• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
@Harland

This is largely what I was suggesting, nice and concise! Perhaps rather than a post limit, there could be a time limit. Something like "You have 3 days to react to the assassins". This would enable more freedom while still keeping on schedule.

This could also work, and would hasten things along (by skipping the wait for RPers who were possibly inactive) but if one RPer had their character address another, and then the time limit ran out, the conversation might be left hanging. I suppose it could be finished in a flashback, of course. It might stall the plot progression, however. This is an interesting and viable alternative, though.

Concerning the twins, I don't see any reason why they need to strictly be killed off. They could simply... fly away in their castle, much less messy. Plus Krieger himself suggested the twins simply disappear at an opportune moment.

They could do this, but I don't see chaos launching two surprise assaults and completely failing to assassinate the council. It would make it believable (in terms of lore) to kill some of the characters in the band off, and Krieger's ones are ideal targets.

Personally, I prefer the idea of the characters surviving on their own merit. Moreover, it's clear that DoN wants to keep Neferata undeclared at the moment ("alliance unknown"). Plus this slightly overcomplicates things, the aim is to wrap up the current chapters as quickly and cleanly as possible and then introduce the new characters.
Perhaps I'm missing your point, but I don't think the chapter 4 assassination strike needs to happen in a fortress. It could simply happen at an encampment.

I absolutely agree with you on characters surviving on their own merit (perhaps I did not make this clear), but if players do not post before the time/post limit is up (they may not have the time to do so, and when I said they might not want to, I was referring to players with temporarily hectic schedules who did not want to hold up the implementation of the reboot), and want their characters to survive regardless, DoN should be allowed (so that waiting for inactive players does not become too lengthy a process - some players may have left the RP entirely without announcing that they have done so) to post actions for the characters of RPers who have not responded by then. E.g. "Dozy the Inactive leapt aside as the blade came for his throat and jumped through the exit portal."

I think that aid from the Lahmians in warning the characters would justify the survival of most of the council -- it's not as if the chaos forces, which include people who have experience of the skills of a council containing several powerful vampires, would send out assassins against the council that were easy to notice and defend against. However, if the council were warned, they could defend themselves and escape.

Regarding the fortress, the council were hoping to enter it anyway (for an audience with Neferata) and it would be the most secure place to kill one's enemies in, so I don't see why chaos wouldn't lead the council into the Silver Pinnacle before launching the assassination attempt. In fact, that would be the best place to do so by far. They could lead them into a room of their choice (where no doubt assassins who have prepared to attack the council in that room are waiting) and, after persuading the council members to settle down, get the assassins to attack the council.

It gives spiney and Shar a viable reason for having their characters join the council when Neferata's alliance is still unclear. Those two would naturally run to their mistress (being faithful) unless they were in such a situation as the one I described in my previous post in this thread.

As for Neferata, perhaps her alliance could be left unclear whilst still allowing the two characters of spiney and Shar to join the council in the way I've described earlier. It could be said that she relocated from the pinnacle hurriedly, leaving some of her servants behind, who were subjugated by chaos (or adopted into its ranks, if Neferata joined forces with chaos). They didn't like serving chaos, and did not know of Neferata's allegiance, and so waited for an opportunity to leave the pinnacle without being overpowered. This opportunity could come in the council members at the pinnacle.

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Feb 23, 2010
Right Behind you...
@Harland

I absolutely agree with you on characters surviving on their own merit (perhaps I did not make this clear), but if players do not post before the time/post limit is up (they may not have the time to do so, and when I said they might not want to, I was referring to players with temporarily hectic schedules who did not want to hold up the implementation of the reboot), and want their characters to survive regardless, DoN should be allowed (so that waiting for inactive players does not become too lengthy a process - some players may have left the RP entirely without announcing that they have done so) to post actions for the characters of RPers who have not responded by then. E.g. "Dozy the Inactive leapt aside as the blade came for his throat and jumped through the exit portal."

This I entirely agree with, I was more contesting the need to involve new characters in the assassin strike. I truly believe it would be much cleaner, easier, and most importantly quicker if it is dealt with simply with what's already there. None of the council members are lacking in ability, there are a vast number of reasons why the assassins could be detected - magical alarms, restlessness, or simple underestimation of the council's abilities. Plus we don't know if Shareya and/or spiney are even going to keep their characters.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
I've sent a possible idea for the Silver Pinnacle assassination attempt to DoN which I think might make it's effectiveness a little more believable.

Excellent! :devil2:

This I entirely agree with, I was more contesting the need to involve new characters in the assassin strike. I truly believe it would be much cleaner, easier, and most importantly quicker if it is dealt with simply with what's already there. None of the council members are lacking in ability, there are a vast number of reasons why the assassins could be detected - magical alarms, restlessness, or simple underestimation of the council's abilities.

I suppose, but I feel something a bit more than the reasons you just listed would be required (Vekarin is probably with chaos, and if not, there are likely some in the chaos force that once served the members of the previous council, or, at least, those who knew of how Nagash fell at the hands of the council). They would not be likely to make the mistake of underestimating the council, or not preparing for any restlessness/magical surprises they might have. The only one of these I can see as credible is Rowhaine being given new intelligence (warning about the imminent assassinations) that the Nehekharan gods have just uncovered. However, this could not apply to chapter 4, as it happens much earlier than chapter 5 in the role-play timezone and Rowhaine isn't at the silver pinnacle, unlike the characters of the RPers participating in chapter 4.

GoW's top-secret plan for the reboot post will likely give credibility to the council's escape from the pinnacle, whether or not share and spiny are involved. xD

Plus we don't know if Shareya and/or spiney are even going to keep their characters.

We might to find out about this before we launch the reboot. Shouldn't the matter of unaccepted bios for RPers not currently participating in the TVC II be dealt with before the IC relaunch of action? It would allow them to instantly get involved as soon as the council had returned to drakenhof.

I am referring to the bios of characters of the five RPers highlighted in red in my List post on page 2 of this thread. Speaking of that list, I have just updated it with the 'Last online' times of all the players, and the overall statistics post I made that follows it.

To quote the now-updated List post: "At 10:30pm on the 8th July 2014, whilst updating the Last Online sections of each RPer, I found an error (Anilar's username was neither underlined nor emboldened). I have corrected this now, but I apologise for any inconvenience it might have caused before this edit."

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I think I have a relatively clear idea of how to wrap things up now (GoW idea was great xd).

I'll update tomorrow (watching Hannibal at mo) about how it should work.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yep, wrap them up in a nice bit of sliced sautéed human liver, finished with a good wine of course!

So chaps (do we have any chapettes?), the way this will go is as follows:

• Assassination attempt at the Silver Pinnacle. Don't worry about the who or where, only that it will be sprung (all been sorted xd). You can respond as you like with your characters however we will be outnumbered and overpowered, so everyone will be fighting to escape (no chance of beating them). The point to escape to will be the parked coaches which will then zoom those who survive back to Drakenhof.
  • Ambush in the wastes. Literally before Graveclaw and Rowhaine kick off, Graveclaw heightened senses hear / smell something. These two will have gone off at a slight angle, not the direct path Igor took, hence Igor not running into them. Asaph (who is of course watching her champion) realises that for some reason she cannot see what Graveclaw is sensing, and that some how she and the other Nehekharan gods have been blinded. She warns Rowhaine who realises they are being drawn into a trap, and calls for a retreat until they can figure out what is going on. Realising they have been rumbled, the hidden forces of Chaos (how they know of them being there has been thought of, but it's a sideplot secret :innocent:) attack. This battle is more of a trying to keep ahead of the horde of chaos warriors drawing down on them, with Nekhlior saying he is only able to easily reopen the portal where they came through as reality will still be weak there (normally takes a while to do the ceremony as previously).
In both scenarios I will not post how it ends. Simply there will be attacks and then posts from members about them fighting and escaping. For those that don't post, we won't know what happened to them. In the next chapter they will be missing (and IC we will assume them dead). However should the players come back later, then we can say they escaped in a different fashion and have been recuperating / hiding out etc.

The next chapter will be approx a few weeks later at Drakenhof. It will be assumed that everyone was injured in one fashion or another, and this time was spent recovering. New characters will have been told to attend a new meeting at this specific date to discuss what to do next.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
The next chapter will be approx a few weeks later at Drakenhof. It will be assumed that everyone was injured in one fashion or another, and this time was spent recovering. New characters will have been told to attend a new meeting at this specific date to discuss what to do next.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

*Disciple of Nagash Will it be set a few weeks later IC, or will it be IRL a few weeks later?

If the former is the case, how many IRL days will it be set after the initial assassination post?

If the latter is the case, when will it the next Drakenhof chapter be set in terms of IC times?

Otherwise, I second what Harland said, and have no problems with the imminent assassination post (bring it on! :devil2: ), barring the fact that you might want to deal with implementing all remaining structural changes (among other things, picking and announcing mini-GMs -- although of course the question of when this will be done has been cleared up by you saying the deadline for mini-GM entries is by today).

Also, you might want to approve the characters of people who haven't entered their first character into the TVC II yet before starting the action again. However, if the Drakenhof chapter is set a few weeks IRL (or even just a few days in terms of IRL) after the assassination posts, then I suppose these sign-ups could easily be dealt with after the assassination post, but before the Drakenhof chapter is launched.

Advertisements for the reboot and the Drakenhof chapter should also be dealt with now-ish, although again, if there is more than a week IRL between the assassination posts and the Drakenhof chapter, the advertisements could just be put up when the assassination attempts were posted. If you want to plan the advertisements' details (and their targeted areas of the forum) meticulously to maximise their effectiveness, you might want to start doing so now, though, and if you need/wouldn't mind a helping hand, we're happy to assist. :thumbsup:

Here are a few methods by which you might want to advertise this reboot:

1. The first step is to write a good description, encouraging old TVC II players to return, old TVC I players to return, and anyone new to come. I'd try to give a sense of freshness to the RP, explain why it stands a smaller chance of falling into inactivity again (by briefly describing structural changes), but also create an air of nostalgia to bring old players back. I'd probably structure it like this (note the IC here is poor; I'm only trying to draw a basic outline of what one could do:

You! Yes, you there! Dire times are upon us!

[Small IC introductory paragraph explaining IC situation and why new vampires/other creatures are needed for the council].

[OOC paragraph explaining what the TVC II is and why one might want to join it. Links to sign-up thread, 'the story so far', the sub-forum 'The Vampire Council II' and the TVC II guidelines page. This invites the reader to join.]

This could be sent in a forum-wide PM and/or put up as a forum-wide announcement and/or as a special offer in the Theatre de Vampyre (the readers in that sub-forum are the ones most likely to join the TVC II). There might be other methods of advertisement too.

You might want to send an email to the role-players currently involved (they have submitted bios for the TVC II) in the TVC II who are not active on CN, because they will almost certainly not receive notification that the TVC II is about to become active once more, because they will probably not check their PM inboxes, as infrequent visitors of this website. Whilst this may seem intrusive, some of them might be grateful for the email; they might have left the site because of the TVC II's inactivity (Lord_Mortis, for instance, was only involved in the inactive TVC II at the time of his last visit to CN) -- but this doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be eager to rejoin it should it become active once more.

These role-players have their 'last online' dates highlighted in orange beneath their username on the list post I made on page 2.

@Disciple of Nagash Thanks again for all the work you've put into making the TVC II, and its reboot, happen. I'm certainly looking forward to RPing in this roleplay again. :D

Edit: gah! Ninja'd by a post in the other thread. Please ignore my information about the GM sign-up still being open! :tongue:

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ah yes, in regards to the actions around the TVC II for the reboot, the plan is as follows:

• Confirm general acceptance of the above plot development / tidy-up (which seems to be good so far)
  • Confirm new GM team and set up new GM area
  • New sign-up will open. Everyone will need to submit their characters to this thread, even if it is copy pasting over from the old thread. These characters will be for the reboot, any characters fighting the assassins / ambush will be based on old bios
  • Chapters 4 & 5 will be progressed as per my previous post. It is expected that with a reasonable amount of posting, for the threads to be wrapped up in 2-3 weeks, maybe less if there is a lot of posting in a short space of time.
  • Chapter 6 will be scheduled to start around early / mid Aug. The delay spoken in my previous post is IC only. It may be possible for chapter's 4 & 5 to finish (if they take a while to wrap up) and then for us to go straight into Chapter 6.
  • Advertisement will be carried out as normal with announcements / emails etc. A PM has already been made explaining the concept to most of the previous players, I'll reply to that as well with information.
  • All players will also be requested to submit (or re-submit in many cases) their sideplots. These will be reviewed, and agreed upon, before being logged in the new GM area.
  • Things progress as normal!

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Ah yes, in regards to the actions around the TVC II for the reboot, the plan is as follows:

• Confirm general acceptance of the above plot development / tidy-up (which seems to be good so far)
  • Confirm new GM team and set up new GM area
  • New sign-up will open. Everyone will need to submit their characters to this thread, even if it is copy pasting over from the old thread. These characters will be for the reboot, any characters fighting the assassins / ambush will be based on old bios
  • Chapters 4 & 5 will be progressed as per my previous post. It is expected that with a reasonable amount of posting, for the threads to be wrapped up in 2-3 weeks, maybe less if there is a lot of posting in a short space of time.
  • Chapter 6 will be scheduled to start around early / mid Aug. The delay spoken in my previous post is IC only. It may be possible for chapter's 4 & 5 to finish (if they take a while to wrap up) and then for us to go straight into Chapter 6.
  • Advertisement will be carried out as normal with announcements / emails etc. A PM has already been made explaining the concept to most of the previous players, I'll reply to that as well with information.
  • All players will also be requested to submit (or re-submit in many cases) their sideplots. These will be reviewed, and agreed upon, before being logged in the new GM area.
  • Things progress as normal!

Sounds great! xD Will this new bio have magic abilities nerfed by you to represent the decline in necromancy? I remember some discussion at the original start of the TVC II revolving around this, but I believe it was later assumed that this was taken into account by you through making people have bios with lower stats to start with. Just checking that I get to keep Mort as he is now. Also, I assume reading the book of Nagash once wouldn't up his magic stats (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm asking because he read Nekhlior's whole book of Nagash in chapter 2).

I'm certainly looking forward to progressing with my side plot! :vampire3:

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Also, I assume reading the book of Nagash once wouldn't up his magic stats (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm asking because he read Nekhlior's whole book of Nagash in chapter 2).

I'm certainly looking forward to progressing with my side plot! :vampire3:

Just an opinion but I think it wouldn't effect his magical strength or his usual magical skill however it might do something such as giving him an increased bracketed skill in certain situations.

E.g. Magical skill 6 (7/8)

Fragmented Lore
Sneaky old Morty (being the sneak old guy he is) read Nekhlior book (and totally got finger prints all over it) but couldn't do it right because he's old and stoopid but still fragments of Nagash's lore remain and at times of great stress may be subconciously called upon.

In times of peril Morturion's mind calls upon knowledge the Necromancer does not know he possesses and for a short period of time the secrets of Nagash's Tome are recalled by him.*

*Obviously not a serious description :P But that sort of idea, a skill that can only rarely be called upon by the player (as Mort would have no ability to use it conciously) and once the need is past he can't recall the words. Think of it as the trauma of using the powerful arcane tome unprepared engraved some knowledge into his mind which can't be normally used.
Then have some sort of weakness that after using it he is exhausted or something?

Just a quick idea! May have no merit at all.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
This might actually be an opportunity for me to seriously get into TVC- previous attempts have failed due to me having serious motivation issues back then (and difficulties integrating my characters into the story) so I am more than happy to refrain from joining if people are overly worried about me keeping up with things this time, but I am eager to give it my all.

That being said, the character I am most keen to play is my Skaven Warlord (Nithek Deathclaw), but integrating a skaven into the story would take some planning (with the help of the GMs).

That being said, I could always revamp (pun intended) the vampire character I was working on if that is a more acceptable alternative.

Thoughts? Questions? Angry Mobs with Burning Torches?

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
I'd suggest you RP whatever character you're most interested in, even if it is a Skaven and not a vampire. That would ensure that as a player you'd have more interest in the roleplay :)

We could make a Skaven fit I'm sure, afterall they would probably rather Chaos didn't come stomping all over the place too.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
There's usually a gullible fool or two willing to vouch for the most unsavoury of characters.

EDIT: Sometimes I hate text and its double meanings. Come join us Sanai!

@Harland @Get of W'soran I believe that Archy was unintentionally implying that he was the gullible fool vouching for Sanai (in this implicatipn, the unsavoury character) to join the RP. :tongue:

And GoW, that's a nice idea (I wasn't trying to get a power-up for Mort, just asking what the effect of the book would be). Thanks for the help on this. :thumbsup:

I think he'd remember the passage well, though; perhaps it could work something like what follows. I think the theme of Mort's mental power vs his relative physical weakness fits nicely into this idea.

Forbidden Lore

Recently having read a whole book of Nagash, Morturion seeks to attempt to weave its dark magicks into his spells in times of great need. Whilst this increases his arcane powers temporarily, it takes a heavy toll on his physical frame to generate spells of such power -- his mortal form buckles under the stress of generating these dark magicks. Consequently, for a time after usig magic from the book - which cannot be done for extended periods of time, and cannot be done often - Morturion is fatigued and physically weak.

Occasionally, Morturion can increase his raw magical power to 8 for a short time, but for a period after this, his speed, (agility also? What do you think?) and raw strength are reduced by 1 each.

I just noticed that I've been ninja'd by Archy, but oh well. I'll post my comment on his double meaning anyway. *Sighs*

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Bah! Can't find suitable funny pictures to respond, curse you work filter!

@Harland @Get of W'soran I believe that Archy was unintentionally implying that he was the gullible fool vouching for Sanai (in this implicatipn, the unsavoury character) to join the RP. :tongue:

I know xD Was kidding around.

And GoW, that's a nice idea (I wasn't trying to get a power-up for Mort, just asking what the effect of the book would be). Thanks for the help on this. :thumbsup:

I think he'd remember the passage well, though; perhaps it could work something like what follows. I think the theme of Mort's mental power vs his relative physical weakness fits nicely into this idea.

Forbidden Lore

Recently having read a whole book of Nagash, Morturion seeks to attempt to weave its dark magicks into his spells in times of great need. Whilst this increases his arcane powers temporarily, it takes a heavy toll on his physical frame to generate spells of such power -- his mortal form buckles under the stress of generating these dark magicks. Consequently, for a time after usig magic from the book - which cannot be done for extended periods of time, and cannot be done often - Morturion is fatigued and physically weak.

Occasionally, Morturion can increase his raw magical power to 8 for a short time, but for a period after this, his speed, (agility also? What do you think?) and raw strength are reduced by 1 each.

The point I was trying to make was to do with the Tome of Nagash not being a normal book, it's isn't just pages of writing it's the magic that is so intertwined in the tomes existance.

I thought it would be nice to reflect how he had went into reading the book unprepared and how it had nearly destroyed his mind (as was rped out during the Drakenhof scene). He didn't forget because he's mentally weak, he forgets because the magic was implanted in his mind during the struggle with the Tome's own will rather than something he just read. (Would the brief reading have been enough to learn anything of significance?).

What is Morty's current Magical stats anyway? 6 or 7?

But submit the idea for approval that most interests you for your character's development! It's you who's got to RP him afterall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu