• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Skyward Sword

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
So, I've got the game on my Wii now (In Japanese, Huzzah for language frustration...erm...practice!) and I was just wondering general opinions.

I've heard both extremes: One friend said it was the best thing since Ocarina of Time, which I highly doubt, and others said it was the worst Zelda ever made. Including Windwaker, which is pretty bad in my book.

So, generally, what are the opinions on the game? And yes, I know I'm behind the curve on getting it. So shush.

And by the way, the music CD that came with the game with all the Symphonic renditions of classic Zelda songs....is...beautiful....:|

desfer

Necromancer
i've played and finished the game. I loved it. I am a huge Zelda fan and i believe Skyward Sword is a great game. In my opinion it is the best Zelda game since OoT (i really liked Wind Waker, but didn't like Twilight Princess very much). The motion controls give a huge boost to the gameplay. It's more strategical this way. You have to block and be careful where to hit. Some people complain about the motion plus and the controls, that they don't work very well. Well, i didn't have any problem. It worked fine. Generally, it's different than previous LoZ games. There is some backtracking, you have to go back to same areas, but i didn't find that annoying, since there were different things i had to do every time.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I have it, started playing it, got access to the third dungeon before xmas and haven't gone back to it yet. I am not sure if that represents anything, normally I can't put Zelda games down.

Other the other hand I was playing OoT on the 3DS and it is amazing. The 3D graphics are just draw dropping and personally I prefer the gameplayer of SS. I actually like Windwaker and Twilight Princess as well.

I'm not sure yet, let me try and finish it xD

On a side note FF13-2 is out shortly. That I am giddy over, pre-ordered the collectors edition.......I am even more giddy (as in full body arousal) over the upcoming Mass Effect 3....drool gathers in my mouth even as I type out the game's name......xD

It's a great game, but comparing it to the other 3D consoles, OOT through Wind Waker, it's probably my least favorite. Although this is personal opinion, and I'm a huge Zelda fan, having loved all those console games, especially wind waker and Twilight. That being said, my brother said he had as much fun playing it as he did with skyrim. Really, with this game being so different from the others, it really comes down to a personal level. Some do think it is the best thing since OOT, but compared to OOT I think it is still incredibly lackluster (OOT being the greatest game ever made :perv: )

Anyway, still a great game, I loved it, loved the ending, loved the sword play, loved the characters, loved the puzzles, and loved the special music CD you get (Listen to it in my car) :thumbsup:

desfer

Necromancer
OOT being the greatest game ever made
totally agree, it's my favorite game. However, many times i've thought that nostalgia is the reason that we won't see any game surpassing it. Same thing happens with so many other games, like final fantasy games for example.

desfer said:
OOT being the greatest game ever made
totally agree, it's my favorite game. However, many times i've thought that nostalgia is the reason that we won't see any game surpassing it. Same thing happens with so many other games, like final fantasy games for example.
And then when they re-released it for the 3DS and you found yourself completely overwhelmed with it, as if playing the gamed for the first time again, you knew this wasn't true. ;)

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
I found it to be not all that great, at least as a zelda game. Twilight princess was much better in my opinion (OoT is beyond comparison :tongue: ) out of all the zelda games i've played (no windwaker or DS games or original zelda game) this has to be my least favourite. I found that the hub based gameplay got annoying with all the loading that you had to do travelling from area to area and the backtracking most of the time seemed like a cop-out (there are a few times it was good). With the motiion plus controls, it isnt about getting perfect strikes, the game makes you get one past their defenses but then you can just flail while they are stunned so those controls might as well not be there.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Well I completed another dungeon tonight......I don't know. It just doesn't grab me like the others have, I was quite happy to come off it after a couple of hours, whilst normally I am reluctant to come off and have to be forcabley removed by the missus xD

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I personally think that most Zelda games are pretty crap overall. The series seems to use Nostalgia as an excuse to just release the same game over and over with no real improvements.

desfer

Necromancer
And then when they re-released it for the 3DS and you found yourself completely overwhelmed with it, as if playing the gamed for the first time again, you knew this wasn't true.
Unfortunately, I haven't played it on 3DS. I don't have a 3DS :rolleyes: but, i am sure what you said will happen if i play it again :tongue: