• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Overkill with mounts in challenges

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Happy Holidays everyone,

If in a challenge, if you have a Vampire mounted on a winged nightmare, and your vampire kills the challenged model, can your WN continue attacking to rack up the overkill bonus to +5? Or is the model 'dead' after the vampire attacks? Because the model can't attack back, I'm assuming it's dead and you can't get any attacks from your mount if it's already dead.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Bit of a grey area... unless the Vampire and Winged Nightmare charged that turn (in which case both parts of the model strike at the same time), then you should play it by initiative order, in which case the Winged Nightmare will not get to attack. Most people seem to let steeds get their overkill in anyway, although they're probably not considering monsters when they let them go through!

We had this come up last time I played my opponent for tonight and he said he doesn't roll them, so as long as you're consistent, it's all good.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Its extremely important for VC as combat res can mean losing wounds or not (especially with ranks, a standard, etc, etc). If you have a vamp lord/count on a winged nightmare, you could potentially take a block of infantry head on, as long as in the first challenges you can max out your overkill so that ranks and a standard don't overcome you. After that, just chopping through the front couple of ranks would allow you to win CR and eventually the unit would flee.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Well as I said when charging both mount and steed attack at the same time so you can use each's full allocation of attacks in such a challenge.

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Not sure if that is quite right, EVC. I agree that both mount and rider will 'strike first', therefore ahead of the hapless victim, but in the section on monstrous mounts in combat (P60 of the brb) it states that that the mount and rider might strike at different times, dependant on relative initiatives, and that the attacks are worked out normally, one batch for each.

It would seem to imply that the attacks are workd out in initiative order, as normal.