• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Scratchbuilt Thunderhawk

The Blackadder has a new project and I am posting here from the inception rather than after it was completed as with Lucie.
https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Scratchbuilt-Lucius-pattern-Warhound
Apparently flashback scratch building isn't all that interesting.

This new project is a Thunderhawk the basic structure of which has been kicked around my basement for a few years; a discarded work my son attempted when I started my Warhound. In all fairness starting college may have been the cause of his waining interest in scratchbuilding.

Anyway I have taken up the gauntlet and am attempting to complete this model.

The hull is composed of 1/2 inch foam filled posterboard and the images below are of the basic hull as of a week ago.

The image uploader isn't working? It's not the size or the format? I'll try later.

I came across these 3D images.

I don't know who this artist is but I want to have his baby (Well build his baby anyway.) He has actually made a Thunderhawk look not only attractive but downright viable.

Below are 3D renderings from this artist which while not 100% FW exact are a tremendous improvement on the original and will be my guide from now on.

Note that the last image is of the heretofore not seen belly of the beast.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
I know that you are all for the foam and stuff but perhaps i could direct you to a pretty easy conversion project that is going on at my store? It is using the various Vehicle kits to make a fully plastic thunderhawk

lynks said:
I know that you are all for the foam and stuff but perhaps i could direct you to a pretty easy conversion project that is going on at my store? It is using the various Vehicle kits to make a fully plastic thunderhawk
Actually building this particular model out of foam board was not a good idea. There is little advantage to foam construction when weight is not a consideration such as the Lucie project were a massive upper body would put too much stress on the leg and foot (toes) joints. This model will just sit on it's landing gear which can be pinned if needs be as I want it to be retractable as well. I would love a link to your project although as you may well know I am rather keen of scratch building all the main non production parts and regard it as a compromise to use kits other than the occasional GW bitz. I shall in all likelihood use the Landraider doors and sponsons. We'll have to see when I get that far. Right now I'm trying to cover all this foam board with sheet styrene.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
Well, it isnt my project however I think it is pretty snazzy and came to mind when i saw the title of the thread. seeing as it's a pretty massive conversion i believe it is still in the proccess of being completed. The conversion is made out of 2 storm ravens, a vindicator, a shadow sword turbo laser, 4 twin linked heavy bolters and 2 las cannons from the terminus ultra upgrade sprues.

First off, can you see the contents of this group? http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_194510620563122&ap=1 this is the page containing most of the photos but it is a private group and you might have to ask the operator to see the content. I am sure if you just ask for an invitation he will give it to you though.

secondly there is my store's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/GWCastleHill and more specifically, the album with the photos of it is http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.208108735878501.51051.197319080290800 there is the more completed images in this album, however the first album has the progress photos.

Thanks for sharing. That looks like a really good group. The Stormraven conversion to Thunderhawk project looks well made, is it completed? I see that the majority of components are GW where I inferred that there were other brand kits that were cannibalized. Glad to see that the components maintained the 40K flavor.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: Its always good to see nice conversions / kit bashes.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
The reason the one i linked is made entirely out of GW plastic kits is that a GW store made it and it was a challenge to see if it was possible.
You seem to have gotten most of the sape right, however I think that the front lower section needs to be longer. As for the wings they seem to be working fine at the moment, the thunderhawk itself does have some pretty thick wings

lynks said:
The reason the one i linked is made entirely out of GW plastic kits is that a GW store made it and it was a challenge to see if it was possible.
You seem to have gotten most of the shape right, however I think that the front lower section needs to be longer. As for the wings they seem to be working fine at the moment, the Thunderhawk itself does have some pretty thick wings
Thanks for the heads up. The problem is the forward cargo bay is too high or deep at any rate it look about a half to an inch should be removed from the bottom. I made a bad assumption that the plans my son worked from were scale without checking. Now that the hull is partially sheathed the discrepancy is more noticeable. By superimposing my model profile onto the three profile images I have
I see where the discrepancy lies. I am efforting to remedy this as we speak and I am in your debt.

Which all goes to prove one shouldn't make assumptions.

The red faced Blackadder

I really want to replicate the 3D Thunderhawk posted above. It may be outsized but it looks more airworthy than any Thunderhawk rendering I've yet seen. I can't wait to get to the fine detail. The layered armour and the beveled edge on the fuselage really makes this thing come alive. I'm also opening up the cargo bay so it will have an interior as well.

"One step forward two steps back," that's my motto.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
You can always say your thunderhawk is a different pattern of thunderhawk with a modified size.

Since this beastie will have a full interior of the cargo bay including the side hatches I have to be careful all is right dimension wise. I am taking meticulous care building the nose hatch/ramp.

I've been real busy at work this week not much to show for it. Yesterday I started on the cargo bay interior. Getting smarter in my old age I'm building the interior first so I don't have to work inside out.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Very nice interior detailling. Is that all with bits of plasticard?

Also, what chapter is this beastie gunna be dedicated to?

edit: you know, if you measured out the individual bits you cut out to make the thunderhawk, and put them onto paper...you could make a pattern that other people could print out and follow...... alot of people would be in love with you at that point.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
is that a bit of a hint there Sanai? ;P

That interior looks really great! I suppose i shall have to keep a close eye on this building log Blackadder

Mainly scraps of plasticard; sheets, rods, and tubing, beats throwing them away.

A lot of forums look askance at presenting templates. I'm sure GW/FW monitor these projects for copyright infringements. What can be gleaned by eye and replicated they can't do much about but if I start distributing plans I am sure they will object. The probable reason the PDF T'hawk plans are not objected to is that the resulting model is so wrong in size and shape. This 3D model actually exceeds the FW offering in every way. IMHO

As to the chapter. I really hate to dedicate a colour scheme to one army as I unfortunately did with Lucie; I just really liked the 'War Griffon' colours, I had no idea it was locking me into one army. Isn't there a generic colour scheme?

I'm not sure about a lot if the interior detail; what is done thus far is pretty standard T'hawk stuff but as you get into further back the detail just starts to look plain silly. On the left side there is a ladder leading to the flight deck that looks for all the world to be made of railroad ties and at the aft end there are two sets of stairs one on either side, too narrow for use by anyone, especially one in combat armour. Exterior to the stairs there are the side hatches which eclipse the stairs so when the hatch is opened the stairs are in the way unless they fold up, (an idea that just hit me.) In the 3D drawing the side hatches are oppose each other but in the FW version the left side hatch is displaced forward giving an asymmetrical appearance to the hull. I'm not sure how I am going with that. There is also a rear hatch/ramp in the manner of a KC130 (for in flight cargo 'chute drops perhaps?), then the side hatches are superfluous. I certainly like the side hatches and I am debating about the rear hatch as detritus sure to be present when the hatch is in use in flight is sure to be sucked in by the center engine. Beware the FOD!

;D EB

Any opinions?

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
There is no "generic" colour scheme for space marines. Each chapter is a self contained organisation.
Also, I dont think the engines suck things in, as they can't be jet engines...... thunderhawks are a space craft...... jet engines dont work in space....

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
I have been following this log since its birth and I must say, you really do have a gift for your scratch-building skills! Please don't stop, this is a real pleasure to follow!
Like Sanai, as much as I'd love plans I think you make a fair and valid point. As GW own the interlectual property for all these things I think if you were to start doing the 'plans' eyebrows would be raised. What I feel could be beneficial to all of us is more of a masterclass really. I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly have little experience in scratchbuilding to this degree. If there is any way you could perhaps explain in detail some of the processes I think that would not only get past any copyright issues, but also be extremely beneficial to the community here. Just a suggestion, don't feel obliged, your logs are inspirational by themselves!

As for the colours, I personally think you should do it fairly neutral rather than exclusively for one chapter. Could the Imperial fleet have acquired a Thunderhawk? I'd take inspiration from Imperial Armour - Maybe look at some military aircraft for inspiration. I think green/grey would always look sweet!

Keep it up good sir!

Cheers,

u_m

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
The navy does not have access to thunderhawks. The only groups that get thunderhawks are the space marine chapters, the inquisition and possibly the adeptus mechanicus. The normal fleet uses aquilla landers, valkyries, fury interceptors and marauders to do what space marines use the thunderhawk for (note how the fleet has to use so many different craft to fill the role of a thunderhawk)
Also note that titans dont belong to chapters, they belong to the legio titanicus which is its own organisation. So you can probably paint your thunderhawk in whatever scheme you want and make it be a chapter that has a titan accompanying it in battle.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Fair point, but then again if you are using it as an Inquisitorial vehicle then surely it could be in the Inquistor's personal colours? Either way I think just paint it how you best see fit. I really like some of the 'Navy' colours in Imperial Armour and think it'd look really sweet!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Well you can paint it in whatever colours you like, and if those arent the colours of an existing chapter, make one up to match the colours.

Sanai said:
There is no "generic" colour scheme for space marines. Each chapter is a self contained organisation.
Also, I dont think the engines suck things in, as they can't be jet engines...... thunderhawks are a space craft...... jet engines dont work in space....
Thanks for all the input and I'll respond to all the replies in turn but I must address this one first before I leave for work.

The intake cowlings of the engines have these huge fan-like devices much the same as any turbojet engine I am familiar with. One can only suspect that these are air intakes for whatever purpose and therefor susceptible to 'foreign object damage'.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Yes but being a spacecraft, the thunderhawk must fly without the use of these intakes in space, as their is no air in space. Unless they are gas intakes for refueling in gas clouds..... *ponders* or intakes to make the engines work differently in the atmosphere? *ponders more* but the central engine doesnt even have an exterior intake that I can see...
Their obviously wasnt much rational thought going on in the design of the thunderhawk! Aaah games workshop....

It's up to you how realistic you want it to be, seeing as how games workshop obviously didnt take logic into account when designing the thing.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
perhaps those side ones are jet engines only used when they are not flying round in space? save on rocket fuel and all that :tongue: