• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Oct 18, 2013
RE: Raven's Nest O' Bones - Update 16.01. - Wight King & 3rd Undead Werewolf

Rather awesome conversion there, also liking the werewolf, got to say the original arm pose seems rather silly so prefer the edit.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Wondrous conversion! :|

This guy could give Krell a run for his money ^^ I'm eager to see how he'll lok painted :)

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia

Thanks for the compliments! =)

Now that I primed him in white, it's quite visible that the greenstuffed chain mail loin cloth differs from the original one, so I'll probably end up greenstuffing over it as well.

Think I'll try painting him tomorrow, have some ideas, hopefully I'll be able to pull them off decently. :)

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Somehow I missed great stuff again! This wight king is awesome, while I have a chaos warrior left over here and still need an unmounted bsb, I might steal me some tipps ;) The werewolf reminds me at my CH converions from a minotaur xD Nicely done!

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
RE: Raven's Nest O' Bones - Update 30.01. - Finished Wight King

Thanks Theerteen. :D

And here is the Wight King finished, finally. Finished the light box as well so tried it out. Will need some tweaking, presumably different bulbs. Tried with different backgrounds, but not 100% happy with colours on either set of the photos so I'm posting both. Gotta say this was a very fun project, both converting and painting wise, and I'm rather pleased with the results. :) Also, big thanks to Mad 'At for lots of painting advice. :thumbsup:

ai1340.photobucket.com_albums_o733_RTWH0717_WightKing_resize_zps210e5ab2.jpg

ai1340.photobucket.com_albums_o733_RTWH0717_Front_backwhitebackground_resize_zps0bfa8d5f.jpg

ai1340.photobucket.com_albums_o733_RTWH0717_Left_Rightwhitebackground_resize_zps87422d83.jpg

ai1340.photobucket.com_albums_o733_RTWH0717_Front_backblackbackground_resize_zps356e7aa9.jpg

ai1340.photobucket.com_albums_o733_RTWH0717_Left_Rightblackbackground_resize_zps71f01d51.jpg

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge

Awesome results Raven. It is all so very bright :O

I am very glad to have been of assistants with this fabulous miniature. The armour almost looks like it is glowing from within. Nice work on the axe too, very smooth highlights and great effect.

The only thing that is a bit off is the eyes I would say. They just don't look right. No idea how to make them better though, since I have little experience with OSL. Another colour could have helped to avoid the glow melting together with the armour though.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia

Thanks Mad. :)

Back when I started painting the zombies, I decided that all my zombies would have red eyes, and all my skellies blue glow in eye sockets. When I was about to paint the eyes on this guy, I did consider maybe going with red, 'cause he's a Wight King after all, so to show that he was more menacing that the rest. But decided to keep with the scheme and use blue. If it was red tho, don't think I would even try to show the glow outside the sockets, it would clash with the skull colour too much IMO. Maybe a light green would work...that should be subtle.

Now that I have a Wight King painted like this, and really enjoyed painting both red and turquoise, I'm thinking a full unit of GG with the suiting scheme:

- red robes
- Hawk Turquoise/Sotek Green armour
- golden armour ornaments

How does that sound?

soccergopher

Zombie
Jan 17, 2014

I am really loving the shield there! Also, the light box you're using makes the pictures pretty darn awesome. The latter pictures with the grayish/blueish background look professionally taken imo.

Aug 19, 2013
Kent

Holy moly that's a nice shield!
After a closer inspection I can see the way you painted it was quite simple, but it looks so darn effective!

Your conversions are great! Can't wait to see more of this army!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Whoa! :| Now that's colorful! Not my tastes, but the execution is superb! I like the blending and the red parts look realy 'hot'... and well, the blue parts are frosty cold too. Nice contrast ;) Definitely very, very well done!

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom

I'm at work so i can't check so is that shield a convert or Harry the Hammers shield?
It just rings a bell.

Model is looking great, mor so the faces painted in with fire effect over the weapon and shield itslef, really helps to set the model off! :thumbsup:

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia

Thanks everyone! =)

@soccergopher: Yup, the photos are pretty good...but there's still room for improvement. Still had to use camera flash to get enough visibility, should probably try to position the miniature higher (closer to the top lamp). Here are some good tutorials on miniature photography that I followed ---> LINK 1, LINK 2 :thumbsup:

@Lord Coenraad Vonn Forongkry: Aye, improvised with those, and very happy with how it turned out. ;)

@Count Vashra: Will do. :)

@Borgnine: Haha, yeah...I'm a fan of stark highlights. xD

@Duke Danse Macabre: It's a conversion, photo and description here ---> https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Raven-s-Nest-O-Bones-Update-30-01-Finished-Wight-King?pid=383217#pid383217 ;) I seem to have a thing for the faces motif, both in painting and converting...might make it army wide. :P

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
After more than a year, my Zombie Dragon is finally finished. It is my most ambitious project to date. Had a few hiatuses, obligations slowed it down, but I managed to find some free time and motivation lately. It was a very fun project with lots of exploring and different stages...I like to call it "an exercise in technical solutions".

Onto the miniature itself - the very idea of making a custom ZD came from the head parts. I had the Trygon head and an old dragon head lying around, and when I realized just how well they fit together, I just had to make a full dragon out of it. Ideas overwhelmed my mind, and I wanted something really ambitious and dramatic.

The miniature (a small diorama kinda) shows a Vampire Lord resurrecting a fallen dragon above a lava lake...so they kinda switched places...the "rider" is on foot...while the dragon is being brought to life.

Some technical details:

- the cliff is a plaster casting filled with parts of lead. It serves as a counterweight for the dragon. Had to make a concrete mould in which the plaster was poured.

- wanted a big hole on the torso so had to widen the body itself...used a DE Black Dragon one, but stretched it a bit with pins and green stuff

- used Balrog wings, which had to be cut and rebuilt to get a dynamic pose. Attaching them in their regular form just wouldn't fit the overall feel of the miniature.

- combined green stuff castings and manual green stuffing to make the neck and the torso-tail connection.

- the lava is a combination of green stuff, cork and water effects (might add some more water effects)

Obviously, making sure it all stands was a whole lotta fun. XD I am very happy that it is indeed working in the end, cause I couldn't be sure if it would, once finished, function as I imagined.

I also have loads of WIP photos, some of which I will probably be posting.

Onto the pictures, C&C appreciated!

DSC07212_resize_zps9988926a.jpg~original

DSC07228_resize_zpsf3684dbe.jpg~original

DSC07238_resize_zps3f2e696c.jpg~original

DSC07214_resize_zps97e08692.jpg~original

Head_resize_zps38655fcc.jpg~original

Front-Back_resize_zpsb725efea.jpg~original
TailampSkulls_resize_zps8b194957.jpg~original

Wings_resize_zpsec1e9f9b.jpg~original

VampireLord_resize_zpsfeba8d40.jpg~original

The trio is now complete:

DSC07400_resize_zpsb4a2ca5e.jpg~original

Reactions: Angie

Kutslo

Skeleton
Aug 14, 2013
Amazing is the only word that comes to mind! :thumbsup:

That is one awesome looking scene, can't wait to see it painted.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Congratulations! That is one extremely awesome ZD. Love the idea :thumbsup:

Is there a steel pin where the dragon joins to the vampires hand? Would hate to see it break as it looks like a thin join. When can we expect to see some paint on it?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
OMFG, awesome! Now that's an extensive piece of converting ;) I am getting ready to remake a DE dragon into a ZD, so that's inspiring - I like the hole in the middle and of course - the 'summoning' effect :thumbsup: Some things I find awkward, especially how the big head is joined with the relatively thin neck, but overall it's great and realy awe-inspiring, must be an impressive sight to see in person.

And as robtion already said - only one tiny little pin to hold the enormous base and the large dragon together? That's bold xD Maybe it's a really hard pin ;) Other than that I think it would be a logistical nightmare to transport it, but the effect of finally putting it on the table and seeing your opponent's face must be worth it :thumbsup:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu