• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Rolling for Spells with Multiple casters on the same lore

Archamedius

Grave Guard
So I always thought if you had more than 1 caster with the same lore, when generating spells you rolled both casters at the same time. Is this incorrect?

The advantage of rolling both at once is since duplicates allow you to "pick any" if you get a duplicate roll across casters, you can "pick any" and pitch the other for the signature spell. This comes into play with Lore of Vampires because you always take invocation on every caster, and you want to avoid Wind of Death except in very rare circumstances. (night goblin or skaven slave spam armies come to mind here). If you roll them together and get 2 6s you can pitch and pick effectively eliminating it from your spell selection, but if you rolled them separately, you'd be forced to pitch it twice, instead of giving the flexibility of getting to pick one spell.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have always seen it done one caster at a time, I am sure some one else can point out the relevant rules, buti feel I have seen this question on several sites across the years and I'm still rolling one at a time.

EDIT:

Google fu says this
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49757.0

They discuss the proper way, once wizard at a time and for rolling then all at once skews the statistics involved.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
I have done it both ways and found rolling for them all at once seems to be most beneficial for duplicates. I have never had any issues with that either in club, tournaments, or other clubs.

I have done it both ways and found rolling for them all at once seems to be most beneficial for duplicates. I have never had any issues with that either in club, tournaments, or other clubs.
But that's the issue you get more doubles without having to take the actual spells you rolled doubles on.

"BRB p. 490:
"The usual method for selecting spells is for each player to randomly generate spells for each Wizard."
"If your army includes more than one Wizard, you can choose the order in which you generate their spells."

So the rules say you do it one at a time, you can pick which order to generate them, so all your level 1's then your level 4 or vice versa, but you can't roll them all at once, because then as the OP pointed out you can roll 2 death wind, swap one and drop the second, on a seperate caster for the signature, without ever having to take death wind, where as everyone who rolls it one at a time according to the rules, would have to take death wind on one of those casters or in both cases drop it for the signature, instead of getting a free choice of the spell on the wizard of their choosing.

Rolling them all at once is objectively better, since you have more information on what you have available and what to drop for signatures. Unfortunately, as pointed out above, it is also incorrect.

The best strategy for rolling spells is usually to generate with your lowest-level wizards first. That increases the likelihood that you'll land the spells you want on your level 4.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Rolling them all at once is objectively better, since you have more information on what you have available and what to drop for signatures. Unfortunately, as pointed out above, it is also incorrect.

The best strategy for rolling spells is usually to generate with your lowest-level wizards first. That increases the likelihood that you'll land the spells you want on your level 4.
Before this, I didn't know it mattered. I guess I'll have to start doing it the right way. I doubt it will change my gameplay much.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I'm moving this to Laws of the Night since it is a rule question. Mostly for record keeping as it seems it has already been answered.