• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Pirate Vampire Lord painting scheme

Hello everyone!

For the past few months, I've been working on some vampire lord models. I've painted all of them in the Blood Knight way, so red armour and gold for extra details. In addition to that, I also used a lot of blues for the cloaks and capes and everything. I really like this painting scheme, but as of late I've been thinking about making a new "type" of vampire family, a pirate vampire family :)

For this family I'd really like to use a totally different type of painting scheme. I want the Pirate Vampires to look a lot more grim and dark than the "Blood Knight" vampires I've been painting lately. I'd also really love to use blue or even teel colours on the models (even if that's only so I can finally use my Nihilakh Oxide). But as of yet, I haven't found anything that really works. Does anyone have any tips for a painting scheme like this?

Thanks in advance to everyone reading and reacting to this!

@DocteurQui If you get an image or two of some of the minis you'd like to paint I'd be happy to wrack my brains and throw some ideas your way :)
Thank you so much for your reaction! The miniatures have not yet arrived, but these are the ones that I'm planning on using for the pirate army.

For the Vampire Lord itself:
(the first pic)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.tinypic.com%2Fr%2F2qsb2gm%2F9&hash=ac0713b49bc02c1b4f381e607f0db79e

For the female Vampire Lord, probably gonna use one of the first three miniatures and convert them a bit to make them look more vampire-like:

(the second pic)
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.tinypic.com%2Fr%2F34yuqvk%2F9&hash=b11f4695255fb30be453c515c22b5d69

The miniatures I'm planning to use as Wight Kings (also probably gonna convert these a bit to make them look more like actual GW Wight Kings), these are admittedly not Vampire Lords, but I would really like to use the same colour palette over the whole army:
(the third pic)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.tinypic.com%2Fr%2F152goqv%2F9&hash=87b0ec127078a6a830354b152c123570

For the basic infantry (going to convert these GW skeletons as well to make sure they actually look like pirates xD)
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.tinypic.com%2Fr%2Fnh0xw9%2F9&hash=50f5940eb08ab0ebd5739871da607148

(the forth pic)

Really looking forward to what you're thinking about it! Thanks in advance for your time!

Edit: sorry for the terrible image attachments, really not sure how to do this well

Attachments

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I like your choices of miniatures that you're intending to use.

If I were painting pirate undead I'd definitely include black, brown, beige & white in the army, using them in different ways (some striped clothing but mostly plain) since pirates don't generally wear anything too uniform and look kinda rag-tag.

Then to save them looking too plain I'd use the blue/teal quite sparingly but making sure that the majority/all of the minis have it in some way to unite them. You could use this as patterns on clothing or paint bandanas/sashes in this colour. Google image search 'pirate' and basically swap out the common red for your teal/blue that you plan to use :)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I like your choices of miniatures that you're intending to use.

If I were painting pirate undead I'd definitely include black, brown, beige & white in the army, using them in different ways (some striped clothing but mostly plain) since pirates don't generally wear anything too uniform and look kinda rag-tag.

Then to save them looking too plain I'd use the blue/teal quite sparingly but making sure that the majority/all of the minis have it in some way to unite them. You could use this as patterns on clothing or paint bandanas/sashes in this colour. Google image search 'pirate' and basically swap out the common red for your teal/blue that you plan to use :)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Ohhh that sounds really good! Really looking forward to trying this scheme. Do you by any chance have any tips on the Vampire Lord's armour? Atm I'm considering very dark blue/black with blue edge highlighting.

Btw guys, do you think the fact that some of the minis I'm planning on using have guns in their hands will become a problem with other players of the game? Do you think people will make a fuss over these minis having guns in their hands but not using them as missile weapons, but rather (in case of the wight kings) using them as wight blades?

I could of course try to change the weapons they're using with greenstuff and everything, but I don't really know if I'd be able to make it all look natural after that. Do you have any tips on that?

Thank you so much!!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@DocteurQui It really depends on who are you playing with. Some people will get bitchy if they see anything less than official models. Thankfully they are the minority, most players would be okay if you tell them beforehand what are your minis supposed to represent. You can even think of some fluff explanation for this, like 'wights are really close-sighted, they shoot only if they have something in a point-blank range - and something like this is roughly equivalent to using wight blades'.

@DocteurQui It really depends on who are you playing with. Some people will get bitchy if they see anything less than official models. Thankfully they are the minority, most players would be okay if you tell them beforehand what are your minis supposed to represent. You can even think of some fluff explanation for this, like 'wights are really close-sighted, they shoot only if they have something in a point-blank range - and something like this is roughly equivalent to using wight blades'.
That sounds like a pretty fun idea, just having some weird-ish reasoning on why the models are using certain weapons instead of others, I will quite probably do that xD

Thanks!

Sharkbelly

Crypt Horror
It should be fine. A cool army usually is more important than WYSIWYG, especially if you are up front about the differences.

Get your filthy voodoo magic using LeChuck away from this thread! Only ones who serve the Great Necromancer will be allowed acces!

Be gone, thee heretic! Before His servants take and keelhaul thee!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
xD

This reminds me of evil ash by Bob Olley, he will take the command position in my last zombie unit ;)

Last edited:
xD

This reminds me of evil ash by Bob Olley, he will take the command position in my last zombie unit ;)
Hahahhaha seems like a cool idea, which version of him are you making (after doing some google "research" I saw there were two quite distinct forms of this Evil Ash, one with a still quite human like face, and another one that looked more like a zombie)?