• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Prince Vhordrai

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Wanted to get other peoples opinions on him, I've used him once and am including him in a 2.5k game in a couple of weeks.
I don't have him as the general, mostly so my vampire lord can buff morghasts but Vhordrai is a beast. The rend advantage over a normal vlozd and breath of shyish seem well worth the extra points. In my first game he wiped out a tree lord, 15 dryads and 20 fyreslayers (can't remember what their normal unit is called) and after all that almost took out a treelord ancient but I didn't win the roll off for the turn both were on very few wounds by then. No new model but a great addition to the ranks.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
He's good. As you say, extra rend and better breath weapon make him worth the extra points. The only legion I wouldn't take him in is sacrament, since the shroud of darkness or wristbands of black gold are too good to pass up, so you'd be better off with a normal VLoZD there.

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Alternatively, you may want to use him in a Soulblight army, to be able to use the Dragon Warriors Battle Trait.

It may not seem like much, but unlike the Legion of Blood, he can be buffed as such. Plus Soulblight is the one Allegiance that can use a Lore of the Dead, although you'd have no Gravesites. While speaking of Soulblight, maybe try Mist Form on your general, to charge tactically each turn! has great synergy with Dragon Warriors and you're very hard to pin down in unfavourable combats (maybe another V. Lord on a Zombie Dragon with his Deathlance)

Aaaand to boot, get some Nighthaunt allies, and see what happens (Mourngul?/Hexwraiths?). Or Deathrattle with that Wight King battalion. From the Soulblight artefacts, the Saccharine Goblet should work wonders along Mist Form -> Dragon Warriors.

---------------------------------

I'm also thinking, if you want a Coven Throne to be the army general, Tactical Insight should work well with the Prince, re-rolling 1's is a nice combo, this in any Legion army, even better if you'd want to bait stuff with him and Soulpike.

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Okay so the list I've been using with Vhordrai is as follows

Vhordrai
Knight of shrouds
Vampire lord x2
Necromancer
Cairn wraith
10 dire wolves
40 skegs
20 skegs
5 hexwraiths
2 morghasts
Just shy of 2k
Take the grand legion of nagash, morghasts get +1 attack keep a vampire lord near them and use blood feast every turn for another +1 attack and morghasts become good you'd also want that vampire to know vile transference as that the only way you can heal morghasts. Vhordrai is brilliant if you can get him into combat first turn; amythistine pinions helps with this, but I've found he provides such a good distraction that people forget your 2 morghasts are getting 5 attacks at -2 rend and 3 damage. I mostly play quite chilled games so this list probably isn't tournament worthy but it's pretty good otherwise with a nice mixture of units.
PS. Vhordrai is never the general as you won't get the 5 attacks with the morghasts

Nice list. I actually think what you doing with the Morghasts is quiet nasty. The best general for death at adepticon list was.
Nagash
Necromancer
40x skellies
40x skellies
30x graveguard
10x skellies.

So i was thinking if i merged the two lists i'd get something like this

Vhordrai
Vampire lord
Necromancer
40 skegs
40 skegs
30 graveguard
2 morghasts

How does that sound to you?

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Personally I'd take another unit of grave guard instead of the skegs. as they're battle line too in grand host of nagash. But I'll try that list out for sure :)