• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Hi,

As some of you have heard, there are more and more rumours that VC may be getting a new Army Book around January 2012 time. Hence (as suggested by Anubis) hereafter referred to as Vampuary :vampire3:

Whilst there was another thread created to discuss it, the discussion took an...ah....indepth twist. Therefore I have created this thread to be CN's official repository for the rumours.

Please post up and information or rumours you find (including updates at Warseer). Myself or mods (mods feel free) will update this first post as we hopefully receive more reliable info.

Current Info - Last Updated 28th December

Official Announcement Posted with latest info and pics here: https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Rumour-Compilation-Vampire-Counts-New-Release-14th-Jan-2012

So, lets keep these (reliable) rumours coming!

Cheers

DoN

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Krell yes please. But does anybody else think we'd be a little too on the heals of the TK book coming out for another undead book to drop? Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I don't think its too soon. A tk book is no help to us, neither is a VC book any help to the tk. That is like saying "a bretonian book is too soon after an empire book"

I don't think it is at all possible for the flesh golems to be zombie ogres. Just wouldn't fit/feel right, and the rumour said flesh golems, if they were zombie ogres, they would have been immediatly recogniseable as ogres.
Depending on how old it is, the female vampire rumour could have just referred to the aristocratic vampire, or even to the dark eldar lahmean because of its bloodline inspired name.

Uziel

Vargheist
Aug 29, 2011
Adam_Barrow said:
Krell yes please. But does anybody else think we'd be a little too on the heals of the TK book coming out for another undead book to drop? Here's hoping I'm wrong.

I must admit that it makes me a bit sceptical to be honest. Vampire counts is one of the most difficult armies to balance right (due to having many unique units suchs as ethereals, and having the Unstable rule to name some reasons). Hope they don't rush it and botch the job because the release scedule. When I first get my claws on a hard cover VC book after so many years of waiting, I want it to be a good one after all. *fingers crossed*

Dan_Lee

Grave Guard
Aug 14, 2010
Nottingham
To be honest I don't care what new models or units we get. We just got a new monster and several new models, which when I think about it makes me doubt our book is only a few months away.

What I really care about though, is that GW DOESN'T SCREW IT UP!

Corpse Gatherer

Skeleton
Dec 8, 2010
Manchester
with the release of storm of magic it makes sense for them to do the VC's, everyone just been out and bought the army book to use the pacts in SoM, so they make a new army book and you have to go buy it again! sneaky...

Uziel

Vargheist
Aug 29, 2011
As one said previously (I think it was N.I.B), the VC book might not be the oldest, but GW is a model-making company, and if you look at all the armies, I thin that VC do have a lot of old and frankly sub-par models (not saying we don't have some very cool ones as well mind you). Some armies do perhaps need a new book more than we do rule-wise.
One obvious example is wood elves. One potential problem with them though is that they do already have a range of excellent models, so there is not so much money in it releasing a new book for them as it is for Vampire counts. Vampire Counts also suffer from the mono-build syndrome, which is also a bad thing for GW's sales, as many don't bother buying old models for units they're not going to use anyway. This is why I do think We might see a VC book next year.
The White Dwarf "upgrade" is certainly ha hint that they might have noticed the problem at least.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Curious to see how this turns out. TK book had some issues, most related to how the undead rules work on low-stat units in 8e, and I'd worry with the vamp book so soon that they wouldn't have had time to recognized and deal with these issues.

That said, I don't play competetively, so mostly what I want are some cool new models, neat new units, the return of bloodlines & necromancer lords, and a fancy hardcover army book. All of that sounds pretty likely to me, so I expect I'll be a happy camper. If the book is designed in a way that allowes multiple build styles (particularly within the same bloodlines rather then requiring a bloodline change to try a different build), then I'll consider that a particularly happy bonus.

Already envisioning a necromancer or necrarch army with a bunch of flesh golems and big undead monsters. Sounds awesome to me!

SotF

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2010
Ohio
One thing that I kind of hope they do instead of going back to the straight bloodlines is to offer packages where you can pick a bloodline for your army and certain abilities have reduced cost or greater bonus'.

For example, go with Blood Dragons and Avatar of Death/Dread Knight are at -5 or -10 point cost.

I'd also like to see the workings of the extra bloodlines from the RPG stuff being fit into it and the necromancer armies.

it could also be interesting to add in a way to have an older style Undead army. Perhaps simply have a Nagash mini with a special rule that if he's one of your Lord choices Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts armies are treated as Trusted Allies and always a Grand Alliance (Even if either or both are below 2000 points)

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I expect some nerfing, based simply on what happened to tomb kings. As for how much, hard to say. Honestly, I'd expect the worst (no spamming the rez spell, increased casting value, no raising units above starting size, no healing characters, healing of non-infantry limited to 1 wound per phase), and if it's not that bad then be happy, rather then hoping for everything to stay the way it is, and be disappointed at even a slight nerf.

Oct 4, 2011
I guess all I'm really hopeful for is that they preserve the general playstyle that was unique and drew my interest initially to the Vampire Counts (I.E. very heavy on summoning models in the midst of battle).

Well, that and skeletons replacing ghouls as the de facto core choice. If we can't have a healthy selection of useful core choices, at least make sure the one real choice there is is actually undead :p.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
Malisteen said:
(no spamming the rez spell, increased casting value, no raising units above starting size, no healing characters, healing of non-infantry limited to 1 wound per phase),

*winces* That'd cut deep. I could live with no raising units (bar zombies!) above starting size, and maybe an increased casting value, but only being allowed to cast once per phase, not being able to heal characters, and only being able to heal non-infantry once per phase would effectively see us all taking huge hordes and hiding our general inside a bunker of a zillion skeletons with the Carstein Ring. xD

That Wight King looked nice, although Forge World chuck stuff out randomly in my experience; it rarely means that the army will be reviewed soon.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I'm not saying it's definitely the way it's going to be, and I'm certainly not saying that's how I want it to be, I'm just saying it's something you should be prepared for as a possibility.

Lack of spamming wouldn't be too bad, so long as it's a signature spell so you can still try it once per magic phase per caster, and as long as there are augments that let you restore more wounds to more units per casting (for instance, if SUH were rolled into Invocation as an augment)

Spamming seems like the kind of wonky magic lore special rules they've been dropping from other armies lately. On the other hand, it's something we've had since the before time, so maybe they'll work it in somehow. Maybe as a lore attribute? I don't know.

Lack of character healing seems likely (again, looking at Kings), and I have very little idea what they could do about that to keep melee vamp generals viable. Hopefully if they do stop character healing, they'll see this problem coming and do something to fix it. It would be a pretty obvious issue, after all.

Again, all I'm saying is that we should try not to count on anything in particular. Look at the new book, when and if it comes out, as its own thing.

ps, Beethoven is pants, Bach all the way. :tongue:

Uziel

Vargheist
Aug 29, 2011
I don't mind if they take away the ability to raise units of skeletons to beyond their original size (assuming they are made cheaper and better in the first place). It would be a shame if they removed the ability to raise new zombie units etc however, as that is so strongly supported in nearly all the VC fluff. It is basically one of our main tactical options.

Regarding the vampires themselves, I'd like to see them get the ability to heal (maximum of 1 wound eafter each cc phase though)by killing models in close combat and drinking their blood, instead of using magic. It would certainly make me feel like I was fielding an actual vampire, and not just a fighter/wizard combo of a character. The "quick fix" magic healing on the vampires themselves have always been terribly unfluffy as well...

SoulSeeker

Ghoul
Dec 2, 2010
With the recent release of the terrorgheist, it doesn't seem like there is lots of scope for new units. I am undecided on the golem thing, I hope it fits the theme, but always think of wolves and bats rather than frankenstein type things. Apart from the points on the core units being a bit high, I quite like the current book set up and so am not crying out for changes.

I am just starting my fourth or fifth VC army so I should be really excited about the prospect. However, the recent disneyfication of the OK book has me worried that the same might happen to VC. Hope not. :Vampire1:

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2010
Plymouth
Gah, why does the prospect of this rear its head just when I start DE? :swear: Still, its just a rumour at the moment. Also Vampuary? Next Novampber would be a better month silly name wise.

Oct 4, 2011
Nikostratus said:
Gah, why does the prospect of this rear its head just when I start DE? :swear: Still, its just a rumour at the moment. Also Vampuary? Next Novampber would be a better month silly name wise.

Well, if it was released in Vampuary, wouldn't that mean that next month would indeed be NOvampber?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
As far as vampires healing through a cc blood drinking thing goes, we've been looking for something like that forever. If it does ever go down, it'll be a whole round thing I'm sure. The vampire can make one attack only and if it wounds he gets to drink and gain the wound. There's precedent for something like that in other Lord special attacks, I believe. Not the gain a wound thing specifically, but the move taking a whole round I mean.

Smacula

Zombie
Sep 24, 2011
DC
I honestly don't think that summoning will be nerfed that badly, if at all. It is one of the primary mechanics that differentiates the VC from TK. In theory it seems that TK units were designed to stand on their own bit better, while they are supported by fast moving units (chariots, snakes), semi reliable shooting, and units with a lot of damage potential like tomb guard and the casket. I think they will still want to keep vampires as a potentially large shambling horde army that wears you down with numbers, you know, quantity has a quality all it's own. That is why we won't get any type of shooting or war machines. I agree that we don't need a huge overhaul, though addressing the crumbling/steadfast issue would be nice.

Ohris

Ghoul
Aug 24, 2010
Adam_Barrow said:
As far as vampires healing through a cc blood drinking thing goes, we've been looking for something like that forever. If it does ever go down, it'll be a whole round thing I'm sure. The vampire can make one attack only and if it wounds he gets to drink and gain the wound. There's precedent for something like that in other Lord special attacks, I believe. Not the gain a wound thing specifically, but the move taking a whole round I mean.

How about a rule that whenever a vampire kills a hero or lord in a duel, they gain full health? Just gaining one wound by sacrificing all your attacks is too weak when U can just heal him more easily with magic...

Maybe some sort of killing blow (or heroic killing blow) and blood drain for the vampire but only one attack... I quess that is the wight kings domain though...

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
How about magic Items? I dont think there is a hard 8 cap, but a similar small number would be likely.
I would expect us to keep blood drinker (unless a new power/special rule based on it replaces it)
I dont think well keep flayed hauberk, as it already pretty much exists in the BRB. I think any item that is too similar to BRB items are out.
I do think it is likely we would keep the crown of the damned, the dreadlance, the helm of commandment, wristbands of black gold, and perhaps a bound power item or two.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319999

-Some kind of undead rider confirmed. Could be black knights, could be some new mounted unit.
-Flesh golems like a cross between ghoul and zombie all stitched up, monstrous infantry, can do something that no monstrous infantry can do yet. (Suggests their bodyshape will be kinda hunched over/hulking? Definatly rules out them being zombie ogres.)
-VC article/new models were a stopgap previous to a new book, just like the blood angel and sisters of battle stuff was.

Dan Lawrence

Zombie
Sep 17, 2011
Worth noting, for those doubting the rumours, that it has now become very difficult to obtain a Vampire Count's Battalion box at any web store that isn't GW. I bought a box just last month after comparing the prices on a bunch of different stores, now I can't find it at Maelstrom or Dark Sphere. Suggests to me that they are going to change something in the big box, perhaps the new dual use Black Coach instead of the corpse cart? Though I'd love if it was new zombies instead.

Pretty excited about this, even though I just shelled out for the last army book :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu