount my lord on another vampire lol.
Sorry, but are you crazy!! 35 pts for a BT and they can very very VERY easily field 6-8 with no problem if they wish. Not counting a DD or 2 thrown in. 4+ to hit long range, 3+short range....No thanks. As a O&G player I love to see big tasty monsters roaming around. They are so easy to cook afterwards as you already have them on a spit...or 2...or 3.....:lol:

If O&G want to spent there point on 8 bolt throwers against VC I'm okay with that. if i don't bring the dragon I'm playing 280 points up. You need to pay attention to the meta game pal, call me crazy.