• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

skeltal wings

Hey guys,
Anyone know where I can get some skeletal wings to make undead pegasi? I've shamelessly taken an idea from this site for putting the coven throne vamps on horses and adding wings, but I would really prefer skeletal wings to the meaty, muscular vargheist wings.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the poor quality photo.

You could try using the Morghast wings, since they have a skeletal structure, and just cut away the shreds of membrane and the spectral stuff at the bottom. They might be a little brittle, though with that stuff removed.

Wow. Tough hunting! It hurts to think about, but it seems I may end up having to buy 2 boxes of Morghasts for the wings. I suppose they have some great conversion bits for the box, lol.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Also what would be cheaper and also probably in the correct size range (maybe a little large) would be the wings from the old Julie Guthrie Skeletal Dragon, now being produced by Mirliton:

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=skeletal-dragon&cName=fantasy-2528mm-dragons

It's a small dragon, so the wing size would probably work.
How cool is that :D

I actually have those wings, got them in a bits box I bought on ebay long ago, and recently used them on my scratch built Winged Reaper. Nice to know where they are from. I do think they would be a little bit on the smaller side though for use as "pegasus" wings.

If you felt like cheaping out, there are a bunch of toy pterodactyl skeletons, misnamed as "dinosaur skeleton toys" all over the place, like here: https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Dinosaur-Skeleton-Figures-12-Piece/dp/B001M2FNH0. I dunno scale wise, but I've seen people mount the old warhammer skeletons on the other dinos that come in the set with relative ease, so I figure the pterodactyl ought to be in a a decently pegasus sized size.

Hey guys, thanks for all the useful replies! Lots of good options out there I never knew of, but I'm definitely hooked on the look of the Morghast wings. I think the membrane adds some extra interest, and coming in a pair should add some diversity to a unit of 3. I guess I still need to check the scale against the horses. Then I need to find them!

As much as I hate to do it, I'll probably end up buying 2 boxes of them just for the wings as I haven't even seen them listed on bits websites! Maybe then I'll have to convert some of these as Morghast, an awesome idea stolen from @Mioum

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Well GW Morghast wings will be expensive if you buy a box or two just for the wings!

One alternative that might work is to use this Reaper model. I believe they use the same wings as the models I used for the Morghast that you linked above, but they are in Bones material instead of metal, which would be much better to work with. If it's the same wings, they should be perfect to use on a horse/Pegasus.

At 3$ per models (or per pair of wings in your case), I'd say it's probably the best option right now for that :tongue:

I just bought a Bones bat swarm as a test, but I am worried that the paint flaking on metal minis would be nothing compared to the stress put on a paint-job by the bending of the plastic. How do you find paint on Bones?

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
I've had no problems painting Bones so far. Just like anything else, wash the models if you're worried (I rarely bother) then I've just used Chaos Black spray as on everything. Adhesion seems just fine. After painting I've just sprayed on some dullcote as normal. Even with the large bendy dragon I painted, you can bend the wing spines around a bit and the paint is flexible enough to cope.

I'd still rather have metal or hard plastic, but the models they can make affordable in this material are amazing, and still at a high quality.

So I bought the bone demon to try the wings, and they're too small :(
I've been asking around if anyone has an unbuilt Morghast for me to model the wings against, as after the bone demon purchase, and another purchase for a Malifaux conversion that didn't scale well, I'm hesitant to buy something just to try it.. :/