• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Quotes that mean something to you.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Post quotes that mean something to you :)
I will start.
"Pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding"
-
Khalil Gibran

People are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. People talk about how great love is, but that's bullshit. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing. People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they're afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.
-Jim Morrison

Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all — the apathy of human beings.
-Helen Keller

Apathy is the glove in which evil slips its hand.
-National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Men are only great as they are kind.
-Elbert Hubbard

“There is no such thing as a worthless conversation, provided you know what to
listen for. And questions are the breath of life for a conversation.”
James Nathan Miller.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
I was one of those who had unthinkingly bought into the hectoring myth that science can say nothing about morals. The Moral Landscape has changed all that for me. Moral philosophers, too, will find their world exhilaratingly turned upside down, as they discover a need to learn some neuroscience. As for religion, and the preposterous idea that we need God to be good, nobody wields a sharper bayonet than Sam Harris.
- Richard Dawkins.

It has often and confidently been asserted, that man’s origin can never be known: but ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
- Charles Darwin.

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places — and there are so many — where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.
And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."

- Howard Zinn

"There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people."
- Howard Zinn

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
- Carl Sagan

Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves.
- Carl Sagan

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever."
- Carl Sagan

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Pain is an emotion, and emotions can be controlled.
-Toler Mike Figley, my martial arts instructor.
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Ghandi.
People are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true.

— Zeddicus Zhul Zorander, character in the Sword of Truth.
Before all else, be armed.
-- Niccolo Machiavelli
Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. You are here to realize your inner divinity and manifest your innate enlightenment.
-Morihei Ueshiba
Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?
- Lady MacBeth
After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Intelligence is knowing what to do when you don't know what to do.

I had a couple more, but sadly forgot them and their sources. The above is anon.

EDIT: Dear god Mr Nightwere, my friend is called Nathan Miller. xD That sure surprised me.

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Pain is your friend; it is your ally. Pain reminds you to finish the job and get the hell home. Pain tells you when you have been seriously wounded. And, you know what the best thing about pain is? It tells you you're not dead yet!

- Master Chief John Urgayle

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

- Nora Roberts

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

- Mahatma Gandhi

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Tomorrow will be special. Yesterday was not.

- ZUN

Alright, so it's not an actual quote but instead the title of one of his songs.. but dang - I like it. :thumbsup:

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Something that may apply to the people feeling down here:
"To rest on the road does not end the journey."

and my favourite:
"A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step."

I shall nerd this up with a quote from Captain America talking about patriotism to Spiderman during the marvel civil war ;

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move."

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Before you critiscise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he takes offense, you are a mile away and he doesnt have any shoes.
Not sure who said it, or whether I worded it right, but the meaning is there.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I don't understand how come you're gone, man. I don't understand why half the world is still crying, man, when the other half of the world is still crying too, man, I can't get it together. i
If you got a cat for one day, man I mean, if you, say, say, if you want a cat for 365 days, right you aint got him for 365 days, you got him for one day, man. well I tell you that one da
N, better be your life, man. because, you know, you can say, oh man, you can cry about the other 364, man, but you're gonna lose that one day, man, and that's all youve got. you gotta call that
, man. that's what it is, man. if you got it today you don't want it tomorrow, man, cause you don't need it, cause as a matter of fact, as we discovered in the train, tomorrow never happens, m
Ts all the same fucking day, man.
-Janis Joplin, Ball & Chain

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Janis sure was on a lot of drugs. But I understand what she's trying to say.

"Don't try to fix me. I'm not broken."

"What are you meant to be? A clown or something? Sometimes.."

"It can't rain all the time."

"If stupidity was punishable by death, there would be a hell of a population drop.."

"I've told you once, I"ve told you twice, I've told you a thousand fucking times..."

That last one is the hardest one not to let slip when dealing with the delightful customers that I have to speak to as part of my call centre job....

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Unfortunately I don't have anything as meaningful as the ones quoted above, I've only got the following 3 so far:

"I file everything, therefore I know nothing."

Anon quote, quite applicable to any data entry job really

"The more I learn the less I understand."

Another anon quote, applicable to many education systems around the world.

"Don't tase me bro!"

Self-explanatory.

"Chase the morning. Yield for nothing"
- (as Blind Meg in Repo!) Sarah Brightman

"Great beauty is often perceived by human senses as pain."
— (Father Mansart in Phantom) Susan Kay

"Don't dream it. Be it"
- (As Frank N. Furter) Tim Curry

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
The entirety of the 'Invictus' poem.

'....I am the master of my Fate,
I am the captain of my Soul.'

Yup. Really rings with me.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
"You're sorry... YOU'RE SORRY!?!?!..... does Wayne Brady have to choke a b!tch?"
Wayne Brady.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
"They make it look so easy. Connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it is the hardest thing in the world."
- Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan.

"If i breath, i stand. If i stand, i fight. If i fight, i will never surender to the darkness around me."
Well, duno really. It's the shortend and remade version of Ultramarines Chapter master... i think.