• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Painting/Washing White Fur

Vipoid

Necromancer
A while ago I acquired a couple of werewolf models, and I'm currently attempting to paint them. I was planning for one of them to have white fur... but am having problems painting it. Or, more precisely, washing it.

I want to wash it to bring out the details in the fur, but none of the washes I've used have looked right.

I was just wondering if anyone has used washes on white fur and, if so, which wash(s) did you use?

I thin down space wolf grey (or whatever the new equivalent is) for this kind of thing. I think almost all standard washes would be to dark for this sort of thing...

Vipoid

Necromancer
Siegfried290 said:
I thin down space wolf grey (or whatever the new equivalent is) for this kind of thing. I think almost all standard washes would be to dark for this sort of thing...
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

SotF

Grave Guard
Actually, the werewolf I painted was one that I started from black primer, then you do a grey over the fur while simultaneously working on the non-fur parts such as the palms, claws, lips, and such.

Now, I kind of started with the thought of the polar bear where their skin is black with the fur working from there, same thing with different layers of grey to white, working your way up. When done, an extremely thin yellow-brown wash for the stained fur.

For my white fur I base coat in bleached bone, do a 50/50 bb/skull white (leaving the recesses alone) and then straight skull white to pick out the fur detail. I've found this works better than washes (and I love washes ;)

Good luck!