• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Rod of Flaming Death in a WE-ascendant meta

So I don't know about your guys' local scene, but the woodies are tearing it up here. The two WE players took second and fourth overall (and best general) at our most recent tournament. The best general went 5-0-1, with five straight crushing victories against his opponents (including yours truly).

Now much of my loss was the result of a scenario that forced bad deployment on me, and I my battle plan of "advance in a line and try to catch him" failed quite miserably. I think on reply I have better ideas of how to do it.

...but that said, I think that I was still really lacking tools to take on this sort of avoidance army. Rod of Flaming death, though expensive, offers a really attractive choice to this. D6 S4 hits that wound him on 3s, and an additional wound to each elf on a 3+ if the unit moves? That's a must-dispel right there that I can cast on a single die.

I'm starting to think that it's an auto-include in any VC army that's expecting to face a lot of woodies. Agree/disagree?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
The rod of flaming death is great against empire and brets, never tried it on Wood Elves but as they back board edge hug you could use doom and darkness followed by this you could swing the battle in one quick move.
The damage output is just a bonus in addition to this first effect though in my eyes.

The rod of flaming death is great against empire and brets, never tried it on Wood Elves but as they back board edge hug you could use doom and darkness followed by this you could swing the battle in one quick move.
The damage output is just a bonus in addition to this first effect though in my eyes.
The board-edge-hugging woodies I'm not so concerned about. My footsloggers can substantially weather their shooting in the couple rounds it takes me to get across the board, and with dogs and terrorgheists parked on the woods to block any moonstoning he'll have nowhere to go.

No, it's the all-cav lists that I'm afraid of. Specifically the 3xGR 2xWW + sisters bus list that I faced at Wet Coast that casually wiped me off the board. His whole core ambushes and the rest of the army moves 20" a turn with a 2++ versus magic, leaving only a few hundred points in eagles and waywatchers for me to pick up. Very frustrating, and I found myself unable to catch it. Ended up only scoring 50 points (though I was thoroughly screwed by the scenario, in addition to the bad matchup).

Against that, I'm thinking that the Rod would be a godsend. It's essentially a must-dispel for him, which eats into the resources he has to block my vanhels-ing and gazing at him.

These are my thoughts, at least. So far they remain untested.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
The cav lists are a pain but any reasonable magical missiles death with them s yes, in that case this would as would Gaze of Nagash.

In regards to any unit with a 2+ on magic though, combat is the only option.
I know its a pain but we do have units which can manage it and at a push you could consider taking BK without barding to keep them as light cav, hex wraiths will be ripped apart by magical shots. #Of Course Varghiests are another viable option here but i don't know what you have or play style.

Demian

Vampire Count
Agree. Rod is golden, as is Gaze of Nagash and possibly Wind of Death now! that much Fast Cavalry sure is annoying D:

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
I was thinking that a Flying Circus type list would be a good counter to this MSU shennanigans.

Yep, that could work. I face an edge-hugging Glade Guard / Tree based WE army and have concluded that Fire and buffs are lovely. Shadow/Cursed Book MMMiasma could slow them down too. Check out my thread on it lately...

Rod of death is a 40 pt Ring of Ruby Ruin (which is only 25 pts)

It does nearly exactly the same thing with these differences:
- it's only 18" as opposed to RoRR 24"
- it causes panic
- it causes a strength 4 hit (non-flaming) to every model in the unit if it moves next turn
- While a Rod can only be wielded by a wizard (arcane) the RoRR has no restrictions (enchanted)

I don't have an experience vs Woodies yet, so I'm not sure. If you're looking to cause flaming attacks you can stick a RoRR on a Wight King. Bit that doesn't look effective out side of a Treeman. The panic and movement prevention might be huge with the Rod and so might justify its cost.

Seems odd to me that flaming attacks don't do anything special to units in forests...

Rod of death is a 40 pt Ring of Ruby Ruin (which is only 25 pts)

It does nearly exactly the same thing with these differences:
- it's only 18" as opposed to RoRR 24"
- it causes panic
- it causes a strength 4 hit (non-flaming) to every model in the unit if it moves next turn
- While a Rod can only be wielded by a wizard (arcane) the RoRR has no restrictions (enchanted)

I don't have an experience vs Woodies yet, so I'm not sure. If you're looking to cause flaming attacks you can stick a RoRR on a Wight King. Bit that doesn't look effective out side of a Treeman. The panic and movement prevention might be huge with the Rod and so might justify its cost.

Seems odd to me that flaming attacks don't do anything special to units in forests...
S4 hit to everything in the unit would crush a T3, lightly armoured skirmisher unit. You're basically pinning them in place for a turn. That's what the extra 15 points of utility comes from. It's a spell that an avoidance opponent CANNOT let go off.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Well, if the Rod successfully causes the panic and the unit flees, it will automatically suffer again the next turn, whether it continues to flee or reforms (counts as its movement for the turn).

Well, if the Rod successfully causes the panic and the unit flees, it will automatically suffer again the next turn, whether it continues to flee or reforms (counts as its movement for the turn).
I can tell you from playing TK with our panic-causing catapults that the enemy actually failing a panic check is very rare if you haven't assisted them along with D&D.

I can tell you from playing TK with our panic-causing catapults that the enemy actually failing a panic check is very rare if you haven't assisted them along with D&D.
I think the point is that you have elves running all around the board, so play to their weakness - they may not be near BSB or IP and so are likely stuck at 8Ld which will fail a panic 1/3 of the time.

ordinarily Ld test are taken against 9/10 LD with BSB re-rolls so its very rare to see a panic succeed.

Elves might be talking 18" IP though like a treeman or spellweaver on great eagle. So I'm not sure.

I think the main point is D6 strength 4 hits so why not take a Rod on a necro AND a Ring of Ruby Ruin on another char like a wight king and burn it up.

UPDATE:
Q: If a unit that was targeted by the Rod of Flaming Death in the
previous Magic phase moves in its next turn, do the additional
Strength 4 hits they suffer have the Flaming Attacks special rule?
(p63)
A: Yes.

Last edited:

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
I like the idea of using both. With that said, I think the extra effect of if the unit moves, every model takes a S4 hit is huge. Well worth the 15pts and other trade offs.