• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Obscure Rules Question on Impassible/Random Movement/Magical Vortex

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
So like the title said strange question with a slight conflict of rules.

A unit has random movement (Either naturally or from a spell).

There is a magical vortex right infront of them.

3" in front of the magical vortex is a piece of Impassible Terrain.

For arguments sake lets say that this unit move 6" on their random movement roll, This brings them right into the magical vortex. The FAQ states that a unit that moves through a magical vortex takes the hits then is placed 1" beyond it. What if the unit is more that 1" long. They are required to stay 1" away from the vortex, 1" away from the impassible, and have to pop out on the opposite side of the vortex.

ClusterF--- right here. I don't even know how to think about this one? Does the unit disappear? I would certainly hope not but who knows!

Opinions?

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well I would move the unit/model up to 1" away from the impassabel terrain and place the template 1" away from said unit. This seems to make the most sense and there isn't too much rule bending involved :) But it isn't perfect by any means.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
If it is put through another unit, that unit is unaffected, if it is off the table it is lost.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
I get that if the Template moves on it's own during the magic phase then the units it passes through will get affected. If it moves off of the table then it will be removed. How is that fair for the player who casted the spell?

I cast P-Sun and ends right infront of that unit.
I cast Cocky Choir and that unit is forced to move through it next phase
That unit cannot complete it's movement due to impassible terrain
I lose my P-Sun, without him wasting dice to dispell it, and it doesn't affect other units?
It's not my fault that he either chose to not dispell either spell or failed to dispell them both, why should I have to pay for his bad rolling/bad choices?

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well that is the nature of p-sun and warhammer in general. You could chose to not cast "cocky choir". Yoour bonus would be that the unit, if you chose to cast it, would be hit by the p-sun..

Whether I think it is fair or not sadly matter very little when it comes to rules.. But I think the senario you've come up with is more fair than other possible outcomes.

Q: If a magical vortex ends its move over a unit it is placed 1" beyond the unit. If this is also over a unit should it be placed 1" beyond that unit, repeating the process until it is not touching any models? When this happens, I assume models between where the magical vortex ended its move and where the template is placed are not affected by the spell? (p36)
A: Yes to both questions.