• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Share your hobby area

Daoshi

Grave Guard
Greetings to my undead brethren :ghost:

Today I decided to rearrange my hobby area as I was actually building models in my room, which led to there being random figures in bed with me at night :rolleyes:

I thought I would take some snaps and started wondering where other people plan, scheme and create their undead empire. So I decided I might as well share my area in the hope that it will generate interest for others to share as well.

Here we go...

My downstairs work desk complete with skull goblet

Backgrounds for completed model shots

Yes, it is a hair dryer.

Orks iz best.

Tools/equipment/oil colours

The beginning of my undead war host + cookbooks for tasty victory eats

Paints :thumbsup:

Glazes/pigments/washes/paint charts

Windsor & Newton, Vallejo, and Citadel brushes + GW paints

Wide angle shot :thumbsup:

Well thats it for me... where do you lurk when you are raising your army? :zombie:

Reaper

Wight King
I really envy you lillilllliililllil... well, basically everythink on the photos :D I paint on part of my desk, with three brushes and about 20 colors (I don't think that I need to post photo of this) :D

desfer

Necromancer
ahahaha when i saw the title of this thread before i read OP's name i thought "lillillil is trolling" :tongue: You are so organised, it's incredible!!! xD Well, i paint on my desk and have all paints in a basket. I have my laptop by my side for reading tutorials and listening to music while i paint. What is that grey thing next to the hair dryer?

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
desfer said:
ahahaha when i saw the title of this thread before i read OP's name i thought "lillillil is trolling" :tongue:
This

But I will get some pictures of mine up today

Daoshi

Grave Guard
desfer said:
ahahaha when i saw the title of this thread before i read OP's name i thought "lillillil is trolling" :tongue: You are so organised, it's incredible!!! xD Well, i paint on my desk and have all paints in a basket. I have my laptop by my side for reading tutorials and listening to music while i paint. What is that grey thing next to the hair dryer?
Bahaha, not trolling at all :tongue:

It is an Ozito ( Dremmel like ) drill that has a flexible shaft so you don't need to hold it when you are working. Incredibly useful device.

Johnny-Crass said:
desfer said:
ahahaha when i saw the title of this thread before i read OP's name i thought "lillillil is trolling" :tongue:
This

But I will get some pictures of mine up today

Looking forward to it ! :thumbsup:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Welcome to my painting world.
My table with the full range of reapers.

My chest, the ect drawer

My chest, purples, reds, yellows, black white and grey.

Next drawer holds browns and flesh tones.

Next one holds blues and greens.

Top drawers from left to right is Metallics, washes and inks, then foundations. The box on top is a full set of the old GW paints.

Next, the beauty of my p3 and the full GW range.

Well lilililil, that's a nice hobby area... i think i will be using your photo's as a reference for my hobby room in the future... at the moment i'm moddelling on my computer desk/electronics work area, mostly being not organised at all but we will be moving to another house in a few months where i will have a room te create my "Mancave"

I'm going to integrate a spraying booth (allmost finished), photography booth (planning it atm)... One wall will be one big display case, on the wall of my modelling desk i plan to place a big LCD screen or white screen with beamer for reference foto's, video's, tutorials and other stuff connected to a laptop dedicated for the modelling/electronics hobby.

I'm allso making an overhead camera for filming my activities and progress.
Your paint rack looks very nice, so i will begin planning on your design, the only thing i don't like is how you store your brushes, as mine will be upside down so they can be organised and are easy to grab...

For my tools i plan to make a retractable arm (sort of like a dentist has). I allso plan a drying rack as well as a space for hanging my building plans... Glue and other stuff will also be on shelving like yours.

I allso want to create light fixtures for led spots that can be adjusted according to how many light i need/want on a particular project...

Watering pots will go on the desk in a little enclosure so they can't tip over, allso a retractable arm for mixing/blending paint is on the list as well as organised trays for left over bits and pieces.

The rest i'm still trying to figure out, but i guess it will be pretty perfect the way my plans are. I will be making a topic on this in due time (when we are settled in the new house):lol:

In the room will allso be a separate desk for electronics, one for my main working desk and one for various hobby's... I really like to keep things separate and tidy, allthough i can work in an organised mess, but that's not that simple sometimes...

grtz,

Varenberg:thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, allso for the other users on this topic...

Daoshi

Grave Guard
Varenberg said:
Well lilililil, that's a nice hobby area... i think i will be using your photo's as a reference for my hobby room in the future... at the moment i'm moddelling on my computer desk/electronics work area, mostly being not organised at all but we will be moving to another house in a few months where i will have a room te create my "Mancave"

I'm going to integrate a spraying booth (allmost finished), photography booth (planning it atm)... One wall will be one big display case, on the wall of my modelling desk i plan to place a big LCD screen or white screen with beamer for reference foto's, video's, tutorials and other stuff connected to a laptop dedicated for the modelling/electronics hobby.

I'm allso making an overhead camera for filming my activities and progress.
Your paint rack looks very nice, so i will begin planning on your design, the only thing i don't like is how you store your brushes, as mine will be upside down so they can be organised and are easy to grab...

For my tools i plan to make a retractable arm (sort of like a dentist has). I allso plan a drying rack as well as a space for hanging my building plans... Glue and other stuff will also be on shelving like yours.

I allso want to create light fixtures for led spots that can be adjusted according to how many light i need/want on a particular project...

Watering pots will go on the desk in a little enclosure so they can't tip over, allso a retractable arm for mixing/blending paint is on the list as well as organised trays for left over bits and pieces.

The rest i'm still trying to figure out, but i guess it will be pretty perfect the way my plans are. I will be making a topic on this in due time (when we are settled in the new house):lol:

In the room will allso be a separate desk for electronics, one for my main working desk and one for various hobby's... I really like to keep things separate and tidy, allthough i can work in an organised mess, but that's not that simple sometimes...

grtz,

Varenberg:thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, allso for the other users on this topic...
Wow :|

That sounds quite professional !

I can't wait to have my own house after graduating so I can so something similar. Take lots of photos as you make yours, I would love to see the progression of your man-cave as it sounds amazing !! :thumbsup:

Nothing special. Close to my TV, my laptop, my couch and all within arms-reach of my children (because everyone needs to know that they're within arms-reach of dad...)

Paints hide while kids are awake. Like me, they come out to play at night!

Brahm

hmmm, that's a clean desk... i'll take a pic tonight to show how UNorganised i'm working right now...

Your photo-booth looks nice, nice example for me... i plan to have a (dimmable if possible) LED light array for lighting, maybe some coloured LED here or there to add some colour... And hopefully something to add background like slates with real photographs or drawings. The white in yours is just a canvas or something else?

I plan to work with a surface that can be turned and multiple camera's, allso a retractable front so i can close the booth and shoot pics through a square hole (maybe adjusted webcams of a high resolution) The first design will be not automated but as my electronic skills upgrade i do plan to automise some of the booth...

Oh yeah, the kids now they better not touch daddy's hobby desk rofl:innocent:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Is the knife so you can get a real blood effect?

Cool Area's guys I think I should share my chaos of a basing table.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Santawraith said:
Is the knife so you can get a real blood effect?
Actually I use the knife to get rid of the molding lines. It has a really good grip and I just love it, it's a really old tool. Back from the days when I was a boy scout.

Varenberg said:
hmmm, that's a clean desk... i'll take a pic tonight to show how UNorganised i'm working right now...
Yes, it WAS clean. Now it's covered in Crypt Horror bits and washes...allllll the washes I could find before the paint line switched over

Your photo-booth looks nice, nice example for me... i plan to have a (dimmable if possible) LED light array for lighting, maybe some coloured LED here or there to add some colour... And hopefully something to add background like slates with real photographs or drawings. The white in yours is just a canvas or something else?
I have four "backers" for the booth; the grey one you see, a green one, a blue one, and another colour that is escaping me right now...

I plan to work with a surface that can be turned and multiple camera's, allso a retractable front so i can close the booth and shoot pics through a square hole (maybe adjusted webcams of a high resolution) The first design will be not automated but as my electronic skills upgrade i do plan to automise some of the booth...
Believe it or not, I was JUST dreaming that I'd set up my old record player as a base-stand for the photo enclosure...spin the models that way. I guess a lazy-susan or something similar would work as well, just wouldn't be powered. As to the multiple cameras, I have enough difficulty getting my ONE camera to work the way I want it to, let alone trying to get several to do so!

Oh yeah, the kids now they better not touch daddy's hobby desk rofl:innocent:
Yup yup! They know. To the point where I told them they had to clean up the living room, and my son took some of HIS models and stated putting them on my table, and my daughter said "Sebastian! You're NOT supposed to put ANYTHING on daddy's table! That's HIS space."

Gotta love my princess! xD
Brahm

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood

my working area. pulling out a newspaper on the desk when i start clipping and cutting in my minis. hopefully I will paint too, someday:)

Including these too, 5 generations of citadel paintpots. the first one is actually viable still. 3rd generation, lets just say they suck, bigtime. My paintbox stood unused for about 8 years. and those were the only ones drying out. even the inks and unopened.

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty
Yours' all are so organized! I'm jealous -.- Mine is a folding card table that I put a 4x4 piece of cardboard over. Then I pull out my cardboard box (from the basement where my brother lives, hidden in a room that is guarded by baby toys...) with 20 or so paints and washes in it. My sands and flock are in another small box upstairs in my room. I generally set up shop in the garage when my parents' cars aren't in it because of the spray painting. Just a little reminder that Menard's isn't gonna afford me my own place anytime soon.

But if school pays off, I'll have a nice little room with a desk or built in work table and some shelves and drawers to have everything tucked away in...in MY house haha. Also, if there's enough room I'll build my own table and scenery to play on it. Ideally.

Some cool hobby areas guys!

Yeah, I wish I had more space to myself and my hobby. Currently my setup is a 5$ folding table at the foot of my bed that serves as both my work desk and hobby desk. works fine but I have to keep all my tools and paints and models in small foot drawer type boxes under my bed and pull them out when I need em. Will be nice when I can have a whole room dedicated to this stuff. The main thing I really need though is a place to store finished models....

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Hehe, fitting name:)
and the swords to the right? for heavy duty converting? ;)

Wight Lord

Grave Guard
Melle said:
Hehe, fitting name:)
and the swords to the right? for heavy duty converting? ;)
yeah when the cutter or clipper wont work we bring out the cavallry;)
mostly i just use them to duel my gf about who gets to use the airbrush, thus far arms and legs have been kept intact! :thumbsup:
but you know women, they are ferocious creatures - and i wont get to keep my fingers and limbs intact for long
alas it is a lost cause!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Sometimes it is what we must do, we have a room for the hobby and it still overflows into the rest of the house here

Here's my hobby area.

I like to keep my paints mobile

Drawer of random miniature stuff. (unassembled minis, basing, foamboard, bits, etc.)

And last but not least, I felt compelled to also show my wife's hobby area. Her desk sits directly across from mine and we both have our various hobbies that we work on in our little "studio room".

akiro27

Wight King
Meant to post this for a while - here's my current hobby area. It's basically the entire basement save where the 'basement living room' is (TV, etc).

PC, lots of room for all the projects i'm working on and never completing. When people come for paint sessions, i have another curved portion of the desk that i can slide in the end of this to give them a complete desk for work. Thank you, Ikea!

Then, turning your head 90 degrees, I have my gaming side of the basement ... this is going to change when the kid is born! Storage everywhere (since all my friends leave/abandon their armies at my house), board in the middle and figures EVERYWHERE. Cotton on the floor is pretty constant since my dog obliterates all toys.

If you've seen my batReps this should be somewhat familiar!