• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Red Fury Command trait

I want to make sure my interpretation is accuarate.

1. The number of wounds you need to roll under is not referring to damage done, but the unsaved wounds. This does not include those inflicted by a mount.

2. Attacking again is the full complement of the characters attacks, not their mounts.

If that is correct, it seems like this may only trigger every other game or so. Fluffy, but not as effective as a few of the other traits.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
Yes I would agree that they mean unsaved/unnegated wounds. But if you have multiple damage those that aren't saved against are still all counted. So for example if you got 2 attacks to wound and they each had 2 damage and your opponent only saved against 1 then you'd still have done 3 inflicted wounds.
It doesn't say your mount is excluded from anything (which many artefacts specify if that's their intention) so I would say your whole warscroll's inflicted wounds count and all of it can attack again if you rolled well.

That would certainly make the trait better, but it seems like it would double the damage output of a vampire lord on a zombie dragon and be a bit overpowered if that were the case. Limiting it to just the vampire lords attacks makes it equally effective (or ineffective) regardless of a mount.

Demian

Vampire Count
Red Fury includes all of the model's attacks!

Using this trait with mounted heroes is certainly the best way to make it shine, and yes, it does make a Vampire lord on a Zombie Dragon as deadly and fearsome as he was back in 8th with (unsurprisingly) Red Fury as well.

As for the wording of the text, it reads "...after your General attacks..." so, you must have finished attacking and that step includes the "Inflicting Damage" step of the sequence.

For more clarification, under the 4th step, Determine Damage it reads: "each successful attack inflicts a number of wounds equal..."

So, there we go =)

Also, Ruler of the Night is a very potent Command Trait, but Red Fury is close behind... if only our Bat Swarms gave us COVER instead of making other stuff -1 to Hit... THEN Predator of the Shadows could be more appealing. Plus it would be wonderful for our whole Soulblight theme...

But that's a story for another time.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Does the rule of one for generating extra attacks apply to Red Fury? My logic is this: in all other versions of generating additional attacks, you usually need a 6 on either to hit or wound, then your opponent gets saves and removes models as necessary. With Red Fury, it goes attacks, saves, remove models, roll to see if you attack again, Since models are removed before the second set of attacks, your opponent could deny them to you by removing models that are in range first. So to me, it sounds like Red Fury ignores the rule of one, unlike a Mourngul, for example. Thoughts?

Does the rule of one for generating extra attacks apply to Red Fury? My logic is this: in all other versions of generating additional attacks, you usually need a 6 on either to hit or wound, then your opponent gets saves and removes models as necessary. With Red Fury, it goes attacks, saves, remove models, roll to see if you attack again, Since models are removed before the second set of attacks, your opponent could deny them to you by removing models that are in range first. So to me, it sounds like Red Fury ignores the rule of one, unlike a Mourngul, for example. Thoughts?
You are right that the Rule of One doesn't apply to Red Fury.
The RoO applies to additional attack generated by an ability. Red Fury, as written, doesn't generate additional attacks, but let the model attack again. You can even pile-in, so you reset your combat phase.
Compare those 2 spells:
Righteous Smiting of the Liche Priest: for each 6+ to hit roll, the model can make one extra attack (Rule of One applies)
Danse Macabre of the necromancer: the unit can pile in and attack twice (Rule of One doesn't apply)
Red Fury works as Danse Macabre.

And regarding model removing to negate Red Fury...
It's a viable tactic, but it could be not so easy: Red Fury let you pile-in again, so your opponent needs to remove all models within 3" from your general

Red Fury doesn't allow a second pile in.
REALLY? :o

that's weird... in the italian version of the General's handbook, it is explicitly hallowed.... o.o

The literal translation of last part of the italian text for the Red Fury ability, is: "it can immediately pile-in and attack again".
I don't have the english GH... the original text has been wrongly translated?

EDIT: courtesy of Imgur, I've finally checked the english text. Yeah, pile-in it's not hallowed. The italian book is, indeed, wrong. Good to know...

Last edited: