• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Problem with glue & Goblins

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
Since I got the Hobby Starter Set, I finally decided to assemble the regiment of Goblins that I have had since 2004 :lol:

The problem is that when I have applied the glue, it goes all sticky. Like when I have glued a body to legs, heads, etc. Sometimes it sets, but is knocked off while it is still sticky.

Any reasons why this could be happening?

Aeschere

Grave Guard
Get better glue, leave them to dry abit longer, use less glue, maybe your mini's have started to dissolve into zombies for laying around that long? ;-)

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
Get better glue, leave them to dry abit longer, use less glue, maybe your mini's have started to dissolve into zombies for laying around that long? ;-)
I might be using a tad too much glue, but I'll have to check.

Heh, they haven't been out of the box up until now for more than 50 seconds...:rolleyes:

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I have that sometimes,just leave it for a bit and check if the join is stable,not corners.+GS does it all!!!

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
One thing you shouldn'd do is eat the glue.
I found that out the hard way

Actually, eat as much of the glue as you can spare if it won't stick the gobbos together.
It would be really funny.
For us, anyway

One thing that gets models to stick good is leaving them propped up against something like a paint pot, in the pose you want them to be in. Leave them over night, and check on 'em in the morning. Also, never try to glue too many things on at once.

If that doesn't work, switch to the night gobbos from the battle of skull pass box, as you don't have to glue 'em!!! Really handy, and you get a unit of 40 with spears, and 20 with bows. Thats the only reason that I have any night gobbos in the first place!

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The Dark Lord has a point, sometimes its best to simply leave a model leaning and let the glue set, its the only way I managed to get my Zombie Dragon together!

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
One thing you shouldn'd do is eat the glue.
I found that out the hard way

Actually, eat as much of the glue as you can spare if it won't stick the gobbos together.
It would be really funny.
For us, anyway

One thing that gets models to stick good is leaving them propped up against something like a paint pot, in the pose you want them to be in. Leave them over night, and check on 'em in the morning. Also, never try to glue too many things on at once.

If that doesn't work, switch to the night gobbos from the battle of skull pass box, as you don't have to glue 'em!!! Really handy, and you get a unit of 40 with spears, and 20 with bows. Thats the only reason that I have any night gobbos in the first place!
I have never actually tried to eat glue, so I don't think that I am in danger of doing that. Yet :rolleyes:

It looks like I will leave them propped up against something. And I don't try and glue to many things at once, after that first time I stuck a model together. Let's just say that Goblin was never the same again.

And I have named him: Bob.

I want a common Goblin army, not a Night Goblin army, which is what a lot of Goblin players go for.

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
But the sneaky bitz!!!!!
Ah well, the night gobbos don't want you!
You could always pin them together if they refuse to stick at all, ya know... with a hole borer and some wire? I only use it for metal models, which it takes far too long at, but is worth it in the end. Meh, you do the maths... 2 Holes + narrow wire + glue on the wire=???

I'm telling you, don't knock the glue til you try it.
I have 4 shots every morning, because I prefer it to actual food. I think I have a serious problem... I better ask Bob for his opinion.

Bob, what do you think?

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Ok, pinning every gobbo is a bit extreme, but have you got a better solution?
Hmmm?

And, yes. To me bob is real...
At least, in my heart...

:)*chortle*

My friend used to have the same problem, but that is where i came in :mrgreen:

There is a product (that I use) called Insta-set, this thing will save you so much time and make gluing stuff so easy! Its basically an accelerator that makes the glue 'dry' extremely fast!!! I also use thick glue. For me the thicker the better, if you use real runny stuff its easy to get on your hand and that just doesn't float my boat, espesh when you spray the model and you don't know you have that glue on your thumb!)

What you do is...
glue one part of the figure > spray the other part w/ accelerator> hold the figure how you like it > model is dry in 3 seconds

(you could glue it hold it in your hand and spray but i like other way personally)

I would think most hobby stores would/should have something similar but here is a website of the product i use.
http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=products&specific=jmrqnqcqg

hope this helps, if you do use an accelerator already then nvm what i've said because i'm sure you already know how great it is :) I don't put things together unless i have it,, makes life so easy!

(WORD OF WARNING, if you are using accelerators and you have glue on your hand and it gets sprayed, yes your thumb will get glued to the piece and chances are it will burn some :) lol - and when you peal it off your thumb (glue) it can rip your skin so watch the amount of glue you are putting on the model)
- I should also add, that you may think it will melt the model, nope, i've never had a model melt or become disfigured because of using this stuff. You can seriously glue a figure, and less then 1 min later start painting it if you want! - works on plastics and metals - btw i've never pinned one thing in my collection and the only thing i've had bust is a zombie dragon that flew off the table :)

puggimer

Grave Guard
I've seen it marketed as "ZipKick" in the US. It is a super glue accelerant. While it works, it also makes the glue weaker - I've had some thing come apart after time using it.

For plastic I still think the plastic glue (like for model airplanes) is better - it actually melts the pieces together and they don't come apart.

As for pinning - always recommended, especially for any larger metal pieces, and often for all metal pieces. To speed it up I have a variable speed dremel tool (use the slowest speed). GF9 also makes a really nice pin vice and bit/rod set - two bits and brass rod that matches in diameter.

The right tool for the right job.

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
My friend has another way of making glue dry faster, but onoe of you will approve.
He says he spits a little bit on the glue! I didn't believe it either, but then I saw the results... a completely stuck together "Galrach", who, without pins, is a massive pain in the brain to stick together. But... he fell on the floor by the end of the week.
Curse You Gravity!!!!

Plain water is an accelerant for super glue. For best results it should be sprayed onto the area through a misting squirt bottle. Don't bother wasting your money on superglue brand accelerators. Remember it was invented to seal wounds. It reacts with the sweat of the victim to form a steady bond.

But since we are talking Goblins and therefore probably plastic glue. Someone really should have asked in the first place: "What type of glue are you using?" You mentioned the hobby starter set which comes with PVA and Polly Cement.

Since I suspect that you are not trying to stick models together with the Wood Glue we can assume you have the citadel Polly Cement, which has good batches and bad ones. Sometimes it's the best and sometimes you would be better of with flour and water...

Small ammounts work best as already mentioned. Make sure also that you are gluing flat to flat, or that the pieces fit together perfectly before glueing.

Put a blob of glue on one side
Place the two together
Pull the two apart
Waite 2 seconds giving the glue time to melt each side
Push the two together and hold tight for up to 5 seconds.

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Oh yes i forgot to mention water.......My superglue was going gummy so i thought i'd put water in it to help.....You know the rest, it died:(:(

Sirihar

Crypt Horror
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sadly I have not actually got any further with the Gobbos, since I have been busy with life.

I will however, try and get some more done. And if I can, I will get some pics up.