• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011
As was already mentioned several times - Amazing conversion! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see it painted :)

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Thank you people!

@ robtion & Borgnine:

It is indeed a steel pin. A steel bicycle spoke to be precise. Well, two of them in fact, connected with a spoke nipple. :perv: I think spoke is one of the best things I could have used for the cause, as it is thin and very strong. It is also ductile which prevents it from brittle fracture. First I had to bend the pin/spoke in a desired shape (the one that would fit through the body of the CSM used as the Vampire Lord). So I carved a channel through the torso and the leg of the CSM (that miniature, coming in two parts, was perfect for the job) and bent the spoke to fit in. Oooh, that was fun...as said, steel is very hard. xD. Here is a photo to show what I mean:

VLord_zps846679cd.jpg~original

With the spoke bent in shape, I then applied it to the concrete mold made for the plaster cliff. Once the spoke was in position, the plaster was poured around it (with added bits of lead to make it heavier) and the spoke was set in place.

DSC06047_resize_zps29478e98.jpg~original

The spoke was only long enough to pin the tail part...luckily, as spokes come in pairs, they have a connection mechanism (threads & nipples). So I took another spoke, which goes through the body and all the way to the head. They are then screwed on together at the tail/body connection part. Also had to make sure that the body was facing correct direction once it was totally screwed on.

Body_zps8bebb0ac.jpg~original

So, that's pretty much how it works...and I can only hope it will continue to work and withstand the perils of time & battlefield! ;)

Regarding the painting...well, I don't think it will be anytime soon. I am a slooooow painter, and I'd also like to practice painting on the chaff units before moving on to the big projects like this. Although I could paint it to a standard to which my Wight King is painted, and I think that would look rather nice...but still...wouldn't want to rush it. ;)

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Nice one. Looks very solid, I'm sure it will hold up well as long as you don't drop it :swear:

I will keep an eye on your plog and look forward to seeing more painted units, even if it is a slow process (I can relate) :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Putting a pin through all the mini from the base to the head - man, if that's not awesome and brave modelling I don't know what is - badass xD
Definitely worth checking out the new 'like' option ;)

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Apr 7, 2012
Sweden
This is so awesome i cant find words for it.....
Give us more !!!!

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@Raven Torrid Sorry to comment again but you really should consider entering this in the Golden Bat. If that dragon is not an example of some masterful converting then I don't know what is ;)

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Thanks everyone!

Your next one better be even better.

Hahah...how am I supposed to do that? :o But then again, I never thought I'd manage to top my Abyssal Terror either...so, who knows. xD

This is so awesome i cant find words for it.....
Give us more !!!!

More things on the way...but lately I have a tendency of starting several things at once, rather than finishing one. :tongue:

@Raven Torrid Sorry to comment again but you really should consider entering this in the Golden Bat. If that dragon is not an example of some masterful converting then I don't know what is ;)

No worries...I intend to, just didn't yet get to it. xD

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Not sure if I've done any Vampire Counts related work since my last post, but might as well resurrect this old thread of mine in the spirit of the new awakening of CN. 🙂 After WHFB went down, I switched to smaller scale games like GW's Necromunda and Blood Bowl and AMG's Marvel Crisis Protocol. I've done some conversions and panting in said games so will eventually make one log to share all of my stuff that isn't related to WHFB.

In the meantime, here are the newer pictures (and even a gif!) of my old Wight King conversion/paintjob. The photos were made last year and show that you can make a decent setup for photographing miniatures without a big investment. I reckon the photobox, tripod, rotating stand and remote shutter release didn't cost more than 15-20 € combined, and the smartphone isn't high end either.

IMG_20200419_155851_367-2.jpg

IMG_20200419_155851_361-2.jpg

IMG_20200419_155851_362-2.jpg

IMG_20200419_155851_364-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kassill

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Superb paintwork on the Wight King, especially like the magical effect on the axe. Look forward to your other log as well 😁

That picture setup looks great, you should do an article on it!....hint hint 😉

Reactions: Raven Torrid

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Reactions: Disciple of Nagash

Loki Ragnarok

Zombie
Sep 10, 2021
RE: Raven's Nest O' Bones

Abyssal Terror

Have had this in mind for some time, and I'm so happy it's finally done! :happy:
Well, technically there are still a few things to be done (some greenstuffing & improving) including the Lord, but this is basically it. It's in a usable state.
As you can see, I'm a tad megalomanic, but I can't help it. 👅 Yeah, every living (or dead) thing on the table will be able to see it in the shooting phase, but I don't mind.

Some technicalities:

Bits used: Trygon body & Zombie Dragon head + wings
Wing span: approximately 12"
Base used: 60x100 mm monster base (HPA, Screaming Bell...)

Waited for my magnets to arrive (they did today) to do the wings, but they were too heavy in the end, so they got pinned.
The tail is magnetized tho, so I can exchange it for other versions. The wings can be repositioned to a bit more open position, wider span.
Was hoping to make it possible to turn them reversly as well (similar to Terrorgheist), but without the magnets it ain't possible. Oh well.

So, here are the pics, C&C are welcome! ;)

View attachment 49598

View attachment 49599

View attachment 49600 View attachment 49601 View attachment 49602 View attachment 49603

A few size comparisons:

View attachment 49604

View attachment 49605

View attachment 49606

View attachment 49607 View attachment 49608

And some details:

View attachment 49609

View attachment 49610

:cheers:
I flipping love this one. It is amazing.

Also, in general, your stuff is cool, and your wights and harpy bats are also amazing. And your hexwraiths are fun, gives me some sleepy hollow vibes, coming out of the scenery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raven Torrid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu