• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Shutdown for Software Upgrade: Saturday 28th June

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Hello!

Once again I scuttle back with a shamed face due to my absence over the past few months on CN :redface:

Unfortunately the usual excuses of work, family and organising my first holiday in 9 years(!) took up much of my time.

However I am now somewhat rejuvenated, and once again have the drive fix the things I wanted to on CN.

So first and foremost: Carpe Noctem's software upgrade will be carried out on Saturday the 28th June 2014. For all the relevant information please see below.

This date is set in stone now, no more delays! I will also be trying to catch up to speed amongst other things.

So once again, apologies for the absence, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers

DoN

The Software Upgrade

Q - What exactly is happening with the software - is it new or just upgrading the existing?
A - It is a brand new implementation of software to replace our old and somewhat buggy installation. The donations gathered at the backend of last year enabled us to purchase much better software, which I have spent a good number of the intervening months testing.

Q - Is it just performance or new features?
A - New features will be included, for example a WYSIWYG editor that enables your to use the keyboard shortcuts to bold, underline, and see the changes in realtime as you type. A much better chat function has also been purchased.

Q - We we loose any functions?
A - Yes. Certain functions will be lost permanently such as the army builder option which was hardly ever used. Some functions will not be present during the first installation but there will be plans to bring them back in later phases - it is just not possible to bring everything over in one go.

Q - But the core functions will be there?
A - Of course - the main functions of posting, private conversations, posting pictures and so on are all there.

Q - Why go ahead with the upgrade before everything is ready?
A - If we waited for everything to be perfect, we would likely never see the new software. What we will have during the first stage will still be a great improvement over what we have.

Q - Will support be provided?
A - Yes. A specific section will be provided for Members to log bugs, suggestions and so on. These will be worked on, with fixes and new features continually rolled out. What you first see after the initial installation is on the first phase.

Q - How long will CN be offline for?
A - Likely most of the day. I hope to have everything up and running within 8-10 hours, but converting the database and installing all the necessary mods will take time.

Q - Will we be updates as to your progress
A - Yes, I will provide updates on our Facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/303211981227/

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Good news, everyone!

Anybody read that in Professor Farnsworth's voice?

Thanks for all the work on it, DoN. I'm looking forward to the Pimp My Forum episode. How was holiday?

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It was great xD two sunny weeks in Corfu, Greece. Wish I was still there, will just have to look forward to next year!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Good to see you Sunny xD

Well may as well update you all whilst I am here! I am not disappeared in the last week, I have been however preparing things on the demo site, which it is likely I will be doing up until the implementation. I am also resolving some new bugs with our theme (dammit version upgrade!!), but all in all it's looking good :thumbsup:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
Q - We we loose any functions?
The bugs with the current software were caused by loose screws then :tongue::D?

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing the new software. What's the size of the forum database roughly?