• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Place of a vampire general

Agifem

Skeleton
Hi all. In general, i'm not the kind to ask question, as i consider myself a rather good player. But here, i face a pretty critical question : Where should i place my general ?

I'm pretty sure the question has come to many of us. Here, i'm talking about a pretty wide-spread kind of army (2000 points) : a vampire count or lord, in an army with a block of grave guards or black knights, 20-25 skeletons/zombies, a necrobunker, and some light troops around (wolves, ghouls, bats, banshees, etc.). I'm of course talking about a vampire on foot or horse.

I've tried the vampire with the knights, and it has backfired on me. I've tried the vampire with the skeletons, and the enemy charged right on me. I'm not sure where my vampire should be. I play necrarch by the way.

Agifem said:
Hi all. In general, i'm not the kind to ask question, as i consider myself a rather good player. But here, i face a pretty critical question : Where should i place my general ?

I'm pretty sure the question has come to many of us. Here, i'm talking about a pretty wide-spread kind of army (2000 points) : a vampire count or lord, in an army with a block of grave guards or black knights, 20-25 skeletons/zombies, a necrobunker, and some light troops around (wolves, ghouls, bats, banshees, etc.). I'm of course talking about a vampire on foot or horse.

I've tried the vampire with the knights, and it has backfired on me. I've tried the vampire with the skeletons, and the enemy charged right on me. I'm not sure where my vampire should be. I play necrarch by the way.
Wherever he is not in danger of getting killed, and he can yeild maximum of his power to your army troops.

Falahk

Grave Guard
normaly in a big block of skelletons in the middel of my army, that is ofcorse if i dont use a flying monster(and i dont use flying mosters often with my VC), if the Vamp benefit in some way from a steed(possible if i ever play blood dragons)....i will probebly still stick him in the skellies

I tend to put my usual general, a BD count, in a unit of black knights (minimum 8) with his thrall BSB. There have been times when I lost him though, due to being flanked and destroyed by CR, other times by a cannonball. But he survives usually ;-)

Agifem

Skeleton
Veland said:
I tend to put my usual general, a BD count, in a unit of black knights (minimum 8) with his thrall BSB. There have been times when I lost him though, due to being flanked and destroyed by CR, other times by a cannonball. But he survives usually ;-)
I did a similar thing : my necrarch countess in the middle of 10 black knights (full command, barding, banner of barrows). I charged the flank of 20 black orks and nicely slaughtered them. But then, 30 goblins made their fear roll and charged the flank of my unit. Within 3 rounds of close combat, my general was dust, and it cost me the battle.

Like has been said, she has to be in a place where she can use her offensive power, but without being in danger. Where would that be ?

Maybe you can keep her inside the Skeleton unit, and have it close to the Necrobunker? If you see the scary Knights approaching, you can just leave the unit and jump to some safer spot (Preferrably behind the Skeletons so you can keep raising them).

Richie

Necromancer
With my strigoi I usually shove my thralls and lords in large zombie and skeleton units.

I do this because I can summon more of each (in a grave guard unit I can replace lost minis leaving him a bit too vulnerable) I usually shove both of them in the corner of the front rank (but not always) so he can attack both from a flank charge and frontal charge (assuming I get charged on that side)

Dont put your general in a block of Grave Guard or Black Knights it just makes him and the unit a bigger target for enemy missle fire, pref put him in a block of Zombies or skeletons.

- Maxim

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I won a local tournament with a mounted Necrarch. Geoff Porrit won the UK GT -03 with the same 2000 point list, and made it to 3rd place the year after. What I'm saying is that the placement isn't the all deciding factor, it's more about how you use your army, and to have a plan.

If you stick your Necrarch into BK's or the front of a unit that will be fighting, you'd better kit him to survive a fight. If not, throw him into the necro bunker. Sometimes it depends on what your opponent deploys on the other side, and how you can divert hard hitters. A vampire should be able to handle most rank and file models.