• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Second Wave?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
So I've been seeing rumours about a supposedly second wave, with a new battletome! I can't see how that would be considering the recency, but apparently this might be because SBG hasn't been optimised for the new edition?

Anyone heard anything similar? Any thoughts as to whether we need it anyway?

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Interesting. I haven't heard such rumours no, but they did do something similar with Lumineth. If they do I would really appreciate if they made the Korsagi Nightguard, the Vargskyr and the Bloodborn as separate units - I'm not a fan(g) of the "buy-one-buy-all" structure they have been using for implementing the boxset minis into regular armies.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Whoever said SBG would get a second wave is pulling your leg. Having read the new rules and seen the multiple general instances available in the new book, I think a second wave would be unnecessary at this point.

Grave Tacticus

Skeleton
I wouldn't put is passed GW to do a second wave with a "BRAND NEW" battletome. Hopefully the Wight King's command ability is fixed, I mean, that was ridiculous.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Interesting. I haven't heard such rumours no, but they did do something similar with Lumineth. If they do I would really appreciate if they made the Korsagi Nightguard, the Vargskyr and the Bloodborn as separate units - I'm not a fan(g) of the "buy-one-buy-all" structure they have been using for implementing the boxset minis into regular armies.
I've seen a lot of complaints on this and I'm surprised at how they have done it, surely it wouldn't be too hard to separate them? They are awesome models as well.

I wouldn't put is passed GW to do a second wave with a "BRAND NEW" battletome. Hopefully the Wight King's command ability is fixed, I mean, that was ridiculous.
On this, what is the big complaint about the Wight Kings command ability. I loved they remade the classic camel model, so was hoping he would be useful?

Sersi

Skeleton
I don't see a new Battletome coming anytime soon. But new models are assured, which will come with their warscroll in the box anyway. We'll get a Vampire Lord on Nightmare, and replacement Grave Guard eventually. Whether or not we get get Bat Swarms back is hard to say; although I'm very bitter about loosing them and my Lord on Nightmare. Other than than Soulblight is all plastic now and has more units than the other Death factions.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
I've seen a lot of complaints on this and I'm surprised at how they have done it, surely it wouldn't be too hard to separate them? They are awesome models as well.

They did the models for them on the same sprues for some of the creatures if memory serves (I made mine almost instantly).

I think we got enough new things in the boxes we have as hexwraiths remain a unit for the nighthaunt so need updating too. The only thing I would like is some updated Grave Guard.

Gederas

Zombie
Currently, there's no hard evidence outside of the Lumineth being released with a "playable, but some obvious missing things" battletome... Which Gravelords kind of feel like. And it's basically the Cursed City models: Bat and Rat swarms, Vyrkos Blood-Born (seriously, Radukar the Beast is paling around with two), the Vargskyr. The Kosargi Nightguard I can understand because they're kind of tied to Radukar himself.

Really, all they'd need to do would be make a multipart kit of Bat and Rat Swarms (possibly like the Chaotic Beasts where it's two units in one box), Vyrkos Blood-Born and a Vargskyr. Maybe also an updated Corpse Guard and otherwise the line is good, as even the oldest plastic kit in the line (Corpse Cart) isn't bad, it just has utterly trash instructions :lol:

Well, I'm not sure about the Cursed City sprues, as it might be a case of "too much effort for not enough return" (plastic injection moulds are EXPENSIVE), but they've made a recut of the ETB Sequitors specifically for the "free build and paint" model so...

On this, what is the big complaint about the Wight Kings command ability. I loved they remade the classic camel model, so was hoping he would be useful?
It's basically a RAW/RAI mess. This is their command ability:

"Lord of Bones: At the rasped command of their king, the Deathrattle hordes lay about the enemy with a tireless focus.

You can use this command ability in your hero phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly Deathrattle unit wholly within 12" of this model. Until the end of that phase, you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made with melee weapons by that unit."

The Wight King (both foot and mounted) have their Command Ability work in the hero phase, when it affects combat. And there's no way for any Deathrattle unit to attack during the Hero Phase. So basically, they don't have a command ability at all :lol:

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Whether or not we get get Bat Swarms back is hard to say; although I'm very bitter about loosing them
Agreed, bat swarms are so linked to Vampires, we need our cloud of bityness! 🦇

@Gederas ah I see what you mean with the Wight King, although surely that's obvious 🙄 why would they otherwise give the WK a command ability that has no affect. I used to hate those who stuck to RAW

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I feel like this one was a bit sloppy, such as the Wight King's command ability being a typo about the phase it works in (as others mentioned too). But, overall I think an FAQ would be fine rather than a new book. Not that I wouldn't buy a second new book if it had any new units in it.

Kassill

Grave Guard
With the lumineth release I'm a bit hesitant. I'd love to say no this is it, and not have to buy some more stuff a year from now, but GW knows I will. And with the lack of faction terrain and endless spells (I know the necroquake is over but come on, this was the coolest addition to AoS) the release did feel smaller in comparison to some others, and now we're immediately overshadowed by AoS 3 and these new Orruks.

El Syf

Crypt Horror
There's a couple of dodgy things that make me think there could be a second wave.
No mounted vampire lord entry anymore, grave guard models now looking less elite than normal skegs, no endless spells, bloodborn could have been a perfect vamp infantry unit. They're all I can think of atm but it's an odd one. The battletome is fine in my opinion, there's just some weird head scratchers.