• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Archamedius

Grave Guard
Jul 25, 2014
Hey,

Has anyone else tried (successfully or otherwise) to model mantic Zombies on alternate bases?

I bought 120 of them only to figure out after they arrived that they are molded to a circular base that slots into a square one. My UL are all on resin bases (that I really like, and I believe have turned out very well so far with my skeletons) and I want to mount the zombies on the same bases.

Yes I understand the rumors exist that fantasy is going to round bases in 9th (A.K.A. middle of this year) but I am for the moment going the way of the ostrich on this and ignoring that rumor.

Regardless the round portion of the base that is molded to the model is fairly thick and I have tried using a file, exacto and sprue cutters to remove it and failed to preserve the model's legs and/or feet on each attempt.

Anyone have any suggestions for removing this portion of the model without damaging the legs of the zombie? A couple of zombies walking around on shortened legs is fine for some flavor in zombies, 120 of them .... not so much.

Thanks all in advance!

BarbariAndy

Zombie
Aug 30, 2013
With models like this is a massive pain.
I just clip around the feet so the have stilts then trim that down to regular size, its dull and time consuming but gets the job done. :tongue:

Agree with Duke; This is the reason I bought a rotary tool. Trim around the feet and grind off the portion of the base below the feet.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Mar 7, 2013
PA, USA
With models like this is a massive pain.
I just clip around the feet so the have stilts then trim that down to regular size, its dull and time consuming but gets the job done. :tongue:
This.

You can cut around the feet so that they have small 'pegs' left attached to them, then drill holes in your other base and slip them in with some glue.

Reactions: Dragonet

Archamedius

Grave Guard
Jul 25, 2014
What I have found is the frailty of the legs of the zombies is what is inhibiting this process. When I try to cut the base off in sections the cutting process often bends the legs away from each other causing the plastic to warp or snap. This is most evident when trying to cut away the plasic part in between the legs of the zombie.

Anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate tool that won't stress the legs out?

Thanks.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I've done this with Mantic skellies, 40 odd so far and only broken a few legs. I used sidecutters to chop away the plastic and then a sharp craft knife to cut the last bits free of the feet. Cut the plastic from between the feet to separate the legs early on, this makes it easier to clean up one foot at a time. Clean up one side of the foot so that the foot itself is resting against the cutting mat as you trim away from the bottom of the foot, this minimizes stress on the leg.

It's tedious and time consuming, but worth it to use the bases you like with models that you can afford!

As for ignoring all rumours of 9th edition, that is the correct response. If they mess it up that badly we will all carry on playing 8th anyway!

Reactions: Dragonet

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Got my mantic grave stalkers in the mail Right this minute and will be going through these motions soon enough. Haven't seen them yet but Have seen plenty of pics, so I'm gonna suggest plastic cutters to cut along the inside of each foot from the front, then the back.

I love the idea of leaving the stumps on as pegs @John Rainbow

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
My experience is on the Space Hulk models which I've rebased onto round resin bases, and Warhammer metal skeleton halberdiers, plastic Swordmasters and Mantic skeletons which I've rebased, mostly onto resin regiment bases for ease of setup and transport and increased durability. I started with the Terminators a few years ago, and I learned early on that you can't just snip down the middle with side cutters because the blade's too fat, they're perfect once you've cut down the middle though, I used a hacksaw for that. Then I just trimmed, or rather almost bent and broke off the bases.
When I moved onto the regimented infantry I'd also realised my Terminators weren't sticking as well as I wanted so I pinned them to the bases, easy to do with those lovely thick legs. On the infantry troops that wasn't going to happen so I left pins on the halberdiers, in some cases leaving quite a lot of the slotta for better grip, I did the same for the Swordmasters but I couldn't rescue enough on the Mantic models so I just filed them flat once I'd broken off enough plastic.
In all cases I actually held the part of the base I wasn't cutting in order to avoid placing any stress on those delicate ankles, and sawed through the middle of the bases before removing plastic from between the feet.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
What I have found is the frailty of the legs of the zombies is what is inhibiting this process. When I try to cut the base off in sections the cutting process often bends the legs away from each other causing the plastic to warp or snap. This is most evident when trying to cut away the plasic part in between the legs of the zombie.

Anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate tool that won't stress the legs out?

Thanks.
Trim the outside with your clipper, then for the space between the feet do it slowly. Don't try to cut it all at once. Cut maybe half of it, or even a third from a side, then go from the other side. Once you get the cut, you can remove smaller chunk from each side and it should reduce the breaking.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
So I got around to trying a decent method to rebase these Mantic guys onto the GW bases and have come up with simple step by step instructions with a few pictures:

1/ Here we have our Mantic Ghoul/Zombie legs fresh off the sprue.
ai57.tinypic.com_jud8ug.jpg

2/ I've drawn some lines here to show you where I'll make cuts with clippers. I put the flat edge of the clippers to the feet.
ai59.tinypic.com_358v2b8.jpg

3/ The cuts have been made and now he's free from the Mantic base and is left with two big chunks on his feet.
ai59.tinypic.com_2hf70x4.jpg

4/ Here he is on his new base. The chunks were filed down with an emery board (a file should work fine too). I left a little bit of plastic remaining to give him a small platform for stability.
ai57.tinypic.com_29w651v.jpg

Hope this guide helped!

Reactions: Shadespyre

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Pictures make the process very clear, well done. I just repeated the exercise with two boxes of Mantic skellies and a few old Grenadier metal ones, too. You can pin almost any model to a base, I recommend a 0.6mm drill and steel dress-making pins, or for tiny plastic Mantic feet a 0.5mm drill and 0.45mm brass rod / wire. But for 9/10 plastic models I just superglue them without additional support.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Shadespyre I've got my first 20 Z's ready for sticking to the base whilst taking a break from painting green orc flesh.

I picked up the grave stalker deal for the tomb stones and to see if Mantic's stuff was any good, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with them (besides the giant gap that needs filling where the body attaches to the legs).

Gonna have to contend with another 40 at some point :o

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu