• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Painting by the rules?

Hey guys, vampirism newbie here!

I've been painting 40k for a few years, but a vampire counts army has always been my dream. I'm focusing on an army with a paint scheme similar to the malignants, and I was wondering if after spraying skeletons white they need to be done over in bone before the wash? I have alot of skeletons to paint and am keen to avoid undue layers of paint to mask the detail.
cheers guys :)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
It's mostly a matter of colour - adding that bone layer would slightly change the final shade your skellies would have. Pure white with black shade gives really clean skeletons, while bone base with a brown shade would make a dustier one ;)
Maybe normal painted layered on the spray paint is more durable, as it's usually done that way, but I'm not sure if that's true - maybe just my purism speaking ;)

All the next questions regarding painting you can post in the Dying to Help section, we are happy to help ;)