• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Rising an army from the dead... A liche

Hello
My first post here. I'm Warhammer player for about 20 years now but for last 8-10 years my interest were elsewhere... With the coming of the 8th edition Warhammer caught me again... My favourite army were Undeads from the very beginning so after I made a decision to walk under the two moons again, Im rising them from the dead again.
In my collection there are many models, some VERY old, some just old and some new - for myself of course, they are still 5-6 years old. Large part of army is unpainted, but I was able to field in 4 and 5 edition armied as large as 4000-4500 pts easily. Now I'm planning to field VC, as most of my miniatures fits into this undead branch. I have to rebase everything, repaint large part of the army, paint many more models and buy and paint some others... Sounds like a lot of work - especially as I'm historical wargames player and painter too so my hobby time is divided between history and fantasy.
After checking rules, armybook, looking at some pictures of miniatures I decided to paint my newrisen army in not so dark colors - I like them but painting all army dark would mean that I would have to repaint all of my models... With chosen colors I will be able to save some time...
To test colors and chosen base look I painted Wight Lord - it was actually filed and glued about 10 years ago, but his time came only yesterday...
So... Rise and rule;)

More images on my blog...

Last edited:

uglybug

Grave Guard
RE: Rising an army from the dead...

Welcome, I look forward to seeing your army develop. I always like to see older editions mixed in with the new figures. Glad to see another blue army painter that i can steal ideas from too.

Dogmar

Varghulf

Welcome to CN! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Your wight king is looking very good. He has received a nice and clean paint job.

Now let's see more.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Welcome to Carpe Noctem and The Dark Arts part of the forum. :) I hope you will find your stay here both interesting and enjoyable.

That wight king is looking really good, you sure know your way around the paintbrush. I like the clean paintjob and the blue and red's looking splendid.

If I may ask, in what era is your historical wargames set? WW2 or something else?

Hi and welcome to the forum. As far as I like your clean paintjob, I am not sure about the bright colours. I understand why you've chosen them but didn't you consider the option to make your older models (painted bright) darker with use of Citadel Washes or Army Painter Quickshade instead of painting the rest of them bright? These are very quick to use and allow you to field the darker looking army with just a little work. Just an idea, anyway.

I love your basing technique and colours. I know it is not anything special, but looks very realistic and convincing. Great job overall, waiting to see more.

Thanks for warm welcome... or maybe I should say "vampiric cold" welcome;)
@Boo - I play mainly DBA in 15 mms (ancients, bit of Dark Age recently) and paint miniatures for some other periods (WW2 and modern mainly).
@YoungOlo - thanks for your comments. I could use washes or dip of course, but I want to have clean look on this army. Some of the units will be darker, some of the heroes will be dark too - but some shade of blue and red will be main colors, together with bronze, gold and shades of silver. I'm sitting on the fence right now with this wight. I relatively like this blue barding but more I'm looking at it, more I think it is too bright. Well, it's test model anyway so I still have time to decide:) My bro told me that he doesn't like this color too and I value his opinion as he has a great eye for colors mixing and pairing...
I managed to rebase a unit of Dire Wolves yesterday:

Working on Banshee...
And from the really happy news - I found yet another box of forgotten figures, some missing chariots (no longer my army of course), lots of very old metal zombies, some painted ghosts, manticore and lots of ghouls... I think I have found all my old minis now:)

Well... some photoshopping on my side, I wonder if it will looks better...
Changed only barding but with purple barding reins would be black and details red, shield with purple and bone.

A

Antoine von Carstein

Nice job on the bases, I really like them. What did you use for the grass?? I prefer the colors on your photoshoped wight king. IMO, It feels more vampiric.

Welcome to CN. your wolves looks awesome, and so the bases.
Show us the zombies, love zombies.

Kimo-san said:
Welcome to CN. your wolves looks awesome, and so the bases.
Show us the zombies, love zombies.
I totally agree plus i would like to add something (just a thought/suggestion) i would like to see your mounted vamp with darker colours and some shadows (like greys,black etc) or you could add some ink washes to the ones you already have made.Keep it up nice work so far!

Guys, no zombies for a long time I'm afraid. I NEVER field a unit of those I'm afraid. Not painted one anyway. I have about 60 metal models of GW zombies and some boxes of plastic but they have to be painted from the very beginning. I will show them in coming weeks:)
First vamp - mounted - is here...
It is an old model of my general. I remember I painted him in two or three long nights, to finish him off for second Grand Tournament in UK.... when somebody at GW sales told me, that rule WYSIWYG will be enforced. So I couldn't use my old painted general and had to paint new one in just 3 days. No judge cared about WYSIWY on the the tournament ofc:)
This miniature is not altered in any way, except base and new matt finish.

Next finished model - mounted wight in old terminology, mounted skeleton musician in even older terminology, black knight musician I think nowadays.
Model is slightly repainted. To bind him with a planned army look sword scabbard got a new paintjob. And base is new ofc.

Third finished model -banshee. Slightly repainted, to bind it more with rest of the army I painted the scarf red.

And those two skeletons are my test minis, I checked if the washes will settle down on gloss finished miniatures (they will), repainted shields in army color, changed base, etc. Miniature on the right side is actually one of my oldest models, it comes from Skeleton Army box. Still fine miniature I think. I'm glad how those two turned out - I will be able to rise two big units of infantry with no so much work. One unit armed with spears, second with hand weapons. I have third unit of skeletons with 2handed weapon (scythes), but they are no longer valid. Will mix them with spears and 1handed weapon armed skellies probably, this third unit has low priority...

Task for coming days: repaint mounted wight lord with purples and reds, some skellies, another mounted old wight, maybe liche too...

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood

Hi, welcome to CN. Nice stuff, very clean. The army is going to look great if this is the standard all the way through. I'm very enamoured of your old skeletons from the truly ancient skeleton army set. I agree, they still hold up pretty well, especially with a nice paint job. The only thing I would say, and it's a personal taste thing rather than a technical point, is the claws on the dire wolves. I think they look too bright. Wolves claws are usually mid to very dark brown or even approaching black, and I find it looks better on the models, but as I said, just my taste.

Looking forward to more!

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood

Some vvery nice work there, particurlarly digging the vampire lord on skeletal steed. That you managed to do such a nice job against the clock is impressive. Good work :thumbsup:

I agree with Nikostratus. The General on skeletal steed....Woooaa! Very good job!
Mostly I like this red color gradient. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all comments. Yes, claws on dire wolves should be much darker but... I like them bright, it's oldschoold painting and I want them to look bonelike:) That's fantasy creature after all;)
I managed to rise first unit - my skeletons armed with spears and shields. Technically they have invisible light armour too;) I hope that in case of tournamet game opponent won't argue too much about lack of armour on miniatures. Anyway, unit is 27 skeletons strong right now, will be expanded to at least 30, 40 preferebaly. All shields were repainted, many bone areas were retouched, bases were made from the beginning. Command group is very old too - I didn't like skeletons sb avaialble 15 years ago and I prefered my old standards and musicians. They will be replaced probably by new plastic models, so banner here got just basic paintjob. It is supposed to look etheral. Musician got new color of the robe (or fur insides), and SB was heavily repainted - new cloak, new banner, new details.
Wight is another old model, from first Citadel Lord of the Rings range. It was labelled as Barrow wight IIRC. It is commander of this unit from the very beginning of my army. Slightly repainted, cowl and blade mainly.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood

Excellent looking unit, the command group is very nicely painted, diiferent from the rank and file but they still look part of the unit. Whats next?

I already started repainting another skeleton unit. Command group is ready, few skeletons too. Should finish them by end of the week. Then I will probably repaint mounted necromancer and liche.

Dogmar

Varghulf

I'm really liking the old skeleton models. They're very unique and rare, so handle them carefully ;). The good paint job really makes up for the sculpts being not as detailed as today's are because the technical possibilities were not there back then when they were made. Especially the command group looks very dynamic and I agree that they, although brighter and more colourful, fit to the unit. If only today's command models were that unique :D.

I'm very curious to see your current projects done, even WIPs are fine :)

Cheers,

Dogmar

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood

Nice command. I love the 80's citadel range. The champion model serves as a wight king in my own army.

Kirgan

Grave Guard

I always like standard from ´80 and skeleton mount with mace :devil2:

Another week passed by, another unit of skeletons rejoined my army. This time most basic unit, hand weapon, shields, light armour. Miniatures are the same as in previous unit, old skellies. I modified some of them adding spare armour or making new chainmail, helmets, etc from greenstuff. All miniatures got new shields, new bases, all were retouched here and there with paint. Many miniatures in this unit are slightly rushed, I wanted to field bigger unit in one of tournaments and painted about 10 of them in one night - I usually paint one miniature in two evenings:)
First command group. Wight as before - old LOTR range, burrow wight. That one was slightly repainted.

Then another version of standard bearer. As before, standard itself is supposed to look like ethereal. More I look at it, more I like this effect, maybe I will paint all standards like that (and it's a cheap way to NOT paint anything demanding actual skills;))

And musician...

Unit is 35 skellies strong right now, there are few older metal minis inside it too. They will be forming another such unit, made entirely from old metal miniatures, but they are here for time being... One of them is below:

Unit looks like that:

I managed to repaint some heroes too. First mounted wight with 2handed weapon. It is a very old miniature sitting on equally old metal skeleton horse. I remember it was rather hard to actually join these two miniatures... That one got hood repainted.

And this is my old liche, army general of old times. Well, since I can't field liches anymore, he got degraded to some necromancer... It is a simple conversion, upper half is taken from Catacombs of Terror add-on for HeroQuest, lower half is wight cut in half. That one got extensive repainting as it was painted in bright colors.

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood

'Sniff' those old minis do give me a lump in my throat from overwhelming nostalgia. Loving this army. Your skeleton units look splendid. I'm using that old barrow wight as a cairn wraith myself.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood

Another nice update, that liche model is really nice in painting and conversion. Good work :thumbsup:

A VERY small update this time as I'm rather busy in RL for a few last days.
I managed to paint three "figures" from the past (they have at least 25 years old), bringing my spear-armed skeleton unit to full strength (30 bases).

Here they are:
[/align]