• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Page from one of Nagash's books

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi All
In Inheritance by Steven Saville, Vlad reads out a page from one of Nagash's books in order to summon the dead. Im turning the book into a script and just curious how people think that incantation might sound because I genuinely havent got a clue, any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
That's an area where you have to use your imagination I guess. People usually use Latin of some kind for their 'generic evil incantations' though.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
You should find a poem or some such thing and just type it into google translator English->Latin. Just make sure no one there speaks Latin or they'll think you're a total moron:lol:

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I dont think I have to worry about people at university of sunderland speaking latin, Ill have a look on the www but does anyone know any poems or such that could be used?

Also Vlads signet ring I cant find a description of it in my notes and it will take forever to find a descriptive reference in the book can anyone tell me what it look like?

Thanks

Maybe you should try coptic or ancient egyptian considering Nagash wrote in Nehekharan mixed with Druchii speech.

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
I have the Liber Necris in front of me on the computer, and there is actually a page that 'Mannfred translated in modern Reikspiel', AKA English. It's not an incantation, but I can send you a picture/post one here if you want?

~M

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
I would go for something more egyptian too, or failing that, there is the ever useful lorem ipsum, which is used on default webdesigns to show where context would be placed without actually placing anyhting there so as to not draw attention away from the web-design itself. Some of it can sound pretty sinister, though it does have it's root in latin. http://www.lipsum.com

As much as possible, I'd say add in non-English sounds, so hissing Ks, clicks and similar will all help to make it sound foreign. And if you want it to sound particularly worrying (and can do it) use a light death growl, perhaps slipping into it midway through the incantation.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Problem if you start making weird clicks and chesty rattles there is a chance that someone will end up hammering you on the back thinking that you're choking :D

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
If you wanted you could use Olde English for most of it, then have Latin as essentially "Power-phrases", representing the crux-points for those areas.

... and as long as these power-phrases aren't too numerous and not overly complicated in English, I wouldn't mind translating one or two into Latin for you, so that anybody who has even the most basic grasp of Latin doesn't shoot you on the spot for a Google Latin translation. Of all the languages that exist, Latin is the one Google could muck up the most. I'd be genuinely surprised if it got a single word right. xD

EDIT: Also, with Carpe Noctem itself being Latin, I could sneak that in somewhere. :thumbsup: Entirely up to you, of course.

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
It's nothing really interesting, as far as I can tell, but I'll put it on photobucket and link it, in a few minutes

EDIT: Here's the link :-