• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Oh, nostalgia... (5th edition Warhammer)

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Growing up I used to look and read through my older brother's 5th edition Warhammer rulebook and compared to the later releases it was full of comedic cartoons to go with the rules. Looking back Warhammer simply had a different feel back in the 90's. Some good examples can be seen here, albeit at low quality: [link removed due to copyright reasons, my mistake]

Go to page 67/116 for the slayer routing the goblins and 73/116 for the dragon. Note the guy with the shield in the last one. The rest of the book has a ton more like these. I just love it.

If there's something I'd really like to do with Warhammer these days it would be to find a group to play through a 5th edition multiplayer campaign with.

Last edited:
This really was back in the days when G.W had a sense of fun, although the game was serious, they were never afraid to have a laugh at the same time.. I loved 5th ed, I've always said that it was the best version; SURE it was also the age of HEROHAMMER!! but the game itself was a really nice system.. Even for Orcs and Goblins!!

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
When I wrote the opening post I was just having a teary-eyed moment reminiscing about my childhood but as fate would have it I've actually found a group of 3 others who will be starting up a campaign of 5th edition with me. We'll be using the territorial campaign rules found in the battle book, starting at 600 points and growing from there. To celebrate this special occasion I'll see if I can muster enough energy to get a continuous campaign report going here on CN. We'll have our first meeting this week to go through rules and stuff, but I'm not entirely sure when the campaign will actually commence.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@MasterSpark: I'm glad to hear that you've found some to game with :)

Would very much like to know how it goes so please, do muster that energy ;)