• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

SGK AND Master Necromancer at 2000pts

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#1
For a bit of fun, I'm planning to use both a SGK and a Master Necromancer in a 2000pt list.

Basically, I've had 3 ideas in terms of possible loadouts:

1) SGK - DBG, Fencer's Blades, Lv4 MN.

2) SGK - DBG, OTS, Beguile, Lv4 MN.

3) SGK - DBG, Sword of Might, Red Fury, Lv3 Master Necromancer


Which build looks best do you think?

Or, is there a better build that I haven't considered?
 

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
1,053
#2
Vipoid said:
For a bit of fun, I'm planning to use both a SGK and a Master Necromancer in a 2000pt list.

Basically, I've had 3 ideas in terms of possible loadouts:

1) SGK - DBG, Fencer's Blades, Lv4 MN.

2) SGK - DBG, OTS, Beguile, Lv4 MN.

3) SGK - DBG, Sword of Might, Red Fury, Lv3 Master Necromancer


Which build looks best do you think?

Or, is there a better build that I haven't considered?
Well Depending on who you're facing and what the rest of your load out is, I'd give him:
DBG and RF and stick him against a larger infantry block where he can grind it down alone without much fear of getting offed himself.

It depends on what you need him to do in your army, grind infantry fast, kill heavy armored troops or a jack of all trades (as much as possible in a 2k game)
 

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#3
Bullhax said:
Well Depending on who you're facing and what the rest of your load out is, I'd give him:
DBG and RF and stick him against a larger infantry block where he can grind it down alone without much fear of getting offed himself.
Do you think that RF is a reasonable trade for only having a Lv4 MN then?

Bullhax said:
It depends on what you need him to do in your army, grind infantry fast, kill heavy armored troops or a jack of all trades (as much as possible in a 2k game)
Probably jack of all trades.
 

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
1,053
#4
Do you think that RF is a reasonable trade for only having a Lv4 MN then?
I'm not sure I understand. But, I believe that a GK can function without RF :)

If you want a jack of all trade my build is still viable, but maybe give him the SoM or maybe anti-heroes and drop the RF. A level 4 caster is high on my priority list for magical defence.

You could give him the DS and DBG, a 'naked' GK can still pack quite a punch. :)
 

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Joined
Dec 23, 2012
Messages
2,047
#5
Red fury vs level 4 necro. Tough call. I think pure killing power, take red fury then grab a level 2 necro to regain spell selection. Mortis engine with tome benefits that load out best too.
 

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#6
Bullhax said:
I'm not sure I understand.
Well, a Lv4 MN plus Ghoul King is 460pts. So, I don't have enough points left to give the King RF. Basically, the only way to give the King RF is to drop the magic level on the MN.

Bullhax said:
If you want a jack of all trade my build is still viable, but maybe give him the SoM or maybe anti-heroes and drop the RF. A level 4 caster is high on my priority list for magical defence.
Well, if I'm honest, I'd like his priority to be survivability... but no armour kinda blows that option out of the water. :rolleyes:

Bullhax said:
You could give him the DS and DBG, a 'naked' GK can still pack quite a punch. :)
I could, though I'd rather give the SGK something more useful and pick up a dispel scroll in my hero section.

najo said:
Red fury vs level 4 necro. Tough call. I think pure killing power, take red fury then grab a level 2 necro to regain spell selection. Mortis engine with tome benefits that load out best too.
Interesting.

Out of interest, what would you recommend running on the SGK along with RF?
 

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
Joined
May 26, 2013
Messages
556
#7
If you can't afford to give him an ogreblade I wouldn't give him a magic weapon at all. At least then he'll get poisoned attacks. Red Fury really is our win button so I wouldn't field a SGK without it. OTS is very good if you can afford it.
 

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
3,838
#8
SGK with RF and Fencers and a level 3 MN is sadly 510 points... you can't convince your opponent to play 2040? :D If not I would pick your build no.1
 

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
5,524
#9
Take #3. I've used a level 3 VL for most of the current army book's run so far and it hasn't been a huge detriment. Your blender should be a blender, always take RF.
 

Gokamok

Grave Guard
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
260
#10
How about DBG, OTS and Potion of Strength? Will allow you to fit in the lvl 4 MN, while retaining poison and giving you an option for dealing with armour.

I'm not certain that bringing a lvl 2 Necromancer as well is worth the investment at 2k, so you could also consider going for a lvl 3 MN and then add in a scroll if you're into that.
 

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#11
Gokamok said:
How about DBG, OTS and Potion of Strength? Will allow you to fit in the lvl 4 MN, while retaining poison and giving you an option for dealing with armour.
OTS and Potion of Strength are both enchanted items, so I can only take one.
 

Gokamok

Grave Guard
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
260
#12
Vipoid said:
Gokamok said:
How about DBG, OTS and Potion of Strength? Will allow you to fit in the lvl 4 MN, while retaining poison and giving you an option for dealing with armour.
OTS and Potion of Strength are both enchanted items, so I can only take one.
Silly me, not sure why I always forget that!

I think that keeping poison is worth it, since you won't have enough points for Ogre/Giant Blade and RF, so a magic weapon shouldn't be a priority unless you expect lots of ethereals and/or forest spirits.

How about Potion of Strength, DBG and RF then? You won't need OTS for dealing with (monstrous) cavalry anyway, so I only feel like it's a big loss against characters.
You'd have to drop the MN to lvl 3, but I don't think that's much of an issue at 2k.
 

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#13
Gokamok said:
Silly me, not sure why I always forget that!

I think that keeping poison is worth it, since you won't have enough points for Ogre/Giant Blade and RF, so a magic weapon shouldn't be a priority unless you expect lots of ethereals and/or forest spirits.
Well, I expect to face a lot of things with high toughness and/or armour saves. My most common opponents are Beastmen (T4 base, but usually buffed at least once with Wildform for T5), WoC (at worst, T4 with 4+ armour), Bretonnia (2+ or 1+ saves), and Elves (Same again, plus Broken Banner on a unit of Dragon Princes).

Gokamok said:
How about Potion of Strength, DBG and RF then? You won't need OTS for dealing with (monstrous) cavalry anyway, so I only feel like it's a big loss against characters.
You'd have to drop the MN to lvl 3, but I don't think that's much of an issue at 2k.
I could try that, but potion of strength always concerns me - only getting the bonus once per game seems really dicey. Especially since you only get to drink it at the beginning of the turn (after which you could fail to charge, or your opponent could choose not to charge).
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
344
#14
I bring a boosted ghoul king, and level 2 with staff of sorcery and level 1 with scroll,

gives a strong ghoul king with all the right stuff, a level 2 with +3 to dispel, a scroll and 3 channel attemps :)
 

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
3,838
#18
No that is incorrect Seneschal. When Johnny writes "1" he is communicating in the interstellar language of the Old Ones completely alien to the human brain. We could spend the next millenium contemplating the essence of Johnny's uttering, still we would not be able to fathom the horrendous yet beautiful truth that lies in it.
 

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
1,053
#19
The Sun King said:
No that is incorrect Seneschal. When Johnny writes "1" he is communicating in the interstellar language of the Old Ones completely alien to the human brain. We could spend the next millenium contemplating the essence of Johnny's uttering, still we would not be able to fathom the horrendous yet beautiful truth that lies in it.
That or beer!
 

Vipoid

Necromancer
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
875
#20
The Sun King said:
No that is incorrect Seneschal. When Johnny writes "1" he is communicating in the interstellar language of the Old Ones completely alien to the human brain. We could spend the next millenium contemplating the essence of Johnny's uttering, still we would not be able to fathom the horrendous yet beautiful truth that lies in it.
Heh, Old Ones.
 
Top