• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Sculpting wood boxes

Eyeless

Wight King
So i need some sort of wooden crates or wooden coffins or wooden treasure chest (maybe?) something along those line and i want to try to sculpt some. Anyone has ever tried this? Or has any good links to put me on the right track pls?

Cheers =]

Eyeless

Wight King
@Borgnine Thanks a lot! i knew i had seen something on here but couldn't find it. I'll definitely try this =D Also a big thanks to @Theerteen himself for the excellent tutorial. Cheers guys =]

Leithel

Grave Guard
Good tutorial, I just read through it. Anther option, if you want the wood grain finish, is to use any wooden model you have now as a base and create a template for greenstuff. You can use Instant Mold easily for this and then create your own wooden beams out of greenstuff to create your coffin. Failing that, if you already have one model of the crate you can replicate it really easily using Instant Mold and a greenstuff / milliput mix.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Why not just make it out of balsa wood? Surely it's got to be easier than sculpting one from greenstuff or something?

Eyeless

Wight King
Yep i'll be trying out wood first, if that doesn't work i might try greenstuff or i'll buy something similar (as much as i don't want to :tongue:)

Leithel

Grave Guard
@Blutsauger Nothing wrong with the wood at all, but depending on the size scupting it gives you the option to reproduce it and if you already have a crate, you can reproduce it pretty easily with your own cast. Either way, I'd love to see the results.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Wohoo, I'm of good use! Glad if it helps you to give more (warning, bad joke incoming) life to your undead scenery :thumbsup:

And of course thanks for linking the thread @Borgnine , I've never found it again myself xD

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Theerteen Well, good that I have a good memory and know that there's such thing as "Find all threads by..." ;)

And to stay on the topic, especially the matter of wood grain - balsa doesn't show wood grain the way it's usually done in miniatures and GS can be a bother, so I can recommend "drawing" the wood grain on balsa with some tool and then applying super glue on it. Not to glue it with anything else, but to bind the wood fiber together and make it much more resistant to damage - I did it once with a very good results, but lost the piece in question somewhere - so no photo, sorry ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Okay, I actually found this piece:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FL9mpDrj.jpg&hash=88ceb54d1f9ccfd1b17bcf19856c388c

As I said - balsawood with wood grain pressed in it with a small tool, painted with a light color and then washed brown - it looks like any other wood that GW gives us. I will be using more of this on my Necrosphinx in some future.

Leithel

Grave Guard
@Borgnine Actually yeah that looks really good, I'll be sure to try it when I move on to paint some of my Dogs of War army, lots of wood in the war machine scenery bases.