• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
I’ve hit a new point in my painting and I’ve decided to hit the “reset” button and begin a new thread. Over the past year I’ve gone through some transitions. I am no longer gaming, but simply painting for the enjoyment of it and also to enjoy competitions. I’ve met a great new group of people in my area who are highly motivating and are a great to be around. They are also incredibly good painters. Over the past few months my progress has been dimmed a bit around here. Well it’s time to change that.

From my new group of fellow painters, I’ve learned so much in the past few months than I have in about two years. I’m amped up and am looking to take off with my abilities and share what I can with you all. Yes,there will be vampire stuff in this thread, I just have to unpackd them. So without further ado…

Here is a current piece I’m working on. It’s based on the game “Stalker”.
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker4.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker5.jpg

And secondly is a Forge World piece that I finally bought and am starting to work on:
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_DeathRider1.jpg

As always, C&C is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Jake

Brovatar

Ghoul
Feb 1, 2012
RE: Redarmy’s Painting Thread 2.0 – Redarmy Strikes Back!

The first one is your sculp ?

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Brovatar said:
The first one is your sculp ?

I wish it was. I have sculpted parts on it though, as well as a majority of the wall elements and the floor to improve texture and contrast. I'm getting more and more confident in my sculpting though. I'll try to push it a bit further.

All the best,

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Made some further progress on "Stalker" last night. Finished the base up to this point and primed it.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker6.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker7.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker8.jpg

The Apoxie Sculpt is awesome. I can barely tell where the pre-fabed base ends and my sculpt begins.

As always C&C is appreciated.

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Got some more work done this weekend.

Made some further progress on my Stalker model. Hoping to get this guy done in time for a contest coming up.
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker9.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker10.jpg

Also started working on one of several pieces for Swiss Dictator. This will be a Nurgle War Shrine once completed.
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Bases011.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Bases010.jpg

And finally, I finished the base work for my Death Rider of Krieg.
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_DeathRider4.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_DeathRider3.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_DeathRider2.jpg

As always, C&C is appreciated.

Jake

Brahm Tazoul

Wight King
Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I agree; I find that base-work often is what puts the model over the top for me. Someone can do a fantastic paintjob on a figure, and if it's just sitting on a plain plastic 20mm square, it just stays "ok". But something like THIS, and it brings the whole package together & makes everything pop!

Brahm

silenti79

Skeleton
Apr 22, 2011

Death Korps of Krieg models are awesome, I've collected quite a few myself. Your base looks amazing and I can't wait to see what you do with the rider.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

The scenic basing on the stalker is just awesome Red! Though I do think the basework on the death rider is the best. Can't wait to see the models painted too!

Quick question, though... why do the basing and then paint?

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Thanks for all the feedback guys :). I really appreciate it!

I do the basing first as it helps me carry my choice of colors. I want to get something that contrasts enough but also blends with the model. It's just something I fell into a habit of doing.

I made some further progress on the base tonight. Let me know what you think.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker12.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker11.jpg

I think it's looking pretty good so far. I learned how to make the chipped/deteriorating wall effect by accident; I wasn't happy with a color so I took the mineral spirits to it. Turns out, it looked incredibly a lot like the pictures I've been using as a reference so I kept it that way.

Much to get done before April 3rd!

All the best,

Jake

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Looks good. What did you use for the wall out of curiosity.
It's kind of funny, that's why I base last is to compliment my choice of colors. I mean I let the colors on the model influence my basing rather than the opposite way.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Monkey said:
That looks nice!
I'm not a massive fan of the tile colour, but that's just personal preference I suppose.

Can'y wait to see the rest...

Ahh yes, I understand. However, I'm looking for a bit of authenticity with what I'm basing it on: Chernobyl, well actually Pripyat. Here's the picture I've been using for reference:
(Click to see the full size image)
[attachment=1612]

I'm not too nuts about the color, but I'll be tweaking it a little bit too. I'll be using some Mig pigments as well to dirty them up in the end.

All the best,

Jake

Attachments

• 2100.jpeg
    2100.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 21

Monkey's_Uncle

Black Knight

Fair enough, you do seem to have got it matched pretty well.
I think the painting is amazing, it's just the colour I don't like.

I suppose it should be less obvious when there's a mini on there as well.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Monkey said:
Fair enough, you do seem to have got it matched pretty well.
I think the painting is amazing, it's just the colour I don't like.

I suppose it should be less obvious when there's a mini on there as well.

Fair do's, haha. I'm not wild about the color either, but it'll be toned down a bit. I'm using Mig pigments to create dirt and such so you won't even really see how green the floor is, not to mention the amount of debris I plan on putting on the floor as well.

You'll see in the end :)

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Duke Danse Macabre said:
Just want to ask, how do you do the wall picture/ poster?

I found a full-size poster on the internet and very slowly and carefully reduced the size without compressing the quality too much. Then when I got it to the appropriate size, I printed it out on a some thicker stock. From there, I weathered the poster carefully with inks and washes and crumpled it up!

All the best,

Jake

desfer

Necromancer
Jun 13, 2010
Attiki, Atthens

I am sure in the end they will look fantastic!!!! What i like most so far is the pre-shading you've done to the models. I envy you :tongue: With this kind of shading every color transition will look so smooth. You never cease to amaze me!! Very impressive. Can't wait to see them painted :thumbsup:

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

desfer said:
I am sure in the end they will look fantastic!!!! What i like most so far is the pre-shading you've done to the models. I envy you :tongue: With this kind of shading every color transition will look so smooth. You never cease to amaze me!! Very impressive. Can't wait to see them painted :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, bud :)

I've made further progress and am just about ready to call the base DONE. I just have to highlight the branches of the trees.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker13.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker15.jpg ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker14.jpg

That's all for now. Hoping to get the basecoats done on the figure tonight.

All the best,

Jake

headhunter

Skeleton
Jan 31, 2012

man, this IS awesome.

tell you what tho..I kinda loved the base and wall etc, when it was "snowy" before.

I know thats not the finallook you were going for..but to me it was screaming cold-war!

very tastefully executed.

-D

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

I love the progress you're making on it. And the picture your using for reference is beautiful. I have actually used images from Pripyat as color references myself.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota

Made some additional progress on this piece tonight. I'm going for the KLMK camouflage used by Russian commandos during the 80's. The top will be painted a soiled/ dirty tan color.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker17.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Painting_202_Stalker16.jpg

I think it came out well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Jake

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

It is amazing to see the progression on the model. Loving how it is going bud

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu