• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi all

Many moons ago, some of you may recall I promised a tutorial on snow basing. At long last you'll be pleased to know I've prepped some bases and (finally) kept my word!

Why Snow Basing? Well it all started when I first joined CN. I'd just completed my Winged Vampire Lord (for the thread click here) for my Games Workshop's Brotherhood of the Brush Painting competition.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0725_1.jpg

Many of you fell in love with the model, but more importantly, as many fell in love with the base. Boo asked me to write some tutorials which I was happy to do (the skin tutorial can be found here). Unfortunately, life got in the way of the snow basing and so it got pushed to one side. Story over, let us get on with the show!

Equipment

You will need:

Bases - ready to go with the scatter and paint of your choice!
PVA Glue
Bicarbonate of Soda (N.B. This is not the same as baking powder) or Snow Scatter
White Filler/Tile Adhesive/Grout etc
A palette
Mixing/Application tools

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0721_1.jpg

and finally...

IMAGINATION

IMPORTANT ADVICE
SotF said:
Before you start with the snow, consider how you're basing it to start with. Pick additions to it that fit the season though there are a minor handful of exceptions). You can't simply use the same green flock you would for other seasons grass or leaves.

This is a key point that SotF raises. You can't just bash snow onto a summer themed Wood Elf. It would just look ridiculous. It's really important to tailor the base accordingly, both in the colour palette and the kind of foliage you might be using. This would mean adding foliage that falls moree towards the late autumn/winter side of things. You can get some great materials online, from dead leaves to different flocks and scatters.

My personal favourite is a site called Antenociti's Workshop. They offer a fantastic range of products for scratchbuilding, modelling, painting and basing.
The Army Painter also has some great products that are extremely useful.

Shop around, but don't be adverse to looking at what you have at home first. There are often surprises hidden in your spice rack!

Some examples of materials are below:

Early Autumn Tufts - These are probably a little too green!
awww.antenocitisworkshop.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_smaa7817aa5ff65e3cb161e93a747138944.jpg
Imaged sourced from Antenociti's Workshop

amywargaming.files.wordpress.com_2010_01_leaves1.jpg
Image of Antenociti's Workshop Products @ Mywargaming.files.wordpress.com

So basing done, you are now ready to make your models all wintery!

The different types of snow

We all know that snow comes in various different forms, depths and temperatures. Alpine snow for example, is light and powdery and often very deep. British snow on the other hand tends to be much wetter, mushier snow. So firstly you need to decided on a consistency for your snow. You may need to experiment first to find one you like.

Secondly once you've decided how you want it to look, you need to decide on the type of scatter.

For the richer of you, this may be a scatter from GW or Woodland Scenics. These tend to be quite good as they're designed for this purpose, but they are a little on the pricey side. If like me you want cheap, you can still get great effects with Sodium Bicarbonate (a.k.a Bicarbonate of Soda). As mentioned earlier this is NOT Baking Powder/Soda. Unless you want your snow to turn yellow over time, stay well away from this. It may also be important to mention that if you're using anything other than PVA, make sure it's acid free as this will make the soda foam (it being an alkali). Some PVA glues mix better than others so it might be worthwhile experimenting.

The Process

Ok so you've got your bases done and you're ready to mount your army. Firstly you need to think about how you want your snow to look. The key to changing how yur snow looks, depends entire on the ratio of glue to scatter. More glue gives a wetter looking snow, and less gives a dryer snow. Like I said earlier, you're probably going to have to play to find one that suits you.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0726_1.jpg

Firsty you need to mix your scatter into the glue to the consistency you're after. Once you've done that you ned to apply it to the bases. Think about how the snow will look in real life. The wetter it is, the more likely it will be on flatter surfaces or near the ground.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0730_1.jpg

To make deep powder - Use the filler to apply a nice thick layer over the area you wish to cover. Once this is dry, use a semi-dry (about 50:50) snow mix and apply this over the top. Whilst the mix is still wet, sprinkle some snow scatter directly of the top and gently blow away any excess.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0741_1.jpg

To make slush - You need to use a very gluey mix for this as it will look more watery when it dries. Use a little more glue around the edges to make it look like it's melting.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0739_1.jpg

Light snow - For this you will need to simply apply glue to the base and sprinkle the snow scatter on top. Easy!

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0742_1.jpg

Here are some others.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0740_1.jpg
ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0743_1.jpg

And Finally...

The real trick is to play around. Try out different consistencies, maybe even on the same base if it's big enough. Finally, use your imagination. You may have noticed the Icicles on my Vampire's base. This was simply the lip from a box of screws I shaved with a scalple into a point. You could also use flying bases, although these are rather brittle and don't appreciate going too thin.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_0722_1.jpg

I've also seen frozen lakes done by painting an area on your base and then supergluing a piece from a blister pack onto the top. The glue when it sets, goes cloudy in places. With some of the snow techniques as well, it looks really effective.

Once you've based you miniatures, keep them in dust free area. The one problem with a vivid white surface is that it attracts dust like flies to the proverbial!

Have a go, play around and remember, the bigger the base, the more you can do! If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help out. If you find it useful let me know, but more importantly, if you have a go, please share your stories and photos!

Happy Basing!

Cheers folks,

u_m

USEFUL LINKS:

Games Workshop Snow Tutorial

Antenociti's Workshop

The Army Painter

Generaltso

Zombie
Dec 27, 2010
Franklin, Pa.
RE: Snow Basing

Great tutorial Untitled_Muskateer! :thumbsup: Awesome how you broke down the consistancy of the mixtures for different effects of deep powder and slushy snow. I will add this to my bag o tricks. Thanks much!:rock:

count kill alot

Vargheist
May 16, 2010

Nice tutorial you’ve made here ill have to try it out, maybe when I start a dwarf army for that mountain look.
I know you’ve already been complimented like a million times before for that vamp but just want to say he’s awesome. :happy:

Dogmar

Varghulf
Aug 3, 2010

Great tutorial u_m, nicely written and informative. On a sidenote: if you want deep snow (so low amount of glue) but have problems to make it stick, just use more glue and add a bit of white paint. That evens out the wet look the glue gives to the mix.

Cheers :)

uglybug

Grave Guard
Aug 14, 2010
NJ

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Perfect timing for something i have in mind too

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands

Big thanks
I was thinking about an army theme, and after reading this article I decided it to be a winter theme.
Maybe even a zombie Santa in the army:D

Is it possible to apply snow on models themeselves, and would you do that before or after painting it?

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield

Cuzzy said:
Is it possible to apply snow on models themeselves, and would you do that before or after painting it?

Yes you can apply it to models but don't go mad! If you do apply it to models consider how it would sit on the mini. Most people when walking in snow will probably only get a light dusting/specks here and there unless they've been still for a long period. I'd focus on the legs (kicking it up) and shoulders/upper back of the mini. If we consider the VC, I would avoid applying snow to Spirits/Ghosts etc. for obvious reasons.

When using snow always make it the very last thing you do as you don't want to wreck the perfect, brilliant white nature of it. One word of warning, sometimes it can be a pain to get off, particularly if you go for deeper effects. Just be cafeful when applying it to minis, especially ones you've lovingly painted!

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield

Cuzzy said:
thanks for the advice
I´m thinking of using it on a necromancer (wich isn´t the most busy moving person)

No problem, welcome to the forum! You can expect more advice from us all on here! I'd be interested to see the Necromancer - I had visions of Gandalf on Carradras!

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Jan 7, 2011
the Netherlands

I still need to find a suitable miniature since I don't really like the GW one
Maybe even sculpting one
So it ight take a while before it's finished

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
The far north, near northrend

Cuzzy: If you wish to ask anything new about snowbasing then feel free to do so, but if you feel like discussing something else in your interest please make a new thread or PM u_m instead.

All the best,
Boo

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield

This is an issue! I will work on sorting it out - I've probably made changes to my Photobucket that's had a knock on effect!

Leave it with me!

SotF

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2010
Ohio

One other thing that wasn't mentioned and missed seems to be the basic thing.

Before you start with the snow, consider how you're basing it to start with. Pick additions to it that fit the season though there are a minor handful of exceptions). You can't simply use the same green flock you would for other seasons grass or leaves.

Now if you're trying for a theme of the army bringing snow with them, it works and the disconnect drives that home, but for a winter theme the disconnect ends up making it look a whole lot worse no matter how well the model looks.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield

Thanks Sotf. That's such a fundamental part and I can't believe I didn't cover it at the start. Actually it couldn't be easier to do now with the advent of tufts, particularly if you go for the late autumn/winter ones.

Would you mind if I quoted you into the tutorial and added that bit in?

Cheers,

u_m

SotF

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2010
Ohio

untitled_musketeer said:
Thanks Sotf. That's such a fundamental part and I can't believe I didn't cover it at the start. Actually it couldn't be easier to do now with the advent of tufts, particularly if you go for the late autumn/winter ones.

Would you mind if I quoted you into the tutorial and added that bit in?

Cheers,

u_m

Go ahead.

I've just seen so many people who want a snow base that tend to forget the layers under it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu