• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Of bees and pollen

Summer is lurking behind the corner and there are beautiful flowers everywhere, busy time for bees.

PS: I love this forum, so many dimensions.

I saw this thread and thought it was about Beekeeping. As a side note anyone can pollinate. I have successfully cross pollinated a double blooming wild Orienpet (commonly referred to as a "Tiger Lily") with all the others (about 40). To do this you must cut the flower off and gently twirl it into the other flowers mixing the pollen as you go, this makes plants go crazy. You're doing the job of the bees for them x1000. Once you do this there is a 50/50 chance of the pollinated flower becoming a double bloom the following year. It took 3 seasons to get all my Lilies to be double bloomers. Then another random weird genetic marker struck in the plant.... one triple bloomed..... So I began cross pollinating it with all the rest of the doubles. As of last year I have 28 double, 11 triples and nature at it's finest produced another marvel through the only real natural law of spontaneous order, a quadruple bloomer. It's ridiculous.

Purdue University has one of the best horticulture departments in the world, they're awesome. So I give them a call and sent them a photo of my lilies and what I had been doing. They told me they had heard of triple bloomers but that they were rare as hens teeth. Then after I explained the quadruple they wanted to come out and splice the bulb.

No, lol. I'll give the university one after I have cloned it from the other 39.

I don't think this was what your parents meant when they had this discussion with you. Nevertheless you got some beautiful flowers growing which makes me all warm and fuzzy. Good for you! Let all the flowers bloom!

alppikutka said:
I don't think this was what your parents meant when they had this discussion with you. Nevertheless you got some beautiful flowers growing which makes me all warm and fuzzy. Good for you! Let all the flowers bloom!
LOL.

Ahhh. Subtle, very subtle. I'm an innocent soul, forgive me. If you want to get them twitterpated though start growing flowers. I get out in the dirt at 6am when all the lovely "birds" are out jogging and they always stop to talk about my flowers. I usually send them off with one or two and then I can bring them a dozen or so after we sort out some details.

It works. They are suckers for flowers.

(still waiting on a bee husbandry thread)

Using flowers to lure others in hopes of reproducing? That's very plant-like of you! You sure your tiger lilies don't mind you using their pick-up strategy?

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Awww. I thought this thread was actually about bees disappearing.

I am starting to stockpile honey (I used it instead of sugar, including in my green tea - yum xD), who knows of they bees are going to fully die out :(

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Next you are going to say you do something as disturbing as drink tea with milk *shivers* People in england are creepy.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
*Tears up* Really?....You drink it as well? You know I always promised myself I wouldn't cry when I finally found someone else......*breaks down sobbing*

On a serious note, you are the only other person I have spoken to who drinks green tea and honey. xD

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
*Tears up* Really?....You drink it as well? You know I always promised myself I wouldn't cry when I finally found someone else......*breaks down sobbing*

On a serious note, you are the only other person I have spoken to who drinks green tea and honey. xD
I started because I had stomach problems and it seemed to help, now I do it because it's yummy yum!

I know a few people who drink it but they don't take it with honey :'(

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Much better for you than sugar or syrup. The health benefits of honey are huge and one spoon of honey is a sweet as two spoons of sugar. I tried it as a health kick some years back and now I find the taste of refined sugar in tea horrible.

Join us......

I think I know what honey is an euphemism for but what on earth does green tea got to do with anything?! This is a thread for knights in shining armor, magical forests and ivory towers.

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well this thread has been derailed completely.. I do the green every once in a while and if I have honey in the house I use that instead of sugar. That being said my daily drug is coffee - black coffee..

Well I usually don't enter the magical forest with my ivory tower wearing shining armour, the sound and logistics alone seem like an utter nightmare.!

Once you go black, you never go back? Do you enjoy your coffee 20 past four? Also, my ivory tower is taller than yours. :tongue:

EDIT: And it's not the derailing I'm afraid. I'm afraid somebody actually puts this thread on the rails.