• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Skeletons and spears

If a model uses the upgrade of equipping a spear, like our skeleton warriors (VC).
Does it leave its hand weapon behind? Or does it bring it along side of him?

If so, could the model decide to not use a spear on 1 round and go S&B instead, thus granting it a parry save?

Or does that mean, if one takes the spears, the shield only affect the Armor save of the model. Lowering it by 1.

Hi, I'm pretty sure the upgrades replace the hand weapons and I also think that is a rule that says special weapons have to be used in place of hand weapons if the model has both. I don't have the rule book with me but that little niggle in the back of my mind is normally on to something.

I'll have a look when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it

Models always have a "hand weapon" in addition to any other weapons. That said, if they have another weapon (halberd, spear, great weapon, etc.) they must use that and are not permitted to use their regular hand weapon instead. Magic weapons also trump "normal" special weapons. It's in the rules for weapons on page 89.