• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Shadow of Drakwald - The tale of the 32nd Army of Middenland

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Shadow of Drakwald
The 32nd Army of Middenland

Greetings fellow carpe noctem members and lurkers alike. Welcome to my new armylog. After I failed with my warriors of chaos and lost interest in them and after the tournament which I participated in recently I got inspiration for a new army, The Empire.

If anyone remember the tale of four painters that this forum had a while back I painted Averlanders, and because my standard of painting has gone up I decided to repaint them. In this log I will post the result of that. I have also begun writing up some fluff for them, which you will find in the Tales of the Crypt part of this forum and if you are too lazy to look it up, I might post it in this thread as well... we will see.

Anyway, here is the first completed figure, a Pistollier that will be my captain in my 500 pts army, the reason for that is pretty clear in the fluff. Anyway I give to you:

Udolf van Teuffel
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_UdolfvanTeuffelFront.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_UdolfvanTeuffelRight.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Udolfvanteuffelleft.jpg

There we go, this project is now official!

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Cool, another Empire army. So far so good :) Good luck re-painting, it can be a real drag at times but so rewarding when you finish it(again).

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks Zephyr, got some more pics coming up also, completed my first rank of swordsmen! Wooh! :) these pics are not the best, I know, but I will take new ones with better light when I complete 5 more.

And if you are interested in the fluff, please check out the story part of this forum or if you would like, I could post it here as well.

54 th Swords, led by Sgt Pietr Hellsberg
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Firstrankfront.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Firstrankright.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Firstrankleft_1.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Heh that was a fast update! I really like the colors you are using and the freehand on that banner looks great. I'll check out the fluff too, it really helps to add that to an army as it fleshes it out and explains the visuals you chose as well.

Keep it up:thumbsup:

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thank you Zephyr. Im glad you like the freehand, I need more practice but I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I'm working on the second rank of five men now, expect an update soon! :)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
That's freehand? I thought they were stencils! Wow that's really great work.

Unusual to see bright colours here on CN xd Nice work though. Any reason why you lost interest in your WoC?

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks DoN! :D I've been practising my freehand and I'm glad you think it look good. :)

Well I got tired of the WoC because frankly they were too easy to paint. I got tired of them because I felt nothing for them, it was like it was not worth having them when there was no effort in painting them.

So now I've got a big battalion box of WoC that will never see the light of day. Hahaha, that's how GW make money I guess! :D

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Why not sell them? I am sure if you put them up for half price or something someone will buy them. Better to have some money rather than a box of models you won't use.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I've been thinking about that and I've already sold my hounds to a friend, the knights I aim to keep to turn in to blood knights :vampire3:, but the rest. Well I might try and get it sold :) Only half of it is painted so :)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Update time, managed to complete the second rank of swordsmen today, only 3 more to paint for my first regiment for 500 pts! Huzzah!

The second rank, completed!
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Secondrankfront.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Secondrankleft.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_secondrankright.jpg

The first two completed ranks.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_TwoFirstranks.jpg

Udolf van Teuffel and his troops.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Udolfandtwofirstranks2.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Udolfandtwofirstranks.jpg

So there we go, what do you think?

Xaret

Ghoul
Looking really nice, I like the clean paint job, pretty damn professional looking!

Also High-five for doing a quarters Empire Army. It looks amazing when all finished!

sea.man

Grave Guard
I really like the colours and the basing. Nice job.
regards,
sea.man :konrad:

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks for the good response guys, got an update here for you, finished the swordsmen regiment today!
Huzzah!

The last three guys are done! And here they are:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0794.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0796.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0797.jpg

Finished Swordsmen and WIP handgunners
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0799.jpg

Now I've started working on these guys:
WIP handgunner detachment.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0801.jpg

Leave a comment and have a good one! :)

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Excellent paint jobs there. That banner is pretty awesome for freehand! :thumbsup:

I did quarters on some of my Bretonnian peasant units. I wish I quartered all of them. It does look quite good once completed.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Amazing work Boo. I really like how clean they look, especially when compared to our VC xd Look forward to seeing them handgunners completed.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks Bishop, quatered schemes does look good when finished. :)

Yes, that's the fun part about painting them, I've never painted a clean army like this before. Thanks for the comment DoN :D

I have just arrived at my hometown for summer so now I've got loads of time for modelling and painting, so expect an update soonish! ;)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Well soonish was an over statement... I've not had any freetime to paint :( but today I got some work done! managed to build 7 archers and 8 free company as well as working some more on my handgunners. And heres a WIP on how they look now:

Freecompany.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Freecompany.jpg

Archers.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Archers.jpg

I don't know when I get to work next time, but I hope and aim to finish the handgunners this week and then perhaps begin work on the spearmen or free company.

Cheers for looking,
Boo

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Update time again, had some time to paint today, the Handgunners are about 90% done, just some hair and the bases to be finished. Also started painting the militia detachment. :)

Here you go:
Handgunners, 90 % done, they still need their hair and bases fixed
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1096.jpg

Militia
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1097.jpg

This is the 500 pts army, missing is 8 militia and 5 handgunners.
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1099.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Boo

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
A very beautiful looking army so far. I love the freehanded banner. Im gonna have to read the fluff now, and I do look forward to seeing more of your army as you finish it.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thank you Santawraith. Please do so, it can be found in the Tales of the Crypt part of this forum

Update on the army:

Some WIP on my militia
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_32nd_20Army_20of_20Middenland_Militia1WIP2.jpg

Cheers!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
There just a rabble of farmers with pitchforks, But are so beautiful painted. The empires version of zombies. I going to read your history today started too last night but then the baby was done feeding. Keep them coming Im very much enjoying them.

Thanmar Thrask

Black Knight
Followed your batrep/plog/fluff post on Warseer, should post more/all of that here I think.

Really makes for an interesting read and brings alot of life to the army.

uga bug

Black Knight
The banner you've done is amazing :)
In fact everything you've painted looks great!