• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Quick question about Wind of Death

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
How does it affect units with incomplete ranks? And is there a rules reference to support the way it works? I had an observer to a game the other day tell me that if a unit has 3 full ranks, and one incomplete rank, that the unit will only take 3D6 hits since it only has three ranks. Was this correct? I've always been under the impression that an incomplete rank was still a rank, and this would count for the purposes of Wind of Death.

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
The spell says for each rank not each FULL rank. As soon as they're behind in a rank like fashion it counts. Would you opponent argue that if he reformed to 4 wide he wouldn't get hit at all? A single model still counts as having a rank, just not a full one. The confusion lies in that we almost only rely on ranks for CR purposes, where you need a full rank. That is not how the spell is worded.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
An incomplete rank is still a rank and garners an additional d6 hits. the page reference you are looking for is page 5 under "forming units" paragraph 3 and 4.

"in addition all models in the unit must be arranged in a formation that consists of one or more horizontal lines, called ranks and a number of vertical lines called files."

"As far as possible there must be the same number of models in each rank. where this is not possible it must be the rear rank that has fewer models."

also the FAQ helps with this:

"Q: If a single model or a unit with a single rank is passed over by the
Wind of Death template, is it affected by the spell? (p60)
A: Yes. They will suffer D6 Strength 3 hits with no saves
allowed."

There's also a bunch of other places where the rear rank is referred to as just that, a rank. The spell does not specify complete ranks, merely the number of horizontal lines.

I remember there being a really good example of this somewhere but it seems to have eluded me. I might have referenced it elsewhere on this forum though if anyone is interested in going digging.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
An incomplete rank is still a rank and garners an additional d6 hits. the page reference you are looking for is page 5 under "forming units" paragraph 3 and 4.
This. You can have ranks of 1 model in a formation, it just doesn't count for combat res and things like look out sir.